Cycle Analyst V3 Power vs Torque mode

Can someone explain to me what the difference is between power mode and torque mode on the cycle analyst? I do not have one yet, but I was told that I would not be able to use the torque throttle mode because my controller doesn't have a CA output. Just wanted to know whether it's worth upgrading my controller or not. One of the main reasons I want one is to smooth out the power delivery of my twitchy throttle and make it feel a little bit more like an ICE.

Hi.
You can use torque throttle mode with any controller as long as you use an external shunt.
https://www.ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-parts/ca-accessories/shunts.html
If you can't use torque mode then power mode won't work either, because power (Watt) is calculated by multiplying Amps (which are proportional to the torque) by Volts. Without current measurement from a shunt (either external or built into the controller) CA can't do torque throttle or power throttle.

Power mode is very similar to torque mode as long as the battery is full. As the pack voltage drops, power mode will increase torque (compared to torque mode) to compensate for the voltage drop.

CA can also smooth power delivery regardless of mode used by slowing down the ramp up of the throttle signal sent to the controller.

TL;DR - You don't have to upgrade your controller, you can use torque mode with an external shunt or slow down the throttle without a shunt.

Avner.

ferret said:
Hi.
You can use torque throttle mode with any controller as long as you use an external shunt.
https://www.ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-parts/ca-accessories/shunts.html
If you can't use torque mode then power mode won't work either, because power (Watt) is calculated by multiplying Amps (which are proportional to the torque) by Volts. Without current measurement from a shunt (either external or built into the controller) CA can't do torque throttle or power throttle.

Power mode is very similar to torque mode as long as the battery is full. As the pack voltage drops, power mode will increase torque (compared to torque mode) to compensate for the voltage drop.

CA can also smooth power delivery regardless of mode used by slowing down the ramp up of the throttle signal sent to the controller.

TL;DR - You don't have to upgrade your controller, you can use torque mode with an external shunt or slow down the throttle without a shunt.

Avner.

Thanks, which one is closer to the throttle response you would get out of a traditional internal combustion engine? And I'm guessing it works by limiting the amount of current coming from the battery?

I guess power mode is more similar to ICE than torque mode because it is less effected by battery voltage drop, but the difference is usually negligible.
CA limits the amount of current generated by the system by lowering the throttle signal sent into the controller then the current is about to exceed the desired limits.
With a CA, controlling the current and the throttle ramp up rate (sensitivity), you will have a wide range of adjustments to achieve the ICE feeling you are looking.

For tunning the throttle reaction, I would definitely recommend getting the CA instead changing the controller.

Avner.

ferret said:
I guess power mode is more similar to ICE than torque mode because it is less effected by battery voltage drop, but the difference is usually negligible.
CA limits the amount of current generated by the system by lowering the throttle signal sent into the controller then the current is about to exceed the desired limits.
With a CA, controlling the current and the throttle ramp up rate (sensitivity), you will have a wide range of adjustments to achieve the ICE feeling you are looking.

For tunning the throttle reaction, I would definitely recommend getting the CA instead changing the controller.

Avner.

I see, thank you I'll probably order one today

Back