Dengfu M09 Endruo/Freeride build log

Kepler

10 MW
Thought I would share my Dengfu M09 Endruo/Freeride build journey for anyone that is interested.

This bike will be spec'd up with quality parts and hopefully be a bike that rivals the benchmark S Works Levo but at half the price.

Frame has arrived and it hasn't disappointed. The carbon looks to be laid up well and reinforced in the right places. The rear swingarm has dual sealed bearings on each pivot point and zero play. Although a little on the tight side, the swingarm will lower under its own weight so I think this shouldn't effect the rear suspension compliance.

View attachment 3

Frame2.jpg

Frame3.jpg

A quick photoshop of what the finished bike should look like

Bike5.JPG

The bike frame on its own comes in at 3.6kg or just under 8lb so not particularly light however I think I would prefer a focus on overall strength rather then making the frame as light as possible. I believe the S Works Levo is around the 25kg mark with the 700Whr battery. This will be the aim for this build also but with a 750Whr.

I am a bit of a 29'er fan and was hoping I could use 29er wheels back and front. Unfortunately there is no way even 2.35" 29er tire is going to fit in the rear swingarm.

So I will either go 27.5" back and front or maybe go with the recent trend of a 29er upfront and a 27.5" on the back. Need to make sure I don't go too slack though as I am fitting 160mm travel Fox 36 forks

Frame4.jpg

The frame comes with a decent headset and rear through axle. Installation of the headset into the frame is a simple task even with my ghetto headset install tool. The frame's press fit tolerances for the head set were spot on.

Frame6.jpg

Nice frame. They don’t sell those anymore in Canada or the US I believe, copyright license now... probably to Luna. Did you get a battery cover? I’m doing something similar, cover is integrated in the battery with the direction I’m going, was curious about this frame’s battery?

Really? That is a bummer as i think the M09 is probably the best enduro carbon frame currently available. No problems buying the frame here. Dengfu were more then helpful. $790 USD plus $80 USD delivery. Arrived in a week. Cant complain about that.

The M600 was sent separately and with a different courier. It is in the country so I should have the motor next week also. Cost $620 USD plus $80 USD delivery.

I have built a lot of battery packs and decided to build a custom pack or packs for this bike also.

Cells are LG INR18650-HG2 3000mAh - 20A. Although you can get higher capacity cells, I like how these cells hold voltage under load. Gives me the opportunity to go as low as 13S2P if I want too and still pull a conservative 20A without the pack breaking a sweat.

Loose Batteries.jpg

There is enough room in the frame to fit 13S5P which gives me 730Whr capacity. I am also looking at the option of splitting the pack into a 13S3P and 13S2P pack. I ride low power most of the time and typically with non assisted riders so a small light weight pack is all I need most of the time. However, it will be great to have the extended range option when needed.

Still figuring out how I will do the battery cover. I think it will be separate to the actual battery and pick up custom made posts attached to the 4 blind nuts embedded in the frame.

Nice, looking forward to my Luna X1. What size frame did you order?

Leeleeducati said:
I wonder how Luna stuffed a 27.5x2.8 in there, that’s more or less a 29x2.25? Did Dengfu provide you the battery cover?

Wayne did a build with 27.5x2.8 and seems they fit (albeit without a lot of clearance):

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=96461&p=1475776#p1475776

Kepler said:
19.5" Large. The Luna X1 looks to be a killer deal. I thought of ordering one also but when I figured out where the frame came from, building up my own version was always going to happen.

FWIW, I went with the 17.5. Wayne thought the 19.5 might be a little large even for me at 6'.

Leeleeducati said:
I wonder how Luna stuffed a 27.5x2.8 in there, that’s more or less a 29x2.25? Did Dengfu provide you the battery cover?

Tire size is going to be tight. I am keen to use a 27.5 x 2.8. Also still keen on a 29er up front. I was originally looking at 160mm travel Fox 36, however I am concerned the combo of a 29er 160mm fork and 29 x 2.6 front tire will slacken the bike too much.

