BBSHD dies after 10 seconds, again and again.

Stu Summer

100 W
My BBSHD runs for about 10 seconds and then kicks off, whether in PAS or throttle. The display stays lit and shows a picture of a motor. Turning on and off starts the things again. What does it mean? Thanks!

Hmmm weird that it would shut down the motor without throwing an error code. Almost sounds like the speed sensor, but that would throw a code.

It could also be hitting low voltage protection like SM said, but normally that wouldn't require restarting the controller to make it go again.

Can you measure the time interval between turning off's?
Exactly the same would lead me to think controller/software error type of issue, but if it varied I'd say and intermittent fault line sensor wire etc.

spinningmagnets said:
Theres a chance it may be the battery. Is there anyone else nearby that will loan you their battery for a few minutes to test?

It was not the battery. Did the same with different batteries. But after stopping (and having to be restarted) maybe 20 times, only showing the motor icon, it finally showed an error code: 21. The magnet on the spoke was twisted away. We'll see tomorrow whether it stays on for good now! Thanks for your input! Why it took so long to show an error code...beats me.

kdog: the fault took varying lengths of time and had no relation to the speed or amperage that was being drawn (hills, acceleration.)

no sensor

sleep settings

influence off time

I think there might have been water in the speed sensor. (My son mentioned riding through a creek.) That may have thrown the whole system a curve.

Could be I guess. I always assumed those were sealed units, but they might not stay that way forever.

Maybe throw a coating of liquid electrical tape or something on there to prevent future issues, except the side that faces the magnet.

I'd be more suspicious of the connector for that sensor, the higos are supposed to be water tight but that one is in a particularly horrible spot for road spray, etc.

dustNbone said:
I always assumed those were sealed units,
None of the ebike systems I know of are really sealed. Some do try, some don't even make the attempt, and some are halfhearted (but all of those may be *called* waterproof, or "sealed", or "weather resistant".

They *ought* to be designed to handle any conditions a regular bicycle is expected to handle, which could include torrential rain and riding thru water up to the saddle on occasion. ;)

But that would cost significantly more, so they don't do that. AFAICT not even the really expensive OEM ebikes are actually made to handle this.

Back