VESC cannot run Hub Motor

bilkenter

100 µW
Hello everyone,

I am trying to build a system which has 500 watt Shengyi hub motor, VESC 4.1.2 and battery pack 36 volt 16 ah. I configure it on VESC software app but my hub motor barely turns. I recorded with video which shows my configuration and reaction of motor. Here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAy5zwePG4k

Your comments are really important to me. If you have any further questions related with system, I am happy to answer it.

Best

Its possible I am sure. I can’t see the video. Are you using foc or square?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am using in BLDC mode(square).

Why you couldn't see the video? The link is not working?

Thanks

Had to connect to wifi. Video is working but can’t watch it loud due to family asleep

Motor is running backwards; it's a geared hub so the motor inside is running fast, and only the slight friction against the clutch is letting it slightly push the casing and wheel.

If you put your hand on the tire, you'll find the wheel doesn't even try to move, but you'll still hear the motor run.

You need to set it up so it runs forwards instead. If you can't do it in the software, simply switch any two of the phase wires, if it is sensorless. If it is sensored, you switch the two phase wires, then swap hall sensor wires around until it runs forwards at low current unloaded.

amberwolf said:
Motor is running backwards; it's a geared hub so the motor inside is running fast, and only the slight friction against the clutch is letting it slightly push the casing and wheel.

If you put your hand on the tire, you'll find the wheel doesn't even try to move, but you'll still hear the motor run.

You need to set it up so it runs forwards instead. If you can't do it in the software, simply switch any two of the phase wires, if it is sensorless. If it is sensored, you switch the two phase wires, then swap hall sensor wires around until it runs forwards at low current unloaded.

Thank you for your suggestions. I am bit busy for these days. I will tell the results when I tried.

Hello everyone,

I saw arguably new and interesting lithium battery which is Lithium Titanate Battery(LTO). It has high discharge and charge current characteristic. Also, it has lower degradation graph when comparing with lithium ion battery. For further information :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-titanate_battery

I am planning to build 18s 1p battery pack. My battery cell features: 2.3 volt nominal voltage. It varies between 1.5-2.8 volts. Single cell can charge and discharge 400 amps continuous.

I assume that, I don’t need BMS because there is no parallel cell or Am I missing something? What kind of protection do I need when I charge or discharge my battery pack?

I am looking forward to hear your technical suggestions.

Best Burak

bilkenter said:
I don’t need BMS because there is no parallel cell

It's the other way round. You need a BMS because you have series cells. Some will say LTO is much safer and tolerant to overdischarge / overcharge and stays in balance much better, so BMS isn't really needed, but that's the kind of thing you can do at your own discretion if you feel lucky.

Additionally, you probably don't care about how long LTO lasts (most cells will last over 5 years), but care that it has a significantly lower energy density than other cell types, making your pack much heavier than it needs to be.

cricketo said:
bilkenter said:
I don’t need BMS because there is no parallel cell

It's the other way round. You need a BMS because you have series cells. Some will say LTO is much safer and tolerant to overdischarge / overcharge and stays in balance much better, so BMS isn't really needed, but that's the kind of thing you can do at your own discretion if you feel lucky.

Additionally, you probably don't care about how long LTO lasts (most cells will last over 5 years), but care that it has a significantly lower energy density than other cell types, making your pack much heavier than it needs to be.

Thanks for your kind response. I will have question:

1-)You said that balancing the cells. Do you mean every cells will have same voltage? There is no harm for battery cells to be in different voltage level because they connected series not parallel. I could miss something but I don't see any meaning to try to make all series battery cell same voltage.

bilkenter said:
1-)You said that balancing the cells. Do you mean every cells will have same voltage? There is no harm for battery cells to be in different voltage level because they connected series not parallel. I could miss something but I don't see any meaning to try to make all series battery cell same voltage.

I think what you're missing is the basic understanding of battery design. You will be charging your pack as a whole, so any cell that has higher voltage than the rest may be pushed beyond its maximum voltage when pack is fully charged. Likewise, any cell with lower voltage than the rest can be pushed below its minimum voltage upon discharge.

If you charge 10 cells in series to 4.2V, then the pack will be at 42.0V. However, let's just say that eight of the cells are at 4.2V, one cell is at 4.1V, and one cell is at 4.3V.

The charger has no way of knowing that one cell is at 4.3V, which is very dangerous, and at a minimum, it would lead to a quick death for that cell.

I know that you mentioned a 2.3V per cell for LTO, but the same scenario would apply.

bilkenter said:
I saw arguably new and interesting lithium battery which is Lithium Titanate Battery(LTO).
Not new; you may wish to read up on it in the various threads around here, which include battery management and other info for various brands and models of cells, packs, etc.:

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=lto&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=titan*&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

There's probably more, but those are probably enough to give you more info.

Hello everyone,

I have started to build my own electric motorcycle. My setup consists of 5 kw golden BLDC motor and flipsky 6.6 vesc.

I have tried to find my necessary values(R, L etc.) to run my BLDC motor by using Vesc tool. Vesc cannot rotate in FOC mode or BLDC mode so it cannot detect necessary values. I have recorded video which shows my setup and parameters that I have assigned.

I bring the youtube links which shows my setup and parameters:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRUGamM8dpY&t=57s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhvGCOrkup8

I am waiting your suggestions to solve this issue.

Thanks

Back