Bafang M500/M600 thread

Kyokushin said:
What firmware you're using?
I don't know. It is the original, I didn't changed nothing.

A develper told on Telegram that can because the battery SOC calculation of M500/M600 can be done as a slow voltage average and that may be missing the fast voltage drops when the motor pull the current, and then happening the low voltage protection - so like if there are 2 different isolated calculations: battery SOC and low voltage protection. And in the case of may battery, the result of SOC calculation is really bad, because one or more cells may be a bit more discharged than the others and SOC calculation can not understand that and so gives that very wrong value.

casainho said:
Kyokushin said:
What firmware you're using?
I don't know. It is the original, I didn't changed nothing.

A develper told on Telegram that can because the battery SOC calculation of M500/M600 can be done as a slow voltage average and that may be missing the fast voltage drops when the motor pull the current, and then happening the low voltage protection - so like if there are 2 different isolated calculations: battery SOC and low voltage protection. And in the case of may battery, the result of SOC calculation is really bad, because one or more cells may be a bit more discharged than the others and SOC calculation can not understand that and so gives that very wrong value.
About Volts Variability
Last week I participated in a Mountain Bike race on difficult terrain
On the bottom curve there is the recording of the battery SOC (550Wh)
Yellow the decreasing Wh
white the average of the volts
blue the volts variability

z1md.jpg

CiDi said:
bikelpl said:
I've changed the translation from Chinese to English in every section to be more readable:

Please tell me if this is useful to anybody? Or this is already well known?

All already known and documented on GitHub.

https://github.com/OpenSourceEBike/Bafang_M500_M600/blob/main/BESST%20Parameter%206011-6012-6017-6018.md

Is both the read and write function not working in the Besst tool for parameters 6011, 6012, 6017, 6018? I am interested in increasing max current and see the voltage and max current are set at the start of the merged hex string.

I’m not interested in changing the other settings at this stage and was wondering if these could be deleted from the string. Would this work or would the other fields be populated at writing (don’t want to create a brick) :oops: ?

Attachments

• 1C75E9BC-C070-4DCB-979D-80F629A7E87B.jpeg
    1C75E9BC-C070-4DCB-979D-80F629A7E87B.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,240
  • 42CD0458-01B5-4762-AADB-5F7AE92346CA.jpeg
    42CD0458-01B5-4762-AADB-5F7AE92346CA.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2,240
@star2k21 I am just wondering your experience with the M200 speed limit bump. Is the motor [as compared to M500/M600] powerful enough to go above 25kmh? How about anything above 32kmh? Overall, is it worth it to getting innomaker adapter (not cheap) to do that change?

Hello guys.

Seems like new firmware version for M600 - 43V ver 63.7 Have not tested it yet.
Cidi, Casianho, please send me an email to dado.komar@gmail.com - this shitty system wont allow me to upload.

DaDo.Bzz said:
Hello guys.

Seems like new firmware version for M600 - 43V ver 63.7 Have not tested it yet.
Cidi, Casianho, please send me an email to dado.komar@gmail.com - this shitty system wont allow me to upload.

You need to rename the file to .txt

I would like to share information about my EBike that is more and more electric!!

I just installed the electronic gears from SRAM AXS 12 speed and they are perfect because now my gears work like a swiss watch!!
Recently I also installed Garmin Rally XC200 Power Meter Bike Pedals.
(I know there are other wireless electronics like to control the drop post, lock the suspension or see the tire pressure)

And the best is that everything is working with ANT+ so I get on the GPS cycling computer the following data:
- TSDZ2 / Bafang EBike motor assist level and battery SOC (thanks to our EasyDIY OpenSource display)
- derailleur gear number and optimally the battery level
- my pedal power graph (to get advanced fitness cycling metrics on Garmin)
- my heart rate graph

New Bafang Besst pro. Looks interesting.
https://bafang-e.com/en/oem-area/service/besst-pro/

does it require new besst tool or work with old?

