BBSHD Voltage Problem Firmware Update & Instructions

amberwolf

Administrator
Staff member
Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion
EDIT:

***EVERYTHING*** I know about this, all the information I have about this, is here in this thread; please don't PM me for more info (I don't have any), just ask in this thread, and maybe someone else will know.

First: You accept all responsibility for performing any or all of the steps below, and if your stuff explodes in a supernova, or simply fails to ever work again, sorry about that, I can't help you there. ;)

Assume that performing any or all of these steps will invalidate any warranty you might have (might not, but, it could).

So if either of the above gives you even the slightest hesitation, stop reading and go ride. :)

If you don't KNOW that you need this fix, DON'T do it.

These instructions on updating the Bafang BBSHD firmware, to fix the problem with using 52v packs, were sent to me anonymously. I rewrote them to compensate for filename changes of what's actually on the first site, and the filename of the actual firmware file sent, and combined the two separate sets of instructions given as they cover the same things in different levels of detail. Some steps have been broken down into individual steps for clarity; not having one of these units I don't know if I've done them right.

If anyone with the equipment that has done (or can do) the steps finds anything incorrect or insufficient, let me know and I'll update the instructions, to make this as easy, painless, and foolproof as possible for anyone that needs to do this.

I don't know what the "programming cable" itself looks like at the BBSHD end, presumably the same as the Display cable.
EDIT: here's a pic of a bafang usb-serial cable:
bafang programming cable.jpeg

I've also included the original instructions at the end of the text file attached to this post (which also contains these instructions).

The file attached CRR10E4830E105001.1_190413-1.txt will need to be renamed CRR10E4830E105001.1_190413-1.bin because the forum won't allow a .bin file upload. Alternately it is also attached as a .ZIP file you can extract the .bin file from.
View attachment CRR10E4830E105001.1_190413-1.txt
View attachment CRR10E4830E105001.1_190413-1.zip

1-- Download the file stc-isp6.86.rar from http://www.stcmicro.com/rjxz.html
(file also attached to this post, or skip step 1 and 2 and download the stc-isp-15xx-v6.86E.zip from the attached file)
View attachment stc-isp6.86.rar
View attachment stc-isp-15xx-v6.86E.zip

2-- Extract stc-isp-15xx-v6.86E.exe from that file (using WinRar, 7zip, etc; a google search will locate the appropriate websites for those, and instructions how to use them) and run the program
3-- Insert the programing cable (USB-Serial Adaptor) into the computer's USB port, and install whatever software it requires. (Note says that FTDI based USB-serial adapters work well, but I assume you MUST use a USB-serial that's got the right connector for your BBSHD, presumably the round 5 pin green Higo). A COM port (often Com5) will be assigned to the port--if it tells you which one that is, write it down.
4-- Open the STC programing software.
5-- Select "Single Chip Microcomputer Type":"IAP15W4K61S4" (which is under "STC15W4K32S4 Series");
6-- Select the Com port that was assigned to your preferred USB-Serial Adaptor. (If you're not sure which one it is, it shouldn't hurt to try any of the ones it lists until one of them works)
7-- Change the settings for Max Baud to 57600 and Input IRC frequency to 18.432 Mhz
8-- Press "Open a Program File" (may be labelled "Open Code File"), and browse to the location you saved the attached file CRR10E4830E105001.1_190413-1.bin, and open it.
9-- Plug in the programing cable (using the EB-BUS; one end of the EB-BUS is linked to the EB-BUS cable at the controller, and the display cable at the other end of the EB-BUS is linked to the programing cable);
NOTE: Presumably this means you follow these steps:
9a- Turn off ebike battery's power switch
9b- Disconnect ebike battery from BBSHD
9c- Disconnect LCD
9d- connect round end of USB-serial cable to the connector you just disconnected LCD from
10- Plug ebike's battery into BBSHD, but do not turn on the battery power;
11- Press "Download/Program"
12- Turn on the battery's power switch.
13- You should see the progress bar scroll across if it is successful.

Presumably when it gives the message that everything is complete, you can then:
14- power off the battery
15- disconnect USB-serial from bike
16- reconnect LCD to bike
17- power on battery
18- ride and have fun!

