Diamondback OverDrive 27.5 "RidgeRunner"

Alan B said:
I've only done the one trip to China Camp, clearly there's a lot more over there to explore. Lots of good stuff over in Marin as well.

How are those really tight switchbacks on an ebike? I recall a few of them and a bunch in a row when entering off the street. I'm guessing a decent throttle would make it easier to navigate the tight stuff.

I found this video, but I recall some spots with much tighter turns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=12&v=zOk1OqQSKt0

Brought this bike back from storage, took it for a spin. Shure feels different than the Borg. Left thumb throttle for one thing. Too much going on the right side with 9 speed trigger shifter etc. Hard to see the color display in sunlight. Would like crank rpm readout. Used the small 6AH battery, shure is lightweight configured like that.

Went from gear 3 to gear 9. In gear 3 tops out at about 20 on a modest grade, and has good starting torque. Have to do some comparisons to Speedhub gearing to understand how that might play out.

Back brake didn't squeal much at all. Hit 30 amps at one spot uphill. Was able to pedal and really help it out.

Alan B said:
I reviewed some of the video and found the Kamikaze Flying Squirrel at 0353:

pDxNq5gtGPH34URILY-ByVY0rmwfFVkHJy7jh0uwMz5wJ7PY0vGqnuws3oM-kAD_CA-JZ_0ZnA2bbaqCgV_dL1n784Q-c3ZZGAm0DDwmNkiiGzacNXDqBOEEFZwpqpOxSBKfrx0CXFKBcyafwGNC-kRJMyM0N6tXa-k-UTwrPbN9h0xvsnZoamkWRbXINkTV8rus63D9xq9sT7P-WjjrixPuxkU8kE8GKlpHtrHn4zxJHqd3NFJO5HdudNqFwymcXtBK6CS9lb5tqx2fBAYofi06r1iwfMxeY3CKWy7rFKcio-A_JukAOS0-teGDsPetg_hqDRc3s0qr9Zl4T4f6OWe28K0ioXCIIuVwTAth1qLqLl4z7ZP9Y_Fzh28nqQpjk6UaQTmjfmHnBVZ78bUQSWxpvHsKQdseDkc3OFrB8gReMr-5Nyyi-mS83EqCzrIlPkr_d5WTti_V3jb8AS2dHY_fHxGSTr9YmY1gd0YO9FAJDyrsEXTEecFclF48wAO6lUCBaF74RyMdFZO-LhdKhOK51Tn-YB7K_RxwQMuwDUvS9vHNC1ZkWIFEWPcFeJ7eXAiFFm_QIWwkeg2NyQFGZwoLbr6fBtxoC42-ZW14z7g-S88-Jg=w827-h513-no

The contrast is low due to the dust on the lens, it appears that the squirrel bounced off the front of the tire. Ebikes go a little faster than pedal bikes so perhaps he needs to recalibate for them. :)
I glanced through your build threads yesterday, and have to mention how hilarious this picture is! :lol:

OK, I ordered parts to put a PhaseRunner on this Diamondback BBSHD. One step at a time. Of the various upgrades that seems best to do first. I have been calculating Rohloff vs cassette gear ratios and looking at batteries, but those can wait.

I'm getting the Ebikes.ca BBSHD cable for the PhaseRunner, the CA3 and digital aux buttons. I don't know if my fairly old BBSHD has the same connectors, but this should get me close if not exactly right.

I also ordered a cover plate for the BBSHD. I'd like to 3D print something but will start with a premade one.

I also started designing a custom 3D printed CA mount for the RidgeRunner. :)

There's a new version of OpenSCAD out. Four years newer than the one I was using. It has not been upgrading often.

I hear that Fusion360 is tightening up it's licensing.

This will be the fist time I've set up PAS on a Cycle Analyst. I'll have the two button digital AUX, and the cadence sensor that's internal to the BBSHD. The third button in the middle is not used.

The PhaseRunner will be in torque throttle mode. So that might not be the usual for PAS on the CA3. I'll have to look around and see what folks with PR and CA3 BBSHD/BBS02/s have done.

Any comments?

Torque throttle in PAS should work fine.

I've had problems with PAS on my setup, but I think there may be something wrong with my CA itself (has persisted with different firmware, in more or less (but not exactly) the same way).

Presently PAS is disabled, and throttle is set to pass-thru, becuase of the time delays in the system that make it problematic (even dangerous) to use.

But it did appear to try to do what it should in torque throttle mode, when peeking around teh edges of the problems I had.

My setup is just a Grinfineon (current model, AFAIK) in sensorless (trapezoidal) mode on an MXUS 4504 in a 22" wheel on the trike's right side, with PAS by a TDCM BB (in either cadence or torque modes).

amberwolf said:
Torque throttle in PAS should work fine.

I've had problems with PAS on my setup, but I think there may be something wrong with my CA itself (has persisted with different firmware, in more or less (but not exactly) the same way).

Presently PAS is disabled, and throttle is set to pass-thru, becuase of the time delays in the system that make it problematic (even dangerous) to use.

But it did appear to try to do what it should in torque throttle mode, when peeking around teh edges of the problems I had.

My setup is just a Grinfineon (current model, AFAIK) in sensorless (trapezoidal) mode on an MXUS 4504 in a 22" wheel on the trike's right side, with PAS by a TDCM BB (in either cadence or torque modes).

I'm wondering how the Cycle Analyst v3.1 in Basic PAS mode will interact with the PhaseRunner in true torque mode control. It is a feedback based loop so it should work but it will have some delay and overshoot.

