BionX D500 48V 8.8Ah Battery Diagnosis?

groovely

1 µW
Hi all,

I'm new here so bare with me, I'm hoping someone can help me out. I've been riding a D500 intermittently on a cargo bike since 2016. When the system was added to the bike BionX assured me that the RX rack batteries would work fine with this system. After my first battery needed to be warrantied, they indicated that this was not related to the battery style and sent a replacement.

At the end of last year I began experiencing an issue, after a long period of the bike being parked (I usually ride my non-electric). When I try to pedal with assist or use the throttle, the battery will give two quick beeps followed by a pause (see the video here). Maybe obvious but: the beeps don't happen unless there is draw from the battery (not in regen).

I have entered diagnostic mode and "Err 22" is shown.

I took the bike to a local shop (who bought out most of BionX's remaining business) and after initially being confident it was the motor controller, they tried it with a new battery and it worked like new. This points to the battery or BMS. The battery appears to charge and discharge and behave in any other way normally, so I'm wondering if this is likely the BMS within the battery?

The whole system (including two batteries) has less than 1500kms on it. At this point I'm likely looking to just sell it, ideally to an enthusiast who wants to tinker and enjoy it, but I want to be honest and know what I am selling to them.

Thanks for reading.

Back