No Dengfu does not provide a battery cover as the battery designed for the bike comes flush with the bottom of the frame and acts like a cover.

I will do a custom cover. I plan on using this bike on some big hits and wouldn't like to trust this abuse to a key locking mechanism.

Grantmac said:
Any worries about getting the motor to work without the CANBUSS BMS?

It certainly is very much an unknown. I just plan to use PAS only and wont be fitting a throttle so I know the home brew battery or batteries will work. However, I typically don't use a BMS on my own personal packs so I need to rely on the M600 controller to provide a low voltage cutout. I have no idea if the M600 controller has a low voltage cutout that will suit a 13S config. I am hoping you can set the number of cells in the display setup. However, I cant find a thing on the M600 display at the moment.

If anyone has any information on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Nothing is a bust though. Worst case, I just concede defeat and buy a factory battery. Pretty small cost in the scheme of things.

So glad you have this bike Kepler and will be tinkering with it over the next while. The bafang 48v battery gives tons of range and at 850 watts peak think it will give good service should you decide to go store bought for the battery pack. I think one of the things that contribute to the good range with the M600 motor is the extra reduction in the motor compared to the HD1000 as you can actually give meaningfull pedal input when the motor is in its happy zone unlike the some of the other Bafang mid drives. And the extra weight from the stock battery pack is really a non issue, its only a 50 lb bike with this pack in place. Regarding this battery, yes mine did fall out on the trail one day but a quick wrap of duct tape around the down tube enclosing the battery pack for extra hold has held it in place ever since. The key and quick release is nice if you are always taking the pack out for city commuting or something but I feel just to be safe wrap it in place so it dont fall out. Either velcrow or duct tape.

I have found the 27.5 x 2.8 a great tire, I just bought a new set of tires from Chain Reaction WTB Ranger TCS Tough Fast Rolling Plus Tyre Black, 27.5+", 2.8", Folding Bead - sku552779 Good deal and great fit to replace the originals that were the same tires but the originals were the "light" version instead of the "Tough" I have now.

Kepler, best of luck man. So glad yourself and others are comming to the party. I felt for so long this bike was awesome (just about had mine for a year now & 1,000km) but was reluctant to give it the full thumbs up because of lack of support from both Bafang and Dengfu but now feeling encouraged that with others comming on board and Luna as well we may have support from each other and Luna also.
The bike rides like a dream, you are going to be impressed.............wayne

Motor arrived today as a separate package to the frame and with a different courier to keep costs separate.

Looks to be delivered as specified so very happy about that.

18A 48V, 32 tooth chainring and a 500% (11-50) cassette will mean insane climbing ability. Looking forward to that. With 32 /11 gearing, I think I will spin out before reaching 45 kph. I am thinking 38 / 11 might be needed.

Attachments

• 20190813_102444.jpg
    20190813_102444.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 9,357
Yes the 38 tooth will be better for catching up to the pedals at 45km. I think I have a 40 tooth but I will count tomorrow. On my bike you can still give meaninful pedal input at 45km so that is nice. 32 upfront may be too small. Even first gear on mine runs out of speed pretty darn quick, 32 / 50 will be way too short gearing I think as this motor is geared down pretty good before it spins the front spocket already. I think also because its 48 v and not 52 v , once it spins up to the motors max speed the lower voltage means you need to kind of short shift to get up the speed where a 52 volt would take you. The 52 volt I guess kind of lets your gears kind of act taller if this makes any sense? I will recheck my front ring tomorrow but the I dont think you will be happy with the 32 up front..........wayne

Its good Bafang have gone with standard 104 BCD chain ring. Nice and easy to change. Thinking the 11/50 might not be necessary either. Possibly better off with an 11/46 or 11/42 cassette to tighten up the ratio gaps a bit.

Test fitted the motor. All fits nice and snug. No frame tweaking required.

