Issues with BBS02

Hi!

I build a bike for someone with a BBS02, 52V 17.5Ah shark battery and 500c display.
I tested it and it worked flawlessly. He came back to me though that 2/3 times after standing still, the motor won't kick in. The display works though. After riding for a while, it will kick in randomly and work for the rest of the ride.

What could be the problem?
He handed it over to me to use so I can try and find out the issue. I will write again when my findings differ from his.

Controller issues have been common with these ever since they came out in what... 2014?

I would look for loose wires first.. and then try to rule out a bad controller.

neptronix said:
Controller issues have been common with these ever since they came out in what... 2014?

I would look for loose wires first.. and then try to rule out a bad controller.

What's the best way to check if everything is properly connected? Everything seems to be plugged in good.
And how would I rule out a bad controller? By replacing it / getting it replaced?

fechter said:
Does it work with the throttle?
It doesn't have a throttle installed (not legal here). I do have one laying around for my own project so could check, but I have to get it to not work on me first I guess so I even know it's an issue.
I noticed the motor doesn't kick in on PAS 1, high gearing and slow cadence. I know that he has a pretty low cadence, probably around 50-60, so it could be that he was on a low PAS setting and that the motor kicked in when he gained peddled a little harder. I'll ask him tomorrow.

I also noticed that the battery percentage on the display doesn't go down. If I set the battery indicator to voltage it does, but then it still doesn't lose stripes.
It has been fully charged when connected and the battery lights on the battery itself did go down from 4 to 3 green lights.

Pizzabroodje said:
What's the best way to check if everything is properly connected? Everything seems to be plugged in good.

My highly scientific technique is to wiggle cables and smack things around while riding under power. If something is loose, you'll feel the power cut out.

Pizzabroodje said:
And how would I rule out a bad controller? By replacing it / getting it replaced?

Sorry, but i wouldn't know. I got rid of my bbs02 when it left me stranded the second time and never really tried to fix it. It was only 1 month old. Surely there's some good advice here for controller diagnosis if you use the google search option on the top right of the site.

neptronix said:
Pizzabroodje said:

My highly scientific technique is to wiggle cables and smack things around while riding under power. If something is loose, you'll feel the power cut out.

Pizzabroodje said:

Sorry, but i wouldn't know. I got rid of my bbs02 when it left me stranded the second time and never really tried to fix it. It was only 1 month old. Surely there's some good advice here for controller diagnosis if you use the google search option on the top right of the site.

The weird thing is, it only occurs to him when beginning to ride. After it has kicked in, it will continue to work all the way.
He also said he thinks it's okay when you begin again after standing still at a red light.
I don't think it would be the cables, as everything else gets power. The display stays on, and there also are lights attached to the battery which continue to work. The speedometer and everything continue to work too.

I've ridden it myself for 12km (with 3 stops) at 30-40kmh at pretty much all times. It only has a suspension saddle, so the bike itself shakes quite a bit, and I also went over some speed bumps at 25+ kmh. I think if the wires were to be loose, they would have come undone during the ride right?

TommyCat said:
Sticky Ebrake switch or flaky gear shift sensor? If you ever get it to bug out... try unplugging one at a time.

Could it be because the IGH was'nt adjusted correctly and thus the shift sensor was tripping? Because I also noticed some weird clicking when pedaling hard, so I checked and the IGH wasn't properly adjusted. (There are two yellow lines that should align in 4th gear, adjustable at the shifter)

TommyCat said:
GS-I model gear sensor?

I don't know. I bought the sensor from Em3Ev with the kit. I believe it says gear-sensor.com but I'm not sure as it's covered I amalgamating tape right now.

fechter said:
Try unplugging the gear sensor as a test.

I'll test it first with the fixed IGH adjustment.
If it still won't work properly I'll try with the gear sensor unplugged.

Really sounds like flaky brake/gear sensor.

I've had the BBS02 controller not respond to throttle input before, but it's always displayed an error code on the display at some point while doing so.

neptronix said:

What mid drive motors you would recommend now in 2019 as 'reliable' in range 250 ~ 500w ?

The BBS02 motor itself seems pretty reliable. I had a couple of controllers blow because of what I suspect was bad waterproofing, switched to an external controller mounted up under the seat a few years ago and haven't had a single minute of downtime since then.

I ride around 1000km a month for reference.

A BBSHD would certainly be reliable at that power level. Bigger and heavier than a BBS02, but not that much.

bbs01 02 began 250w 350w

02 rating magically grew to 500w 750w

900w 1200w peaks

reality 500w 600w continuous cool temps

hand or temp sensor

will not react quickly enough

be mindful continuous power

can be very dependable

sans water of course

front tire will spray water

directly inside older 02

through bolt holes

dunno about redesigned units

martinw said:
What mid drive motors you would recommend now in 2019 as 'reliable' in range 250 ~ 500w ?

I don't know, i don't use mid drives because i need the most reliable and least complex powertrain available. Every mid drive i've read about on this forum has it's own issues that prevent it from being reliable enough for me.
Wrong guy to ask.

fechter said:
Try unplugging the gear sensor as a test.

dustNbone said:
Really sounds like flaky brake/gear sensor.

I've had the BBS02 controller not respond to throttle input before, but it's always displayed an error code on the display at some point while doing so.

I tested the bike about 15 times, but every time it worked.
I told him to come by again to test it, and let him start of in first gear in PAS 5 (of 5). The motor immediately kicked in for him. When I Asked him to start of in the 4th gear and PAS 5, it didn't kick it for 10 meters, but then he turned around and it kicked in.
My guess is that he just pedals too lightly and slow and thus the motor doesn't always kick in.
I'll see if he gets the hang of it now and if that's indeed the issue. If not I'll post back.

There are configuration options in the BBSxx controller relating to how the PAS engages, I don't use PAS (or the stock controller for that matter) so I'm not super familiar with them but I'd check out the programming BBSxx thread on here and see if any of them relate to your problem.

Back