Bearing upgrades on cyclone 3000? worth it?

I have read the 129 page cyclone thread and while reliable it seems a handful of people have experienced noisy bearings.

I am yet to install my kit and was thinking it may be worth upgrading the stock motor bearing (sealed apparently?) and planetary gear bearings while the motor is sitting on the bench for the next few months.

Given that brand name 30% reduced friction bearings are about $10 ea, it seems like a cheap way to ensure reliability and maybe reduce friction losses ever so slightly.

Can anyone confirm these part numbers, and also if this is actually worth doing...!?

edit: opened it up. bearings are labelled as follows if that's any use to anyone. motor is a 2018/2019 model, YMMV

6001RS (x3, planets)
6004RS x2, gearbox shaft to output freewheel
6003RS
6201RS - rear cover, motor bearing

The primary reason they fail is because of side loading. Make sure one cog is straight in relation to the one connected to it on the other side of the chain. We are talking angle in addition to alignment.

Besides bearings, I'd suggest replacing halls and phase wires, install temp sensor and when that all done and double-checked, casting motor windings with thermal polyurethane - to improve thermal path from windings to outer shell.

Yes worth your time upgrade.
To ciramic bearings i it done with oil and only 1 mian bearings plus oil seal 3 mouths floorless and couting

Next test with aft fliud and new rings cyclone motor seen like higher volts

Good luck

Sorry to revive an old thread ...

The OP had the following bearings:
6001RS x3 12 x 28 x 8 planets
6004RS x2 20 x 42 x 12 gearbox shaft to output freewheel
6003RS 17 x 35 x 10
6201RS 12 x 32 x 10 rear cover, motor bearing

I'm left wondering where the 6003 goes?

I'm really trying to find out what diameter (and any keyway etc) the motor output shaft is? Not the gearbox shaft.

I'm looking at getting the non-gearbox version of this motor but not sure if the shaft will be robust enough. If the front cover bearing (output shaft) is the 6003 (17mm dia shaft) then it will be OK I think.

bikerpete said:
Sorry to revive an old thread ...

The OP had the following bearings:
6001RS x3 12 x 28 x 8 planets
6004RS x2 20 x 42 x 12 gearbox shaft to output freewheel
6003RS 17 x 35 x 10
6201RS 12 x 32 x 10 rear cover, motor bearing

I'm left wondering where the 6003 goes?

I'm really trying to find out what diameter (and any keyway etc) the motor output shaft is? Not the gearbox shaft.

I'm looking at getting the non-gearbox version of this motor but not sure if the shaft will be robust enough. If the front cover bearing (output shaft) is the 6003 (17mm dia shaft) then it will be OK I think.

It is 17mm. Aperture on the cover is 20mm for some reason. Here's one greasy picture I have of it.
cfb.jpg

Note that the motor output shaft reduces to 10mm (with keyway cutout) where the steel output gear attaches.

there is a cyclone 4000W motor available on their site which may be more suited

electric_nz said:
Note that the motor output shaft reduces to 10mm (with keyway cutout) where the steel output gear attaches.

there is a cyclone 4000W motor available on their site which may be more suited

I was anticipating, that it might step down, hadn't realised it was such a big step down.
Sad, that would have been really nice if it had a bigger output shaft.

It's not even long enough to add an outboard support bearing 😟

I don't suppose anyone has done a shaft replacement on these?

Back