Q100H / 20A Sine Controller - Speed Sensor stopped working, display not registering MPH

Lovelock

10 W
Hey, I've got a new project that is a q100h + PSW Power 20a sine controller.

It's been working fine but this evening I've been tidying up the cabling a bit. Everything is back together but I've noticed the display (LCD3) isn't showing the MPH / speed no more. It's stuck at 0.

I've tried a different motor cable but its still not working, when putting the bike back together I accidentally put the blue and green wires the wrong way and they got a bit hot...

Is it possible I've broken the speed sensor in the motor by doing this? Or anything else to check?

There are different blue and green wires for different parts of the system
For instance

For a 3 speed switch,
or
Hall Sensor Wires
or
?

Can you take some pictures and show which blue and green wires and where they connect to ?

I do not have the answer , but once you say and show exactly which blue and green wires someone else here on E.S. can tell you what happened.

Lovelock said:

I've tried a different motor cable but its still not working, when putting the bike back together I accidentally put the blue and green wires the wrong way and they got a bit hot...

ScooterMan101 said:
There are different blue and green wires for different parts of the system
For instance

For a 3 speed switch,
or
Hall Sensor Wires
or
?

Can you take some pictures and show which blue and green wires and where they connect to ?

I do not have the answer , but once you say and show exactly which blue and green wires someone else here on E.S. can tell you what happened.

Lovelock said:

That's a good point! Its the motor phase wires that I touched.

However, riding today the speedo seem to start working again but not right away. It took maybe 200 metres or so before it started registering the speed and no only works when pedalling but drops down to 0 when rolling / throttle.

The q100h does have the internal speed sensor, its almost like the PAS is acting as the sensor.

I'll check what the P parametre should be.

From what I've experienced and read, the KT controllers can use either a speed sensor or phase wire for a speed signal - assuming you're running DD. If geared, you need the speed sensor as the motor is declutched if you are coasting/not pedaling and the phase wires will not provide a signal/speed indication.

If it was working before you started messing with the wires, it's almost certain you pulled a wire apart to my way of thinking.

The Q100H speed sensor is the white wire at the end of the motor cable. It uses the same 5V and ground as the three Hall signals, so if they work, the speed signal should be there. You should be able to spin the wheel with power on and watch the line move up/down once per rpm with a voltmeter.

Q100H's use the 9 pin motor cable, but if your kit uses the extension cable that terminates in bullets and the 6 pin Hall connector, you can check it there.

I recall that P1=205 and P2=1 for the LCD3 P parameters when you use a Q100H and the LCD3. COuld be wrong about P1. Don't want to go look it up. The controller measures speed from the Halls when it is running and calculates it via P1 parameter. When you coast, it switches to the speed sensor. P2 says the internal sensor flashes 1x per rev.

The KT controllers have several options for how they pick up the speed. If your motor has the white wire in the cable, you set parameter P2 =1 in the LCD settings to use it. If it doesn’t, you have two options. Firstly, you can set P2=0, which will use a general signal from the motor, but that will only show your speed when the motor is driving the bike. Secondly, you can use an external wheel magnet sensor and set P2=1.

Hub motors like the Q100 usually have the internal speed sensor and white wire, but it's not uncommon for the internal magnet to become detatched, in which case if you had P2=0, the controller would automatically switch to the general motor signal and show speed only when the motor's driving. If the magnet becomes detached, the easiest and quickest soluton is an external wheel magnet sensor.

Regardless of which sensor you use, the controller can often pick up the right speed signal with P2=0, but if there's any problem with the sensor, it'll switch to using the general motor signal. It won't do that on any other setting.

In other words, most people just connect things up and it all works OK on general settings, but if something goes wrong later, you have to go to the settings and put them right.

I've got a KT controller that goes nuts trying to display speed when motor is running. Works OK when coasting on the external speed sensor.

It's not a Q100 motor and I have the wrong P1 setting not knowing either magnet count or gear ratio. If I spin the motor backward and count the number of toggles off one Hall sensor, that should be P1?

docw009 said:
I've got a KT controller that goes nuts trying to display speed when motor is running. Works OK when coasting on the external speed sensor.

It's not a Q100 motor and I have the wrong P1 setting not knowing either magnet count or gear ratio. If I spin the motor backward and count the number of toggles off one Hall sensor, that should be P1?
You need to set P2=1 to use an external sensor. It can get confused if you use the default P2=0.

Back