Dewalt powered mid drive road bike

helno

10 W
Decided to update my bicycle for this riding season.

The bike is an old Miele road bike that has been upgraded over the years.

The update consisted of removing a Kepler friction drive and replacing it with a Bafang BBS01. For a power source I wanted to use a pair of 5 Ah Dewalt 20 volt packs.

The mid drive install was pretty trivial. The speed sensor mount would not work on this frame as the space between the spokes and frame is to narrow. The Bafang brake leavers are a bit clunky but they do the trick.

To mount the batteries I 3d printed an adaptor to use an off the shelf battery mount. The install is pretty clean and the batteries can be removed very easily (I work at a secure facility so theft is not an issue.) I might reprint the mounts in yellow to match the batteries.

Wnkp48y.jpg

93HaNDX.jpg

The install is pretty discrete and the quiet power delivery is very nice.

If anyone would like the part files for the Waitley mount it can be found here.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3643081

Very nice. So do you run the two packs in series? Do you use any kind of diode to isolate them in case the BMS trips on one of the batteries?

Your bike looks good with the Dewalt packs on it - utilitarian. Thanks for sharing it.

What material did you use for the 3D printed portion of the battery mount? It needs to be strong enough to withstand all the road chatter and potholes. Maybe it was a type of nylon?

silentflight said:
Maybe it was a type of nylon?

I used ABS. It is a pretty common material on bikes.

cheapcookie said:
Nice, have you tried 3d printed ryobi/makita/milwaukee adapters ?

The Waitley adaptor will also accept Milwaukee M18 as well as the dewalt packs.

StinkyGoalieGuy said:
Very nice. So do you run the two packs in series? Do you use any kind of diode to isolate them in case the BMS trips on one of the batteries?

Missed this one.

No diode because they are in series. And they do not have a conventional BMS only a basic cell balancer.

Back