I have not viewed the following link; presumably it is a video version of these instructions:

https://youtu.be/6fvJVz30LU8

Attachments

• bbshd instructions rewrite.txt
    3.7 KB · Views: 1,507
  • originial (confusing) instructions.txt
    1.2 KB · Views: 814
Nice. If I hadn't gone through the trouble of making gaskets and siliconing in the new controller I'd be tempted to give this a whirl. I imagine you can do it without the controller being installed on the motor but you can't test it? At least not any way I can think of.

furcifer said:
Nice. If I hadn't gone through the trouble of making gaskets and siliconing in the new controller I'd be tempted to give this a whirl. I imagine you can do it without the controller being installed on the motor but you can't test it? At least not any way I can think of.

To do this on a bare controller, one would need to either:
-- make a cable to go from the controller's LCD port to an LCD-style connector (or whatever style is on the USB-serial adapter being used) and to battery power,
or
-- hook up teh controller to the regular wiring harness for battery power and the LCD connector.

The same setup would allow you to test it, as it should no longer display the voltage error (though it may have others for the unconnected parts).

It's possible the update wont' even work without the rest of the stuff connected, but I doubt that, since they probably use the same procedure to program them at the factory (no idea what, if anything, that they actually test, though).

If you end up trying this, please note down the steps (and wiring of harness created for it, with pictures if possible) and post them here to be added as an alternate set of instructions.

amberwolf said:
furcifer said:

To do this on a bare controller, one would need to either:
-- make a cable to go from the controller's LCD port to an LCD-style connector (or whatever style is on the USB-serial adapter being used) and to battery power,
or
-- hook up teh controller to the regular wiring harness for battery power and the LCD connector.

The same setup would allow you to test it, as it should no longer display the voltage error (though it may have others for the unconnected parts).

It's possible the update wont' even work without the rest of the stuff connected, but I doubt that, since they probably use the same procedure to program them at the factory (no idea what, if anything, that they actually test, though).

If you end up trying this, please note down the steps (and wiring of harness created for it, with pictures if possible) and post them here to be added as an alternate set of instructions.

Right now I'm short a Higo connector. They're great connectors but a PITA for DIY.

this is my cable works for this firmware fix just posting this to help anyone that needs tips on a quick easy programming cable could be done with no soldering iron or heat shrink.

video link usb cable:[youtube]https://youtu.be/gdmv0JjRdL4[/youtube]

uk ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CH340-Go...972686?hash=item3d117654ce:g:~FEAAOSwn8pbGiuK
uk amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/DSD-TECH-a...i&qid=1557476037&s=gateway&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1
silicone wire:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flexible...=26372477699650d6f82ecf164ad49b100f34dd12c815

Cbisbaf said:
this is my cable works for this firmware fix just posting this to help anyone that needs tips on a quick easy programming cable could be done with no soldering iron or heat shrink.

Just be very careful to plug the wires into the right pins on the Higo.

I've also had problems with some of the cheap ftdi adapters. The Bafang controller needs the logic "low" to be really low, like less than 0.5v. Some adapters only bring it down to 0.7v and you have connection problems. This can be fixed by putting a 1k or so resistor from Tx to ground to pull it a little lower.

Actual firmware for the controller. NICE!!
First of all, I ride with a 48v battery what is the 52v mod actually?
We have 3 bbshd's in the family.

I bought mine from Luna 2 years ago.

My sister bought her bbshd a few months ago from aliexpress. Here hardware version and firmware version is different then mine. Her bbshd PAS mode is more fluent, and no overshoot. I used the same controller settings to test this.

Will maybe this firmware version also fix other issues?

SuperSl0w said:
Actual firmware for the controller. NICE!!
First of all, I ride with a 48v battery what is the 52v mod actually?
We have 3 bbshd's in the family.

I bought mine from Luna 2 years ago.

My sister bought her bbshd a few months ago from aliexpress. Here hardware version and firmware version is different then mine. Her bbshd PAS mode is more fluent, and no overshoot. I used the same controller settings to test this.

Will maybe this firmware version also fix other issues?

It's not a mod per se, most controllers don't throw an overvoltage code until something like 61 volts. For someone reason it changed recently.

It will be good to see if it fixes the bad behavior with hitting the throttle while pedaling.

