Dead TSDZ2 from bad display wiring??

mynameisfiber

100 µW
TLDR; So... I made some grade A mistakes yesterday and now my motor doesn't work. I'm using a TSDZ2 with the VLCD-5 display. Torque sensing doesn't work and when I try doing the walk-assist, it just hear a strange whining coming from the motor with no movement. It's actually less of a whining and more of a very quiet click followed by what almost sounds like electrical arcing?

Let me describe what I did:

I was really annoyed that I couldn't remove the display when I parked my bike. So, I bought some 8pin molex connectors and started wiring them into the display. I wired everything up, plugged it in, but the display wouldn't turn on. No wires were plugged in the to wrong place... but some wires just weren't making a connection. Then, as I was debugging, I realized THAT THE SCREEN COULD ALREADY BE REMOVED :( . It just wasn't documented anywhere. So, completely frustrated but realizing that I may as well reverse what I did and use the built in functionality, I removed the molex and rewired everything together.

With everything rewired, soldered, tested and heat shrunk, I turn on the display and it _LOOKS_ correct..., I get speed on the display (which changes as I bike around), the buttons change mode, I'm able to go into the configuration for the display... it even still has my stats from before I tried this whole thing... but the motor just won't turn! It just makes a very quiet click followed by what almost sounds like electrical arcing

So my question is... what is the problem? Did I somehow burn out the motor controller?

ONE LAST piece of information... I kept the battery unplugged from the bike all last night... I had a theory that there may be a capacitor holding an erroneous state in the controller and if I gave it time to discharge it'd reset. Well, this morning when I did the "plug battery in, try walk assist" test, it started moving (although making very strange noises)... I stopped immediately (my room isn't big enough for my bike to move around), and when I tried it again living the back tire, it went back to making the arcing sound.

I got a video of the motor "moving" and making that strange sound. Note that even when I turn on walk assist and the axel DOESN'T spin, it makes that noise. Also... the motor has almost no torque and I can stall it easily with my hands when it is rotating.

[youtube]gRfrPRN4lkg[/youtube]

5 years later!?

Back