12G Spokes

Gow864

100 W
Can anyone tell me where I can get a "dye" (i think that is what it is called) for cutting threads on the end of 12G spokes, it seems easy to get one for 14G, but not 12G.

Thanks,
Gow.

ebikes.ca can cut any length you need and if you own a 530x they can ship you a set quickly.

Hey, since you guys are on the subject, sort of... Is it worth it to lace a new wheel onto my BL-36 aetoma motor? I was going to post this question as I've popped a spoke and haven't gotten my spares yet, the stock wheel seems like a real POS, so was thinking to replace wheel, or just repair and save for a BMC with good wheel later :wink:

No, I have never done a wheelbuild, yes, I'm pretty mechanically inclined, no trueing stand...yet?

Any opinions welcome.

Chris

Most bike spoke machines can do only 13 or 14 gauge spokes. This includes Phil Wood, Hozan and Morizumi. And Drunkskunk is right - the threads are rolled onto the spoke. You do NOT want die-cut spokes.

For 12 gauge, I would suppose you would need a motorcycle rig. Justin Le at ebikes.ca has a Phil Wood machine, but I believe he does only 13 and 14 gauge spokes.

And Christobel931, if you really want to build your first wheel, read some of my posts in the other threads about wheelbuilding. There are excellent resources available for amateur wheelbuilders that can yield professional results.

Thanks all, still no luck though. PhilWood etc don't do 12g and the MC thread rollers I've found only do 8,9 & 10g.

Gow.

cycles use spokes much thicker than 12gauge. 8, 9 and 10 gauge are common sizes. since the French as always, have gone their own way and have their own Gauge sizes.

rather than wire guage sizes most manufactures have switched to metric dimensions for spokes. to convert from gauge to metric diameter:

15 = 1.8mm
14 = 2.0mm
13 = 2.3mm
12 = 2.6mm
10 = 3.2mm
9 = 3.6mm
8 = 4mm
7 = 4.45mm
6 = 4.87mm
5 = 5.15mm
4 = 5.7mm

now to get 12gauge spokes you have to visit the track usually, sorry but the europeans and asians likely won't find them locally, just because harness racing is not popular there.

the horse drawn "Sulky" cart uses 12gauge spokes. you can usually find someone at the local harness shop who can set you up with a set of custom length spokes and nipples.

likely also have to drill out the rims to take the oversize nipples.

rick

wanders said:
And Christobel931, if you really want to build your first wheel, read some of my posts in the other threads about wheelbuilding. There are excellent resources available for amateur wheelbuilders that can yield professional results.

Done, thanks for the direction. Sorry for the highjack, was in a hurry... :oops:

rkosiorek said:
now to get 12gauge spokes you have to visit the track usually, sorry but the europeans and asians likely won't find them locally, just because harness racing is not popular there

Cool, Rick! Very nice bit of info.

Gow864 said:
Can anyone tell me where I can get a "dye" (i think that is what it is called) for cutting threads on the end of 12G spokes, it seems easy to get one for 14G, but not 12G.

What are you trying to accomplish? With the same rim, a wheel with thick spokes will loosen and come out of true at a much lower load than a wheel with thinner spokes. If it's reliability you want, use 14-15ga double butted spokes with most bicycle rims. For very heavy and stiff rims that can take more tension, 13-14ga single butted spokes work well.

If for some other reason you need to use extra-fat spokes (for instance if your hub and rim are already drilled for them), you'll find you have to use a threadlocking compound on the spoke threads or they won't stay tight.

The advice you have been getting from others regarding rolled vs. cut spoke threads is right on-- don't use cut threads unless that's the only way to get rolling again in an emergency.

Chalo

http://www.danscomp.com/ has some nice 12 gauge stainless Sapim spokes if you need the length they come in as they don't cut them. I got my 170 mm for the GM to 26inch wheel there.

Here's a 12ga one:
CU-152.jpg
http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.c...Building&tc=Threading-Machines&item_id=CU-152

Here's the deal: You need to spend a few G's for a shop quality spoke cutter, one used regularly. Otherwise, your limited to an option like I've linked to above. If you are careful you should be able to get a few wheels worth of spokes cut from it. Here's the site's 'tech tip':

Code:
Improper adjustment of the dies on spoke rolling machines can result in extremely short die life (as little as 5 or 10 spokes), and when properly used and adjusted the dies can last for several hundred spokes. There are several factors that contribute to wear on the spoke rolling dies including die adjustment (the die's rolling diameter), lubrication, speed (how fast you thread the spoke), and whether or not you start from pre-existing threads or on a blank spoke. The die should be adjusted on the threads of a factory threaded spoke of the same gauge of the spoke to be threaded. If possible, start threading from existing threads, feed at a slow hand rate, and use a light oil as a lube.

Back