Chinese Frames Geo "outdated" specifics?

Twistgripper

100 mW
I keep seeing the comments about chinese Geo being outdated and the bikes will handle poorly.

Specifically looking at Dengfu 09 and Frey AM1000.

What are the main problems with these bikes geometry? how will that affect handling? (HT angle less slack, slightly long chainstays, etc)

I'm not entering any enduro races, but i do want a bike that will be fun to decend, mild jumps even, and still climb reasonably well..

First of all there hardly is any geo that gives something without giving up something. There are many things that are in fashion, are not better allround, just different.

Second, you have to understand there is an incredible amount of snobbery in the bike world. People paying more, then having to justify it.

Third, having a powerful motor and throttle on your bike completely changes the game. Useful measurements before become irrelevant and just sacrificing comfort, and so on. Many things that are taken for granted as better when comparing push bike geos are irrelevant.

Fourth, what is better ultimately depends on your use case. Do you want it to perform better offroad, or want an adventure cruiser, maybe want to set it up for efficiency? You will be looking at quite different setups in each case.

Fifth, I looked at the AM1000 and the geo is spot on in 2019 for a bike in its class, so they are talking bullsh*t. :)

Thank you. I'm looking for something comparable to Haibike Nduro or Giant Trance-e as far a geometry goes.

Far too much talk about the motors and power - not enough about GEO.

When downhill riding, the motor is far more irrelevant than the bikes geo and quality suspension. I just want help on the uphills...

My city singletrack trails are also very nasty rooty bumpy things so geo and suspension are important to me.

If you want to go harder I would inquire about the Frey EX or you will have some serious buyers' remorse.

https://electrek.co/2019/09/16/frey-bike-electric-bicycle-cc-ex-am1000/

Very nice, I didn't know about that model...but it was JUST released...and they are saying 2-3 months before ready to ship. Thats ok with our Canadian Winters but I have a hunch sales are going to explode and there will be a waiting list - meaning i might not even be able to get one for the spring 2020 season. Guess i'll have to message them directly to see if I can secure one.

I'll spend some time comparing AM1000 vs EX1000 vs Trance-E geo and make a decision soon I hope. I'm getting tired of endless researching of models...

Update: Did some comparing:
- Frey AM1000 has a few odd (not normal) geo specs, its not that bad...stack it a bit high and wheelbase long.
- Frey M600 2.0 has very modern Geo - very similar to the 2020 Giant Trance E+! This is on my short list.
- Denfu M09 (luna X1) - still have to lookup the geo on this one but I will be comparing it...

Twistgripper said:
I'm getting tired of endless researching of models...

You could just find an upper midrange 2-3 yr old enduro/dh bike for 1200-1400. Then slap a cyc on it. That's what I did.

Tommm said:
If you want to go harder I would inquire about the Frey EX or you will have some serious buyers' remorse.

https://electrek.co/2019/09/16/frey-bike-electric-bicycle-cc-ex-am1000/

I don't need or want that much power - i'd prefer the M600 over the AM1000

[youtube]P6b9RxXGzSY[/youtube]

Rider skill beats "geo"...

So if you don't listen to all the "latest is greatest" bullshit most modern decent brand bikes are good. Even the decent chinese bikes.

A talented rider in a bike park (read=smooth) they know well isn't really putting much stress on the suspension. You can ride BMX in there afterall.

It's thundering down an unfamiliar rock garden where good geometry and suspension really start to become apparent.
I do second the used bike plus CYC comment if you don't mind some DIY.

I'm fully aware of the DIY option. (not my cup of tea). That was not the purpose of the post.

I started this topic to address the criticism regarding geometry of Unknown brand/unbranded imported frames/bikes from china. I keep reading so many comments on forums/reddit etc saying they have outdated geo. You know how it is, if you hear something repeated enough times it's human nature to assume it is true...

Comment from Tommm in this topic - suggested such criticism is not true for some bikes (like the Frey AM1000, M600, Dengfu M09)

So last night I decided to put in the time and looked up all the geo specs on my "short list" of bikes and compared them directly spec for spec against some brand name AM/trail bikes like the Norco Range VLT, Giant Reign E+ and Giant Trance E+.

What I found is these bikes are very close to current Brand name bikes in most Geo specs. So the criticism about outdated frame designs should not be used as a generalization for all chinese imports.

PS: Sam Pilgrim could dominate Whistler on a Penny Farthing - that video just proves I need good suspension to make up for my lack of skill :lol:

Frey's geo is perfectly fine. I suspect those criticizing it have allegiances elsewhere.

The only downsides are

1. The all up weight
2. The motor efficiencies.

You can get past the weight by using lighter components ($$$) but there's no avoiding the heavy motors (especially the ultra) and frames, which are built to take some abuse for sure.

Motor efficiencies are below (sometimes only slightly) the commercial offerings, but they make up for that by using larger batteries (which impact the weight of course).

Otherwise, the Frey bikes are perfectly ok design wise, and great value compared to it's nearest price competitor Merida. I ride with a group with a lot of different bikes and have no problems keeping up on any terrain with the 1000, can't say I'm more than an average rider either. It also doubles as an amazing urban cruiser.

I can't wait to try my M600 V2 which is sitting at home awaiting a battery.. it is lighter than the AM1000 by about 4kgs from estimates. However, nowhere near as light as a basic Merida which is 23kg give or take.

Happy to give a comparison between the two when it does :)

Back