TTXGP Australia July 1st - 3rd

jonescg

100 MW
Well just as before the Australian organisers of the TTXGP, Forumla Xtreme, are taking their time for details to appear on the website, but I imagine this has to do with the USA and UK rounds being sooner.

Still, I will be there with Voltron, the twin Agni beast, as will Jon and his Catavolt, and Daniel with his Ripperton. I am guaranteed a podium! ;)

However, being from Perth I will need a place nearby to stay and have the bike delivered to. Hyena? HillHater? Who lives close to Eastern Creek Raceway?

PM me if you can help.

Cheerio,

CHRIS

I'm about an hour from eastern creek (~50ks) but if you can't find someone closer you can have the bike shipped here. I'd like to put you up for the night too but I suspect my wife would frown on it. It's been too difficult with the kids to even have my mates who live 5 minutes down the road over for a few beers let alone someone stay the night...

So yeah, sorry I can't be of too much assistance, but I can atleast hold your bike if you don't have any other options.

Disclaimer: I'd probably want a demo ride and I'd almost certainly come off it in doing so :lol:

What kind of friends do you have????

;)

I'll see if someone else can help, but I might need to get the bike to yours if I can't find another place.

Cheers mate, we'll keep in touch!

CHRIS

Holy gouging shitcakes batman, the race entry fee for the TTX-GP is $950! What the F*CK?

I have been waiting and building and anticipating the race for a long time, but I had no idea it was going to cost this much :x

We ought to just boycott them until they BEG us to compete. Seriously... :x :x

I might just have to pass the hat around to afford this fee. Bloody hell :(

Hyena said:
It's been too difficult with the kids to even have my mates who live 5 minutes down the road over for a few beers let alone someone stay the night...

so thats why you take it out on the ebike

jonescg said:
I might just have to pass the hat around to afford this fee. Bloody hell :(

Yeah I'll chip in to see a Perthite race

OK so me, Daniel and Jon are all holding back on paying the race entry fees. We believe that the cost of the weekend should be the same as for the petrol bikes - $450. We don't have a problem with the local race organisers as they have a motto of 'affordable racing for all', but they are wearing many of the costs that TTX-GP have bore upon them.

I still plan on attending, but I will only be paying $450, if I can help it. Otherwise, TTX-GP might be struggling to fill the first line of the grid.

I haven't ruled out a Paypal donations list, but I will see how we go.

Cheers,
CHRIS

Ouch, thats a bit rude.
Have you thought about getting some sponsorship ? Any local businesses you could hit up ? Or even Aussie ebike shops that want to get their name out there ?
That'd be a good bit of marketing for them. No ongoing obligations, they'd basically just sponsor you for this one race - $1000 odd in exchange for their sticker getting publicity on the side of your bike.

I'll give ya $20 if you paint HYENA ELECTRIC BIKES down the side in big writing :lol: :p

I have the TTXGP owners personal email and cell number if you want to bitch him out a bit. :)

If you don't have arrangments yet:

We can accept delivery of your bike and store it in our warehouse in Marrickville while you are here.

You can use applicable tools from our bike shop to tuneup / repair as needed.

We can lend you an electric bicycle to get around on in Sydney and/or at the track.

You can stay with one of us or sleep on the shop floor next to the Voltron if you like.

In return for some Glow Worm Bicycles stickers on your bike we can also contribute towards your entry fee though we would not be able to pay it all.

We may have a large container arriving around the same time so if you don't have a bad back (yet!) you could help us unload :lol:

Send me an email at info@glowwormbicycles.com.au if interested.

Cheers, Abraham

Awesome, thanks Abe!

I have recently spoken to Grant Cresswell about the costs and everything, and he suggested I ask the local AEVA branch for support. Unfortunately I missed the last meeting, but there was a generally lukewarm response last time I raised the issue. Anyway, I have raised about $180 from donations to my PayPal fundraiser, so that all helps. I sent my entry form in, so fingers crossed that Volcano in Chile stops belching ash for a week. If they want more bikes on the grid they should stop charging so much to get on the grid. Seems simple to me...

I also asked him if Eastern Creek Raceway has a forklift. If they do, I can get my bike delivered to the door, and I can make arrangements for it's storage later on. Otherwise, I will need someone with a ute, or van or trailer to cart my bike out to the track on Friday morning (I arrive in Sydney on the Thursday at about 3.10 pm).