Attachments

• besstpro.jpg
    besstpro.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 2,024
Kyokushin said:

And will that work for us final users or only the bike manufacturers / OEM will have access to that options??

4πr^2 said:
casainho said:
We already have it!! It is just a generic USB-CAN device that we can buy on Ebay/AliExpress.
What is missing is our own PC software that needs to be developed.

Well, true. Possibly I should rephrase that - "... a DIY BESST that can upload firmware and make tweaks just like the real thing - and is simple enough for a lug nut like me to use!" :D I can flash PIC chips and arduinos, and write a small smattering of code, but if it goes much beyond that...

I got stuck with the 'crappy' 14.5 firmware on my X1, so level 1 and 2 are borderline worthless, 3 kicks in like a rocket ship and 4 and 5 are just tiny boosts above that. I measured the power vs assist level once and it was something like 200, 300, 1500, 1700 and 1850W across the 5 levels. So hoping one of these days, I can flash some better firmware.

I need this as well. I’m stuck with poor calibrated firmware that kicks in too heavy

Today, 2 different users on the Telegram development channel, were able to change the following settings, for each assist level:
- assist level value
- acceleration
- max speed
- assist start pedal angle

Any developer that want to test this and help us record the CAN commands for this, please go to the Telegram development channel and will be able to download the software, etc.

Tested so far:

Not working:
M510 rev1 - read speed limit / wheel size only
M600 - read speed limit / wheel size only

Working:
M510 rev2

Kyokushin said:
Tested so far:

Not working:
M510 rev1 - read speed limit / wheel size only
M600 - read speed limit / wheel size only

Working:
M510 rev2
I bought my motor on GreenBikeKit and I just sent them an e-mail asking for help to change this on my motor. Let´s see if they can help.

You would need to download either the BESST or BESST Pro python login script from github:
https://github.com/OpenSourceEBike/Bafang_M500_M600/tree/main/BESST

You can also download the BESST software from there:
https://github.com/OpenSourceEBike/Bafang_M500_M600/tree/main/BESST/dist

So far the only place I have seen the BESST Pro software is posted on Telegram. Appears the Bafang download link is dead, and file too large to attach here. Hopefully it will be uploaded to github soon.

Yesterday I went to the mountains and I did cycle 140kms and it was hard. That gave me the opportunity to real test my EBike with M500 and I would like to share what I found:

1. 52V battery with a M500 48V motor: My M500 was bought as a 48V battery but soon I found it would start to limit the motor power very soon when the battery was like at 50% SOC. Since I built my own battery, I decided to add more 1 series from 48V 13 to 52V 14S, as recommended by one user, so the motor power limitation would start later. And this worked very well!! The SOC on the display was 99% for a long time, because the M500 was calculation the SOC for a 48V battery. I also could see that at 40% SOC, the motor was limiting my motor power at up like 220W, which is not bad since now the 40% SOC it is for sure a real lower SOC than 40%.

Now I need to fully implement the SOC Coulomb counting on our EasyDIY display, because the original SOC of M500 is totally wrong.

2. Walk assist does not work: I mean the motor rotates but at very slow speed like 2 km/h and has very low torque meaning that it even can not push at all the ebike on the hills, the motor just stops on the hills that is when I really need walk assist.

3. Electronics gears are perfect not related to this motors because they are modular (unlike the electronic gears just released by Shimano that only works for their electric motors), the SRAM AXS, worked flawlessly, perfectly, while my previous mechanical gears would always missing some gear and that was frustrating because I want to pedal as smooth as possible. The M500 works very well, so the external gears need to be on pair with the motor.

Other thing I forgot to mention is that my motor got hot, because I had a lot of hills and the weather was like 35, I could feel the motor burning and I could not keep my hand on it. The display was saying like about 72 and so I kept and eye on the display and I stooped like 10 different times to wait for temperature decrease up to 50 or 55 degrees.