I'm told there are several firmware versions. Also told the programming cable is used for firmware as well. Sadly no one seems to have, or is willing to share the firmware for the 0 Pas "issue".

It could well be a fix for both. I parted ways with my BBSHD and can't test.

I've attached another firmware file I found in another post here on ES; I have NO idea what it does or if it works. If it bricks your controller using it, well, you have a brick. ;) Anyone trying it out, consider yourself warned. :lol:

I also found this link, when looking around the web for more firmware files, that appears to be a BBSxx guide to various things. No idea if any of it is useful
https://www.poweredride.com/info/bbshd-and-bbs02-configuration-programming-resources
https://penoff.me/2016/01/13/e-bike-conversion-software/

Attachments

• CRR10E5228E1050221_190418.txt
    60 KB · Views: 420
  • CRR10E5228E1050221_190418.zip
    19.8 KB · Views: 403
amberwolf said:
I've attached another firmware file I found in another post here on ES; I have NO idea what it does or if it works. If it bricks your controller using it, well, you have a brick. ;) Anyone trying it out, consider yourself warned. :lol:

I also found this link, when looking around the web for more firmware files, that appears to be a BBSxx guide to various things. No idea if any of it is useful
https://www.poweredride.com/info/bbshd-and-bbs02-configuration-programming-resources
https://penoff.me/2016/01/13/e-bike-conversion-software/

Where did you find the firmware files? I'm not going flash random stuff to my controller.. :)

The posts give all the info I have on them. You can search the filenames with google and the forum search and perhaps find other info I don't have (I haven't tried).

Anyone using them does so at their own risk, and I accept no responsibility whatsoever for the results, good or bad.

The only guarantee I give is that you will be following instructions sent anonymously to me, and rewritten by someone (me) that has never had one of these bits of equipment, no experience with them, etc. I don't know what the firmware is for, what it changes from the firmware already in any particular controller, etc.; it's purported to fix the issue noted in the OP, but I couldn't tell you a thing about it.

If you don't want to use it, that's perfectly ok by me.

I only put this thread up in case it is of use to those that choose to accept the (potentially expensive) risk.

To all those PMing me about this thread / issue:

***EVERYTHING*** I know about this, all the information I have about this, is here in this thread; please don't PM me for more info, just ask in this thread, and maybe someone else will know.

Followed Amberwolf's instructions and fixed a voltage problem on one motor and resurrected another that my more advanced Bafang BESST system had bricked. Sent him a thank you. :)

There is no throttle problem but then none of my motors have ever had a throttle problem. Even ones imported recently.

Rydon said:
Followed Amberwolf's instructions and fixed a voltage problem on one motor and resurrected another that my more advanced Bafang BESST system had bricked. Sent him a thank you. :)

There is no throttle problem but then none of my motors have ever had a throttle problem. Even ones imported recently.

Which file did you use?

Hi guys.
I specially registered to say thank you very much to "amberwolf" for the instructions and for the files.

I updated the firmware.
I used CRR10E4830E105001.1_190413-1.bin firmware file.
I also updated the STC program to version v6.86q
Error code-07 is no longer!

Attachments

• IMG_20190516_233249.jpg
    IMG_20190516_233249.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 33,195
I'm confused, can this be done with the normal programming cable? I was under the impression this was different.

furcifer said:
I'm confused, can this be done with the normal programming cable?
AFAIUI, that's what the instructions say--the bafang USB-serial cable, that plugs into the LCD port on the wiring harness to the controller (in place of the LCD). Some days back I updated the instructions with a photo of a cable from another site that described the settings changes process (different from the firmware process, but using the same equipment apparently).

amberwolf said:
furcifer said:
I'm confused, can this be done with the normal programming cable?
AFAIUI, that's what the instructions say--the bafang USB-serial cable, that plugs into the LCD port on the wiring harness to the controller (in place of the LCD). Some days back I updated the instructions with a photo of a cable from another site that described the settings changes process (different from the firmware process, but using the same equipment apparently).

I saw that, and the post from Cbisbaf. I just wanted to make sure before I brick a 48V controller, they're annoying but functional.

If you get an error 30h after flashing, you may need a different bin file. Some controllers appear to require the bin file posted but others get error 30h but come alive after flashing with CRR10E4830E105001.1_APP_190311.bin

Back