I'm still looking for accommodation though. Preferably with someone who lives close to the track, or is actually heading out to the track each day. I could take ShittyRail, but that's only ideal if I can borrow an e-bike :)

Marrickville is pretty close to the middle of town. If one of your crew are heading out to the track every day, I'd be more than happy to stay with them!

Cheers,
CHRIS

glowwormbicycles said:
In return for some Glow Worm Bicycles stickers on your bike we can also contribute towards your entry fee
See, I told ya :lol:

Where's the details on your paypal donation account ? Was that posted elsewhere and I missed it ?
Could you not ride your bike from Marrickville to Eastern Creek ? It's only 35ks. Even with a pissy little pack you should get that sort of range when taking it easy. Ride it out late thursday arvo then get a lift or train out friday morning.

Also whats the go with the actual race ? I googled but couldn't find much info.
There's the main petrol bike races and then the electrics ? Is it a whole day ? A few quick heats ?
I'd like to make some sort of appearance if I can possibly swing it but won't have alot of time. Getting down to the pits to check out the bikes would be cool if you can get pit passes. I'll cruise in on my ebike if they allow it :p

Unfortunately there's not a lot of info about the races, as it's all pending on more than 2 bikes turning up :lol: The format is such that we share the Saturday and Sunday race days with the petrol bikes. More spectators that way. I have booked an extra 4 tickets, but they are only $15 each anyway. Some more information is available at www.efxc.com.au

My Donations thread is here: http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29093

All offers accepted :D

It's not registered either, so even though it will make it to the track, I'd probably get wiped out by an angry Westy on his way to the Rooty Hill Pub :D

jonescg said:
Unfortunately there's not a lot of info about the races, as it's all pending on more than 2 bikes turning up :lol:
Well you've got a good chance at winning at this rate!
Hell, I might enter my commuter bicycle. It'd be worth $1000 for the official bragging rights to say I came 3rd in the TTX GP :lol: :mrgreen:

I just made a small donation and also pledge use of my gopro for the race too.

Dr Chris Jones doing his best to channel Burt Munro in Australian TTXGP
1st July 2011

Perhaps better known for his research as a plant biochemist, Dr Chris Jones has built an electric superbike destined to race in the first round of the Australian TTXGP, Eastern Creek Raceway, Sydney. In circumstances not unlike those of New Zealand motorsport legend, Burt Munro, who set about braking records on his Indian motorcycle at Bonneville, Chris's creation is destined to make Australian racing history.

“It started out as an idea to make an electric motorbike. I wasn’t content building an e-bicycle, especially since I am quite familiar with steering my 1100 cc Blackbird around a racetrack. I needed more power!” Chris explains. Many days and nights were spent raising the ire of his neighbours, with the occasional bit of launch testing outside his house.

Over the last two years Chris set about building Voltron. He picked up an RG250 chassis from the wreckers and soon realised that much work was needed. After rebuilding the forks and brakes, it was time to electrify the bike. Inspired by the inaugural TTXGP winning bike, he decided on the twin-Agni motor setup, with the power supply coming from the proven high-power Kelly controller. Local Perth engineering firms were called upon for fabricating the motor mounts and battery racks.

It is managed by the proven EV-Power BMS module system with all the failsafes you would expect for such a build. His Cycle Analyst records power usage in real time, and acts as a ‘fuel’ gauge. He has seen 620 amps at 96 volts going through the controller. That’s about 60 kilowatts of power at the motor shaft.

Like Burt, Chris lives a very long way from the action, and has had few opportunities to test the bike fully. Nonetheless, the bike has been crated and is already on it’s way across the lonely Nullarbor Plain. Chris will fly to Sydney for testing on Friday, with official races being held on the 2nd and 3rd of July.

“I’m not too hell bent on winning races – I’m just stoked to see my machine in full swing, and have some fun. It has about the same kind of performance as a 350 cc gasser, and weighs about the same. It should be a blast, and I’m proud to be part of the movement!” he said.

Chris does not have any formal sponsorship for his tilt at the TTX-GP, but was kindly offered some replacement motor shafts and brushes from Agni Motors. He is still open to any propositions. “The president of my local Electric Vehicle Association handed me $100 and said, ‘here, I hope this helps!’”. Don’t worry mate, it already has!

http://www.egrandprix.com/news.php?id=230

Chris has updated his build thread and I've been tweeting a few photos if anyone's interested in following along.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12480&p=426180

Competitors for this round are:

Ripperton (Yamaha R1, single brushless motor, big kelly controller, lipo pouches)
Voltron (RG250, dual Agni 95R, big kelly controller, lifepo4 pouches)
Catavolt (Not sure about what donor frame chassis is, Enertrac hubmotor, kelly controller(s), cylindrical lifepo4)

Ripperton & Voltron were track testing yesterday, Catavolt is expected today for the first race.