Attachments

• 20190813_175221.jpg
    20190813_175221.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 9,314
Toying with the idea of going with a 79er configuration (27.5 back 29er front). I like the idea of getting a more freeride geometry setup with this bike.

Below is the standard config as a 27.5 back and front and a 150mm fork (ignore the hard tail cad drawing as measurements are without sag so it makes no difference)

650B_150mmFork.JPG

Next is 27.5 setup back and front but with a 160mm fork. Looks pretty good.

650B_160mmFork.JPG

This one is configured as a 79er complete with a 150mm 29er fork. Might just work but the seat tube angle is starting to get a little nasty.

79er_150mmFork.JPG

Last one is configured as a 79er but with 160mm 29er fork. Seat tube angle is getting really nasty now.

79er_160mmFork.JPG

Decisions decisions.

Those last bikecad drawings make the seat tube angle look steeper than I think they are. On my bike my seat tube angle and the head tube angle are much closer to each other almost the same I think. Your green drawings look a little different than I think what we have in regards to seat angle but not sure (sorry edit - I see now your ref to cad drawing)........wayne

Also yes I have a 40 tooth up front and an 11/50 on the rear. Its a nice combo for this drive. You can still add pedal input at 45km and using even 2nd or 3rd gear for climbing you get a better chain line that choosing the lowest of low and you will never really need the 50 or hardly ever if using the motor. Hope this helps.

Also I know you memtioned all the pivots are tight with no slop. I did find on my main BB pivot for the rear assembly there was a small air space between the bearings, inside spacers and the frame. No noticable side flex when putting lateral stress at the rear axle end of the swing arm but slight side to side movement if you tap the assembly right at the BB area at its pivot. Test with a strong wiggle with your hands right at the BB pivot to see if yours does the same? On my bike it alsmost seems like the little spacers that fit between the bearings and the frame could stand to be a bit thicker. Maybe I lost something on the ground when I was tinkering with it but I dont think so.

Sorry Kepler, I must be loosing my mind. I said earlier the BB pivot for play, but no its the chain stay pivot that has the slop on my bike. Not a lot, just a small amount. Give your pivot assembly a nudge at the chain stay pivot to shock mounting assembly and see if yours it tight. I guess the main reason for side to side flex at the wheel would normally be felt from the BB pivot anyways so maybe this is why no side to side movement is felt at the wheel on my bike even though there is a tiny bit of play at the chain stay pivot.

Finally getting delivery of parts to continue with this build. Suspension is in. Went with Fox Factory36 forks 27.5" 150mm travel up front and Fox factory DPX 210mm x 55mm rear shock for a matching 150mm travel on the back.

20190823_175042.jpg

20190823_175052.jpg

Rear shock is mounted using genuine Fox bush kits back and front. This frame suits 22.2mm x 8mm bushings. The front bush is spot on however the rear bush spacing is 22.8mm so the perfect fit needs 2 x 0.2mm shims.

Capture.JPG

Also been working on the battery and mounting system. Had a bunch of lightly used 18650 25R cells so I have put together a light weight (1800 grams) 13S3P to start off with. 350 Whr will be plenty to get a feel for the bike a work out what size battery best suits this bike and my riding style. Also working on the battery mounting system at the moment. Support posts have been installed. Aluminium angle rails will be a attached to the posts to support the battery and a quick release light weight cover then installed over the top.

20190823_135545.jpg

Most of the parts are in. Just waiting on the carbon wheels from Dengfu.

Stayed with top end components throughout with the main components as follows:
Sram CodeR 4 piston brakes back and front.
Shimano 38 tooth narrow wide chain ring
Shimano 11/46 XT cassette
Shimano 11 speed Di2 Derailleur
Dengfu 50mm wide carbon wheels
Maxis Minion 27.5" x 2.8" downhill tires
Brand X 170mm dropper post.

So what's the investment on this bike? Well it sure has added up. I am looking at just on $7,000.00 AUD or $4,900.00 USD at our current exchange rate excluding the battery. Considering component spec, I don't think the cost is too out of control :)

Back