Tongsheng, add throttle functionality

Platypus

100 mW
I use my Tongsheng as pedal assist only. I would like to add a throttle to it. I have a throttle lever, but the plug on the cable is the wrong shape to connect to the motor unit.

AFAIK the Tongsheng comes in two versions, with & without throttle. I seem to have the version without.

Is it possible to retrofit a throttle to it?

Yes it is, although I haven't done it myself. Throttle connection can also be used for temperature sensor (with the open source firmware), so you can open the controller box and use this guide to connect the throttle. You just need to figure out which wire goes to which lead.

@ilu thank you for your help. I do not quite understand how it works:

1. Do I follow these instructions, but install the throttle instead of the temperature sensor?
2. I can have either a) the throttle, or b) the temperature sensor, but not both. Is this correct?
3. I need the open source firmware to do this. Correct?
4. Currently, I have the factory firmware. Does it matter when I install the open source firmware?

Thanks again.

Platypus said:
@ilu thank you for your help. I do not quite understand how it works:

1. Do I follow these instructions, but install the throttle instead of the temperature sensor?
2. I can have either a) the throttle, or b) the temperature sensor, but not both. Is this correct?
3. I need the open source firmware to do this. Correct?
4. Currently, I have the factory firmware. Does it matter when I install the open source firmware?

Thanks again.
1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Yes.
4. No.

Follow the wiki instructions to learn how to install and configure the advanced features of our OpenSource firmware.

casainho said:
Follow the wiki instructions to learn how to install and configure the advanced features of our OpenSource firmware.
Thanks. I will install the throttle first.

I am also in the process of preparing the throttle. I ordered a throttle enabled controller. It sits on my workbench, but I expect to have it in by the end of January.

Where do the throttle wires go after they leave the controller?

I have the 6 wire controller, VLCD5 display, and a throttle that connects to the display.
Hasaf said:
I am also in the process of preparing the throttle. I ordered a throttle enabled controller. It sits on my workbench, but I expect to have it in by the end of January.
Hi Hasaf. Maybe we can help each other.

A throttle should need 3 wires. 1 is supply, 2 is gnd and 3 is throttle signal which is an analog voltage that increases when you give more throttle. Some throttles use a hall sensor and others use a potentiometer. You should have 3 wires coming from your throttle that connect to the motor controller board. I assume you should measure 5V between supply and gnd. The throttle signal is an input, so it's hard to tell what you should measure on that. If the throttle itself is connected correctly to supply and gnd, you should measure a stable voltage between throttle signal and gnd that increases when you give more throttle. If your throttle is the potentiometer type, you can measure it's resistance to figure out the wires. This doesn't work on a hall sensor type.

I ama teacher, so I am on winter break. This break I installed a throttle kit. By Kit, I took the easy way out and ordered a throttle enabled controller.

It went well, I ended up needing to clean up some wires, such as to the head/tail-light circuit. As it cam eith no instructions, I needed to play with the connectors a bit to get the right combination.

The reason for this is that I have not been impressed with the TongSheng's power output. By way of example, when commuting in 25+ mph headwinds I am getting knocked down to 9-12 mph (while pedaling hard). I am considering the possibility that I am not able to put enough aginst the torque senseor to get full output. The purpose of the throttle is to let me see if I am gettng full output.

I won't know how well it is working untill I am commuting again, in a couple of weeks. However, having used the straight TongSheng kit for the first semester, there is no way I am going to believe the 750W TongSheng has the same level of output as the 750W BaFang. This test will let me know.

Are you using the standard firmware or the osf firmware on the motor?
With controller I assume you replaced the controller pcb in the motor?
Maybe Tongsheng is more focussing on the european market with a power limit of 250W
It probably can handle peaks of 750W, but it might overheat if you continously feed it 750W
For that, the temperature sensor is a good addon as it limits the power when the temperature becomes to high.
It's a pitty it's not compatible with a throttle as it uses the same controller input.

obcd said:
Are you using the standard firmware or the osf firmware on the motor?
With controller I assume you replaced the controller pcb in the motor?

I am running the standard firmware.
Yes, by controller I mean the unit in the motor housing. Both sides of the motor housing need to be removed to install it. One side is removed to get at the controller, the other side is removed to get at the screws holding it in place.

I just don't think this unit is strong enough to meet my commuting environment needs.

To Add:
I just tested it. The wind (according to Wunderground) was only about 24-25mph. It worked okay. In that, the throttle did work, however, it really didn't add to my pedalling. I was between 15 and 17mph. I am just going to have to admit that this is a low power unit and work from there.

My BaFang is currently being installed on my Velomovile, another Bafang may be in the works. But then, I may go for a more powerful hub motor.

You could try the "open source firmware" The usb adapter you need to reflash the motor is really cheap.
If you don't like it, it's no big loss.
You could also try a higher voltage battery like a 13S (48V) or even a 14S (52V). This obviously is not a cheap solution if you already have a 36V battery.
It sounds like you already decided to switch to bafang.

obcd said:
A throttle should need 3 wires. 1 is supply, 2 is gnd and 3 is throttle signal which is an analog voltage that increases when you give more throttle. Some throttles use a hall sensor and others use a potentiometer. You should have 3 wires coming from your throttle that connect to the motor controller board. I assume you should measure 5V between supply and gnd. The throttle signal is an input, so it's hard to tell what you should measure on that. If the throttle itself is connected correctly to supply and gnd, you should measure a stable voltage between throttle signal and gnd that increases when you give more throttle. If your throttle is the potentiometer type, you can measure it's resistance to figure out the wires. This doesn't work on a hall sensor type.

Hi @obcd. I stripped open the cable and found 3 wires: red, green and yellow. I can read a voltage between the green, and either of the two other wires. I used a cable tie to keep the throttle closed. I am having trouble identifying which one. Is there another way to tell?

The wiring in the picture looks extremely fine, and it would be easy to make a mess with the soldering iron. Is it as hard as it looks? I may be better of selling this motor on ebay and buying the throttle version.

Platypus said:
Hi @obcd. I stripped open the cable and found 3 wires: red, green and yellow. I can read a voltage between the green, and either of the two other wires. I used a cable tie to keep the throttle closed. I am having trouble identifying which one. Is there another way to tell?
yes, you move the throttle while measuring.

the voltage that changes is the signal.

if you keep the thtrottle in one position it's votlage doesnt change so you can't tell that way.

@Platypus, so you have the "non throttle" motor and want to add a throttle if I resume correctly?
If you have the 6 wire display connector, than the throttle input isn't leaving the controller.
It's only doing that on the throttle enabled motor.

So you would need to bring the throttle signal out yourself, together with the 5V supply. The third throttle wire is GND.

On a throttle enabled motor, throttle and 5V go to the display and are passed to the cable used to connect the throttle.
GND was already present as the display needs it as well, so that one is also passed to the throttle connector.

I could be wrong about this, as I don't have a motor myself yet.
So, the throttle enabled motor passes 2 extra signals to the display. That's the 5V and throttle input.
GND already existed in the 6 wires that the non throttle version is having as well.

Back