Even if the motor controller firmware should protect the motor, I was afraid and get near the fatal motor demagnetization I already had on TSDZ2 at begin when I did not know about this -- read here all the details of motor fatal demagnetization due to high temperatures: https://github.com/OpenSourceEBike/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki/TSDZ2-motor-demagnetized-due-to-overheating

Example when my motor had demagnetized due to high temperatures:
TSDZ2_demagnetized_motor-05.jpg

casainho said:
Yesterday I went to the mountains and I did cycle 140kms and it was hard. That gave me the opportunity to real test my EBike with M500 and I would like to share what I found:

1. 52V battery with a M500 48V motor: My M500 was bought as a 48V battery but soon I found it would start to limit the motor power very soon when the battery was like at 50% SOC. Since I built my own battery, I decided to add more 1 series from 48V 13 to 52V 14S, as recommended by one user, so the motor power limitation would start later. And this worked very well!! The SOC on the display was 99% for a long time, because the M500 was calculation the SOC for a 48V battery. I also could see that at 40% SOC, the motor was limiting my motor power at up like 220W, which is not bad since now the 40% SOC it is for sure a real lower SOC than 40%.

Now I need to fully implement the SOC Coulomb counting on our EasyDIY display, because the original SOC of M500 is totally wrong.

2. Walk assist does not work: I mean the motor rotates but at very slow speed like 2 km/h and has very low torque meaning that it even can not push at all the ebike on the hills, the motor just stops on the hills that is when I really need walk assist.

3. Electronics gears are perfect not related to this motors because they are modular (unlike the electronic gears just released by Shimano that only works for their electric motors), the SRAM AXS, worked flawlessly, perfectly, while my previous mechanical gears would always missing some gear and that was frustrating because I want to pedal as smooth as possible. The M500 works very well, so the external gears need to be on pair with the motor.

Casianho, you just literally fried that TSDZ. ;)

72C is nothing, believe me. I am having 100C every time. I am talking about stator temp.
Once I got even 140C (test with high current firmware). Also dont understand where is temperature protection.

Kyokushin said:

Bafang has removed the file. Are you able to place Besst-pro on GitHub with other versions?

Github would be ideal, but I don't have permissions to upload it there. You can try it here:

Download all these files to a folder. Delete the ".zip" extension from each file name. Run "BESST_Pro_V1.exe" to rebuild the archive into a single .exe file. Then run that .exe file to install BESST Pro.

This should get around the file size and extension limitations here.

Attachments

• BESST_Pro_V1.7z.005.zip
    10 MB · Views: 85
  • BESST_Pro_V1.7z.006.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 68
  • BESST_Pro_V1.7z.004.zip
    10 MB · Views: 74
  • BESST_Pro_V1.7z.003.zip
    10 MB · Views: 69
  • BESST_Pro_V1.7z.002.zip
    10 MB · Views: 67
  • BESST_Pro_V1.exe.zip
    190.5 KB · Views: 69
  • BESST_Pro_V1.7z.001.zip
    10 MB · Views: 75
DaDo.Bzz said:

72C is nothing, believe me. I am having 100C every time. I am talking about stator temp.
Once I got even 140C (test with high current firmware). Also dont understand where is temperature protection.
you mean there is possibility to burn this motor ?

pxl666 said:
DaDo.Bzz said:

Based on those pics, I would gamble on the fact there is CLEARLY a possibility to burn that motor!!

AHicks said:
pxl666 said:
DaDo.Bzz said:

Based on those pics, I would gamble on the fact there is CLEARLY a possibility to burn that motor!!
On TSDZ2 there is not motor temperature sensors (although the hall sensors will turn off after very high temperature and then the firmware would stop the motor current that is the only source for motor heating). On Bafang M500/M600 there is a motor temperature sensor but I think no one knows if the firmware will protect the motor or not (and by how much, because a little demagnetization will happen at high temperatures anyway). On TSDZ2, on our OpenSource firmware, we install the motor temperature sensor and then we decided to stop the motor at 85 degrees - I will keep a look on my M500 and try to avoid it get over the 85 degrees.

AHicks said:
pxl666 said:
DaDo.Bzz said:

These pics are not from m500

Back