Blown a motor at about 180 kph, bummer, hope he gets another to carry on racing today or tomoro :x

Hi all, so voltron does 177 km/h down the straight and handles pretty well- except I have cooked one of my motors when I pushed it to 180 :(. Seemed perfectly fine pulling 750 amps battery side but 800 cooked it. The other motor is perfectly fine! so does anyone in Sydney have a spare Agni?? Did really well otherwise

Hi All! Yep, thankfully we were able to source the last Agni95R in Sydney, pick it up and install it at Daniel's place last night. It's awesome to be part of the movement - Ripperton (Daniel) towed my bike back to his house where he and Abraham (glowworm) pulled it apart. By 11 pm we had the new motor back in and she was operational again :) Bit tired as I write this but we got through scrutineering just as we were supposed to be qualifying, so we decided we'd line up as per the wakefield times instead. I ripped off the line and made it to the front!!! Till turn one when Daniel got around me :lol: 1985 technology and a numpty like me riding it has a lot to do with it. Jason passed me a few turns later but I kept them in sight for another lap. By lap 4 Catavolt had some technical issues so I regained second and put in my fastest lap before seeing the chequered flag.

And I still had half a pack left :lol:

Fantastic fun and a great EV-atmosphere. We're all in it for the movement and it's awesome. Next race tomorrow, not sure when, should find out I suppose :oops:

Will put vids and pics up soon.

Cheers!

Chris

Oh damn, I totally forgot this was this weekend! :|
Congrats on your placing so far Chris, fingers crossed she holds out tomorrow too.
Bad luck about the motor but at the same time a lucky break you managed to get a replacement so quickly!

Wow that enertrac motor on catavolt is hugely wide! Is that the normal one you sell markcycle or an upgraded one ? The ones I recall seeing a while back looked more like a double width X5 but that ones looks wider again.

Good luck Chris!
I've got a spare Agni rotor for you in perfect shape. :)

Cedric spent like 30mins on the dyno tweaking brush timing by extremely small amounts to make our double Agni bike to get it having less than a 100-200amp difference between motors, otherwise it was only a twin Agni bike in appearence, as the current split was like 90%/10% split otherwise.

Hyena said:
Oh damn, I totally forgot this was this weekend! :|
Congrats on your placing so far Chris, fingers crossed she holds out tomorrow too.
Bad luck about the motor but at the same time a lucky break you managed to get a replacement so quickly!

Wow that enertrac motor on catavolt is hugely wide! Is that the normal one you sell markcycle or an upgraded one ? The ones I recall seeing a while back looked more like a double width X5 but that ones looks wider again.

The motor/wheel is based on our dual motor design with added forced air cooling

[youtube]aEpTwOHKjjw[/youtube]

liveforphysics said:
Good luck Chris!
I've got a spare Agni rotor for you in perfect shape. :)

Cedric spent like 30mins on the dyno tweaking brush timing by extremely small amounts to make our double Agni bike to get it having less than a 100-200amp difference between motors, otherwise it was only a twin Agni bike in appearence, as the current split was like 90%/10% split otherwise.

Usually a sign of mismatched motor speeds when they are hard to balance, usually takes me just a few mins to get within tolearances, and usually get to within 50A at 300A per motor (or I give up and find a better match on motor RPM). Of course, this only works when you have a lot of motors to choose from, which not many people do have right now! (Except Luke perhaps)
Another top tip, is to check resistance of the brushes one by one and match them (4 closest and lowest on + rail, others on - rail.) There has been a lot of variance on brush resistance recently, which is not good since the 4 need to share current equally at these high loads (8 if twin motored bike).
Filing the inside corner of the brushes also can help commutation reduce heat (the face corner closest to the centre of the motor).

About time there was an Agni tuning thread actually..might cut down on some of the unnessacary motor destruction!

An Agni tuning thread would be fantastic, and much needed.

Hmm, I'll talk to Cedric and see if I can drag him here for a joint effort. I pointed him at your video of his visit, he seemed very glad to hear it was there..

Back