I'm thinking of setting the Digi Aux input for 50 or 100 watt steps from 0 to 750 or 1000 watts for basic power PAS. Anything over that will require some throttle.

I have a couple of CA's that have problems, I have packed them away and can't find them at the moment or I would use one for CAD measurements. One of them has always had stability problems, it seems to oscillate or be very noisy on readings. The other one was connected to a controller that had a shunt sampling wire come loose inside a brand new controller so it probably damaged the shunt input amplifier. One of these days I'll find them and send them in for repair.

A torque sensing bottom bracket would be interesting. I test drove an ebike years ago that had one, it is a neat feeling. It works well at low to moderate power but I've heard that high power torque sensing control is more problematic. Unfortunately most of my ebikes aren't really compatible with torque sensing cranks. I wish the BBSHD had that feature. The one bike that might take one is the Bonanza.

CA mount 20191016_030505.jpg

Amazing how things work out. Not bad for a first draft fit. It fits well enough to lift the CA with the friction, yet it is not very tight. At some point you have to stop measuring and playing with the CAD software and just make a print and see how it fits, then make adjustments from there. There's about an 0.2mm error that I can see in the depth of the central bump compared to the back of the display. That's about 1.5 index card thicknesses. Considering we're printing with 0.3mm layer thicknesses we can't get much closer than that anyway. I may have to do the final with thinner layers to improve that fit. Or make it intentionally a bit high and sand for final. The mounting screw hole alignment looks about perfect. I need to get a few more of these 1/4 x 20 cap screws to check the fit there. Orchard Supply Hardware is gone, but Ace hardware opened a store in the same location and I've yet to try out their screw selection. I ordered some from Amazon but they're still in transit.

A bigger problem is the support structure that printed inside the cable tie slots. I'll have to turn that off selectively in those areas because it is too difficult to remove. Designing for FDM printing has it's own requirements and tricks.

I still need to check the bike part of the fit, and see if I like the angle. I received email that the new PhaseRunner and Cycle Analyst for this bike have shipped. So we may be able to work on it in another few days.

CAmountSliced.GIF

I adjusted for the 0.2mm error after remeasuring a few times. The measurement did appear to be off by that amount.

I checked the fit on the bike, and it seems to be about right. The angle of the Bafang display is parallel to the stem, so the present angle of this mount is the same.

I used some "support blockers" in the cable tie area to stop them from filling up with support, and am printing another one in 0.2mm layer quality mode. It actually is not much longer on this print, about 1:45 instead of 1:30 for the 0.3mm draft. On some prints there is a big difference.

Above is the sliced view of the part. The slicer takes the 3D CAD model and converts it into layers the printer can make, and generates gcode to control the heaters, fans and motors to make the print.

New PhaseRunner 20191021_171836.jpg

Returned from my travels to find a package had arrived with the new PhaseRunner. This one is different from the others I have in the connectorization. It also includes the BBSHD cabling. Can't wait to get into this! Also in the package was a new CA3, and it fits the 3D printed mount perfectly, they haven't changed the "large" CA case in a long time. Excellent!

Ah, so you wanted black. I'm just sad that the clear model doesn't seem to be available anymore. The phaserunner is what I plan to upgrade to once my wife's car is paid off next year.

Alan B said:
I've only done the one trip to China Camp, clearly there's a lot more over there to explore. Lots of good stuff over in Marin as well.

I saw on the news this morning that they opened up a bike lane to cross the Richmond-San Rafael bridge, so riding to Marin is a possibility! :bigthumb:

19 miles from my house to China Camp, but I may try a short trip first just to check out the bridge path. 10.6 miles to San Quentin, so that might make a short loop just to see how much juice I may have for riding around if I make the longer trip.

With a bigger battery, this opens up the possibility of riding to San Francisco and back since the Golden Gate already has a path across! Fort Mason would be 28 miles, so under 60 miles round trip, but with what looks like a pretty steep 500 ft climb in the middle in both directions, so I may need to bring a charger along.

Depends on what you need it to do and how much setup you want to fiddle with (there will probably be a fair bit of tuning regardless), and whether you need to fit it inside the BBSHD casing or can use an external.

The *Runner series from Grin are all FOC, and there are some threads about fitting the PR to the BBSHD to possibly help simplify stuff.

VESC has many options for controllers, though some of them only accept manufacturer or project-specific firmwares and can't be updated with main branch FW, IIRC.

Some LiShui controllers are FOC capable, and there are opensource firmwares here on ES and/or Github, etc, for some of those to increase the feature sets.

There's other physically larger ones out there, too, or you could roll your own using the Lebowski brain and your choice of power stage (even including using the OEM BBSHD powerstage with its' brain disconnected).

Luna has a vesc based unit that is made to replace the stock controller. Not sure if you can actually get one presently.

Hi folks. Thanks for the replies. I see I had purchased a PhaseRunner for this project a few years ago, then it fell off the radar, too many projects. I ran across some articles about using the ASI BAC855 on utub recently. Perhaps I'll go ahead with the PR. I drifted away from ebikes since I retired, but I still have them. Driving the electric Leaf more than the ebikes. Did a physical search and found the PR and CA as well as the 3d printed bracket that I showed above. Just waiting for installation. Searching for PhaseRunner BBSHD doesn't seem to work here.

This is the archived ES search so it doens't include anything since early this year, but has all the stuff before that. This search is just for hte phrase you noted above and only in hte first post of a thread, by topic, so it probably doesn't have all the threads that discuss this, and likely more than a few of these aren't about what you want to know, but it's a start

Back