9Continent - 9C30H88

pkirkll

100 W
Could anyone shed some light on this motor for me.

I am just now getting back to recumbent trikes after a couple of years away.

I bought a Greenspeed Magnum that happened to have this motor on the rear with a controller that is about 4" x 6"

The first time i tried it out it was intermittent. When the throttle was twisted it would turn for about a second and the kick off.
Twist the throttle again the same thing about one second of ooomph...

The whole thing had only 20 miles on it---
I am wondering if I may need a new controller. (The battery is a sealed 36v lead acid one from ebikes? )

I had a Pedego fat bike that was stolen in LA and i still have one 48v battery that I may use after i put some new connectors on it.

I tried it in my hotel room by picking the wheel off the ground and twisting the throttle---- it would keep turning the when then.

I am hoping the motor is OK.

But i think if i were riding it would do the cut out thing again.

paul

That's the voltage before the batteries cut out?

My guess is that they're dead.

That could very well be. Nep

All the history i could get was it didn't work for the prior owner.

I will give it a go tomorrow and see if it does it with the freshly charged pack. I cant tell if they are charged up or not--
dont have my tools with me.

But the cheapo computer will show a full battery until i pedal out of the parking lot. lol

I havent been able to chase down any info on that 9Continent motor either. I would like to know what the specs are on it.

Yeah you can only tell by viewing the voltage under load - with a watt meter or similar device.

If the motor looks like an older 9 continent but wider, you're in luck because i imagine that's a 30mm wide motor rated for twice the power of the uber old ones you remember.

Yay, i was hoping that was also the case....the motors that I have found mention of were going up in nomenclature as they got wider. (right?)

It look similar to this one-- i dont know if it is a screw on hub or not.

I would like to be able to use it as a PAS motor. (and for getting across red lights quickly)

Screen Shot 2018-11-20 at 9.10.05 PM.png

Glad to be back on the forum...

(Still have my Luna Cycle with Mike's Big Block on it.)
I may part it out with the Rohloff and BB selling separately. Haven't decided yet... That frame just didnt cut it.
It couldn't stand the pressure when i cranked on the BB---the dropouts bent and spread so i was left afoot in the desert one fine day.... but live and learn.

I am mainly going to use the recumby for a trainer to lose some dam weight---10 pounds down in two weeks !!!!

Will check back in tomorrow after i take a ride ....

Thx for your help neptronix

That's pretty rough..

If the 30mm wide motor is in a 20" wheel, you are in luck.
Check the ebikes motor simulator ( use the mxus 3005 ), but it looks like that motor can do 1500w continuous in the small wheel :shock:

Nep,--Lots of edits on this post-- learning more about the trike as i go---

I tried the simulator and didnt quite understand it. Mainly because I dont know much about what to input.

I dont know much about controllers, but I will learn. I am also trying to learn the difference the windings make in these hub motors.

I measured the hub today and it is 30mm wide. And yes it is in a 20 " wheel. With a 36 volt SLA 17 pound battery pack!.
And with fully charged batteries it did not cut out----( You were right about the batteries not being charged up.).

I dont know the specs on the controller---looks like it came in a kit from ebikes

I took it out for a quick spin today in the hotel parking lot before it began to rain.
It hit 13 mph with the throttle only. (I am weighing 320 now)

Computer display is an KT-LCD3 V2.0 4K . --I don't know if it is set up correctly for this 20" recumbent wheel or not--- Saw a brief video on how to program it and I will study that more while i am off work today and tomorrow.

I am trying to figure out how to set up a PAS system that really works.
I may be better off asking Grin for a controller, PAS, and a V2 or V3 display, plus a throttle.
i have a 48v Pedego 11ah battery and charger that didnt get stolen with the bike so i would like to use it if i can figure out how to run some leads from it. If not i will ask Justin and see what they have---

ANY suggestions about this whole idea would be appreciated.

On another note I don't see a torque arm on it ...

AND...... I still dont understand why I cant find the specs for the motor anywhere on the interweb...

Fun getting back into it tho---

Thanks for any help----

BTW-
I subscribed to your youtube channel to get more info on the keto life--- i tried last year but i think i was eating way too much fat... I finally got tired of eating mushy stuff hahahaha--- I am motivated to get back in the saddle and drop this weight--my knees have been killing me lately--- My brother--(bless his heart)---said, " WEll Paul it's no wonder your knees and feet hurt, it's like trying to run Volkswagen tires on a coal truck!"--- later dude.

Back