BBS02 weird Throttle/PAS intermittent issues?

claussen

1 µW
I'm having a strange intermittent issue with my BBS02 + PAS + thumb throttle.
Two days in a row, I've ridden to work, and when I went to leave work, the display turns on and reads as usual, but neither PAS nor throttle works. It's like it's dead/inhibited.
Battery is fine and plenty charged.
The speed sensor is working fine -- at least it reads out speed correctly when I pedal around.
I haven't changed anything in the setup, and everything is rigidly mounted -- the cables are all totally intact.

I tried unplugging and checking all the various parts that might inhibit the motor -- the brake lever inhibit sensors are working fine -- disconnecting them doesn't get it to run. Removing the throttle also doesn't fix it.
All external connections appear solid -- I've opened/reconnected each one and there is no dirt or moisture in any of them.

After power cycling a number of times and riding around a bunch, it eventually started working again, on both days.

This morning, it was again working, straight out of the garage.
I rode to work, but found that PAS wouldn't engage *unless I tapped the throttle*.
Once I do tap it, it works as expected, outputting at the set level, until I stop pedaling. At this point I have to tap the throttle again to get it to fire up. Once it's running, the motor is as strong as ever, never drops out unexpectedly. I mostly ride around at 20% assist, so it's not getting a lot of undue heating.

So: power output is good, battery charge is fine, but PAS is being weird and having some strange interaction with the throttle.

Is this an intermittency in the PAS sensor, a dying controller, a bad throttle, or what? How would you diagnose it? Should I crack the case and see if there's anything obvious internally?

thanks!

I would start with either PAS, or throttle, disconnect it, test, if problem re-occurs, reverse the choice and test again. If problem replicates with only one, and not the other, replace input source. If problem with each, singly, then controller. Note to test BOTH, alone, the same way even if the first one fails.

Check pins very, very carefully for looseness in the housing, both sides of connection, a bad connection, loose pin, or bad wire is, BY FAR, the number one source of problems.

You may need to take photos and carefully specify controller type if replacement required, apparently these are changed at the factory frequently and getting the correct replacement is not a simple matter. At least with some vendors.

Thanks AngryBob.
This morning it was back to no PAS and no throttle, so I took the cover/controller off and found there was quite a bit of water in there. I'm in Seattle...
It's still drying out, so I'll see how things look after that...
Water seems like a plausible culprit, but I'll check the pins more closely this evening. Nothing in there smelled like anything was wrong in a let-the-smoke-out way, just clear water.

Regardless of whether I find a loose pin/bad connection, I'm wondering if there's a way to prevent so much water ingress with some additional external/internal sealing? First step is a better mudflap...
Do I just need to suck it up and get an HD for wetter weather? What a horrible fate that would be... :lol:

This one came from Luna, so hopefully they can help with correct controller versioning if it comes to that.

Your vendor is specifically the one I was referencing, who sent out the wrong replacement controller, MULTIPLE TIMES, After receiving pictures.

You can hope, I go by track record.

The owner referenced smoking crack as a possible cause of the repeated mistakes.

Back