Bafang ultra max 2.2kw EXCESS controller

Maybe 4 weeks...said excess...until the first release.
Better?
But one more time...for what do you need 2kW of power?

400+ lbs tandem / cargo bike, mountain country, some sandy / gravel / muddy off-road travel

Stud54 said:
Maybe 4 weeks...said excess...until the first release.
Better?
But one more time...for what do you need 2kW of power?

On the news part of there site they posted on 12.06.2019 that in four weeks it would get available.

Plus, I dont have to anwser to you, why for I need something, please go and ruin some other forum with your not helpfull comments.

Last I checked with them, they are available, you'll have to send your motor to them (or buy one from them with the controller installed). Seems they are individually calibrated to each motor...

I decided not to bother for now, due to the expense of it, in addition to needing a more powerful battery to really take advantage of the extra wattage headroom. Still, the controller does have a lot of other interesting features.

Deafcat said:
Last I checked with them, they are available, you'll have to send your motor to them (or buy one from them with the controller installed). Seems they are individually calibrated to each motor...

I decided not to bother for now, due to the expense of it, in addition to needing a more powerful battery to really take advantage of the extra wattage headroom. Still, the controller does have a lot of other interesting features.

Correct...but less than you think. My Ultra works with a 14S 700Wh pack. More than 20A const. is not possible, or not good. The Batterie is the limit.

The best way to tune the ultra is rewinding and changing the bearings and the one way bearing.

A single strand winding puts more than 30% copper in the Stator with the same kv. The stock controller works up to 35A by the way.

But not with thumb throttle full, last gear, a hill and NO POWER FROM YOURSELF.....

For some reason I do not understand...I don't seem to care if someone else has more power than me, or less power than me. And if I ever hear that someone else does not like my choices, I am unconcerned.

spinningmagnets said:
For some reason I do not understand...I don't seem to care if someone else has more power than me, or less power than me. And if I ever hear that someone else does not like my choices, I am unconcerned.

Some people just crave speed and power. You see it in vehicle enthusiasts of every type. You only buy a 225hp bass boat because your neighbor's boat is sporting a laughable 200. I think its a good thing since it creates demand for ever more durable components and creative engineering. The Tangent Ascent is a good example. It was the first to employ the incredibly compact, efficient, and strong cycloidial reducer to solve the issue of massive reduction needed to fully utilize the Astro motors without complex jackshaft configurations. All for the sake of pushing the limits.

It has a lot more going for it than "more power" alone...

• 30A current peak, 40A peak current optional
  • up to 60V
  • decreased (tighter) response time to torque input signal
  • CAN-BUS display support
  • Programmable via app
  • CAN-BUS support for Shimano Di2
  • Automatic shifting support (based on pedal cadence)
  • Traction control
  • Launch control
  • Wheelie control

"The controller will have a far better controlling, sensitivity and response. The motor will start immediately when pushing the pedal and will stop also immediately when release the pedal pressure. It is far more torque sensor controlled as the Bafang controller is. The riding is more harmonic and allows a more “natural pedalling”. Shifting process is much better and more gentle on chain and sprockets. The motor is very sensitive and very powerful at the same time with that controller. All the Bafang controller problems (such as the long and inconstant stop delay, the inconstant start delay, the slightly oscillating riding behaviour, and many more) are completely eliminated. We are proud that we could create a motor behaviour which is one of the best on the market. It is even the same level as a Shimano Steps motor which is actually a big achievement because it is far more difficult to develop such a motor behaviour with a 2000W motor than with a 250W motor.

Due to better hardware, intelligent and advanced software the controller is further able to run more power but with far less temperature than with the Bafang controller. Tests showed even with 40A and hard riding conditions the motor temperature will be very low. Also the efficiency will be better with our controller which leads to a slightly higher range. Further it is shortcut protected and much more reliable.

The controller will have outputs for lights such as the Bosch motors and Co. have, that means the controller only provide a switching voltage but the main power supply for the light comes from the battery. With that it will be shortcut protected and the light will have high power for high performance as well. Most premium lights are working that way (e.g. Supernova M99)"

My current BBSHD is a stock 1500W unit, and I am upgrading it to 2500W. I think a lot of customers are going to very happy with the 2.2kW Excess controller...

I don't "need" 2500W. In fact I don't even need 1500W...still getting 2500W, though.

spinningmagnets said:
I think a lot of customers are going to very happy with the 2.2kW Excess controller...

Agreed, particularly if they deliver strong on the Finesse points alongside the bump in power levels.

Those extra control features are what I'm really after, when considering the purchase... The power levels in my stock Ultra are already all I really need.

3 Controller are working in 3 testbikes in Germany and the results sounds really good.

Less noise, less heat, better performance...

unterhausen said:
What do they sell the modified motor for? Or do I have to email?

I emailed them:

It is available but we don’t sell the controller only for the time being. For the beginning we want to make sure that the controllers are installed correctly and no failures happen due to customers mistakes. So there are currently these options:

1. You send us your motor and we will install it.
2. You buy a new motor with our controller already installed.
3. You wait a few weeks until we offer the controllers only.

The prices are:
Controller 390€
Motor incl. controller pre-installed 1190€

Installation costs are for free currently.

No, it is not possible to program it with the Bafang config tool. It will be an App available soon offering to set up different settings.

3 - You wait a few weeks until we offer the controllers only.

Does this mean that I won't have to send my motor back to use the new controller?

Joe King1 said:
3 - You wait a few weeks until we offer the controllers only.

Does this mean that I won't have to send my motor back to use the new controller?

Indeed

Per an email from Jurgen today, the motor WILL have to be sent back to Exess for the new controller installation (or buy a motor/controller). :(

Are there any screenshots of the motor software and configurations?

Would love to know how good it looks and functions!

Joe King1 said:
Per an email from Jurgen today, the motor WILL have to be sent back to Exess for the new controller installation (or buy a motor/controller). :(

If you want it now yes. But they told me you can buy the controller only in a couple of weeks.

I'd also love to know how it is configured ... will EXCESS provide configuration software, and for what platform(s)?

Back