Torque sensor options and questions

Powerhour

100 mW
Hello people,
Was curious if someone could help me as I’m having a hard time lost in google and web stores looking for answers..

I was interested in the torque sensor+controller that can be bought from bmsbattery, and/or any other resource possibly available. The kit at bms battery looks good for a good price, but I already have an LCD3 and I’d like to find a 12 fet controller, or anything a little bigger than the low end KT one it comes with.

Basically, my question is this. What options are out there for diy builders in terms of adding torque sensing to our custom built ebikes? I’m searching for options other than Tongsheng and Cycle Analyst at the moment.. and trying to figure out what’s available in the Chinese market, specifically, what’s the best thing that could be slapped together using Kunteng hardware.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Also btw, are those torque simulation controllers any good in comparison to the real thing? Cheers

If you don't mind why would you not choose the CAv3 for this functionality?

So as you swap out motors and try different controllers, that functionality remains ideal with minimum hacking around required?

Well, because the ca3 costs 200, that plus 100 for the torque sensor is basically the cost of a tsdz2 and id rather just go with that. At bms battery, their torque sensor with controller is only 100us, and I was curious how far I could upgrade and what my options were if I got one of those. I’m also wondering if all I need is torque simulation ..

Was also curious which controllers the sempu, and other manufacturers build their sensors for by design, surely they can’t all be for the ca3? And was interested in learning about these products regardless. I just found some new stuff here in my search..
C$ 155.76 | colored TFT LCD display 24v36v48v52v60v72v IPS screen vertical/horizontal middle type+controller electric bike scooter mtb parts
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/NAfy7cy0

Looks like you have to use the special controller and LCD for these torque sensors outside of the CA. I'm curious too if there are more options, but this makes sense because whatever system you are using would need the right programming to interpret the sensor. Seems odd there is only that one controller though, but maybe that's all these torque sensors can handle?

Powerhour said:
Hello people,
Was curious if someone could help me as I’m having a hard time lost in google and web stores looking for answers..

I was interested in the torque sensor+controller that can be bought from bmsbattery, and/or any other resource possibly available. The kit at bms battery looks good for a good price, but I already have an LCD3 and I’d like to find a 12 fet controller, or anything a little bigger than the low end KT one it comes with.

Basically, my question is this. What options are out there for diy builders in terms of adding torque sensing to our custom built ebikes? I’m searching for options other than Tongsheng and Cycle Analyst at the moment.. and trying to figure out what’s available in the Chinese market, specifically, what’s the best thing that could be slapped together using Kunteng hardware.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Also btw, are those torque simulation controllers any good in comparison to the real thing? Cheers

Go with KT/S0xx motor controllers with our OpenSource firmware and a torque sensor. That from BMSBattery works but I ogt 2 units that broke. I think Sempu ones are good. Ask on the KT OpenSource firmware thread, the guys there have a LOT of experience on torque sensors.

BMSBattery torque sensor inside:
98-9.png

See all the tecnhical details I wrote here:

https://opensourceebikefirmware.bitbucket.io/development/Torque_sensors--BMSBattery_torque_sensor.html

Awesome. I'll check it out. Thanks.
Actually starting to think I should just get the TSDZ2 and run your firmware, almost seems like a no brainer in comparison to anything else out there. I noticed I could also use the 850C that's awesome, are there other bafang LCDs compatible with this, that are landscape oriented? using it with the 750C would be sweet
Thanks

Powerhour said:
Awesome. I'll check it out. Thanks.
Actually starting to think I should just get the TSDZ2 and run your firmware, almost seems like a no brainer in comparison to anything else out there. I noticed I could also use the 850C that's awesome, are there other bafang LCDs compatible with this, that are landscape oriented? using it with the 750C would be sweet
Thanks
See the available options on the wiki.

casainho said:
98-9.png

https://opensourceebikefirmware.bitbucket.io/development/Torque_sensors--BMSBattery_torque_sensor.html

out of curiosity, what is the piece that breaks? the axis?
Is it not adaptable to the axis of a bafang bbs?

andrea_104kg said:
casainho said:
98-9.png

out of curiosity, what is the piece that breaks? the axis?
Is it not adaptable to the axis of a bafang bbs?
Yes, the axis that broke to me.

Also the current rating of torque sensor supported controllers is pretty small in comparison to the usual e-bike controllers. Is beefing up the shunt, something people do, with these controllers as well?
Thanks

Back