BBS02 or BBSHD for my wife's hardtail

cavi

10 W
time to put a motor on my wife's specialized hardtail. I have a BSHD on my bike, but for hers I am considering the 02 due to the smaller size, price and it will go farther on the battery as her frame is limited on space it is going to get a Wolf PUP from Luna. It will be mainly ridden on dirt trails with small creek crossings and puddles and mud. Will a 02 handle it? I know theBBSHD is sealed but the 02 does not appear to be.

My wife and I have BBS02's and they work great off road at 52V, 10 ah (rides 10 - 20 miles with 1500' - 3000' ascent). That motor should be fine for your wife unless she is a daredevil-type.

not at all, she would rather never leave the pavement, and for sure she will complain if I take her on any trail that gets even a bit off camber

I'm in the same boat, I have a BBSHD on a Giant Talon, and I'm debating BBS02 or BBSHD for her bike build. I'm leaning to BBSHD just so I have two the same kits, for parts swap, repair familiarity, etc.

I have made up my mind. BBS02. Reasons: Her frame is small and I will be limited to a battery like the Wolf PUP, soo with the BBS02 she will get a longer run time than with the BBSHD. Second, 200 less....... Third, smaller and lighter, did I mention that she is 5ft zero and 120 lbs, sooo bike weight is an issue. Last did I mention 200 less.......

Can you share where you're going to buy the kit? I'm roughly in the same boat and I'm trying to decide whether or not to just buy a kit + battery from Amazon.

Honestly I am going to buy from Lunacycle, I have had great experience with them on my bike, their prices are competitive and they upgrade the controller to make them more bulletproof. As for a battery she needs to run their Wolf PUP due to space restrictions

You may already know this, but it's very beneficial to run a smaller chainring. Test the stock chainring for top speed on flat land, and if you can live with 10% less top speed, get a chainring that has 10% fewer teeth. You will suddenly notice it doesn't quite bog down as much as before, and the motor will run a little cooler.

I'd pick a 02 over the hd any time. Cheaper, less hassle to install and more efficient. Check out justins tests of both models. Also consider spinningmagnets advice of using a smaller chainring (and/or a larger cog). I haul routinely 250Kg+ over a 600-700m hill with the 02 geared very low thanks to an alfine 8sp IGH. Never head overheating issue. The key is keeping a close look on wattage. as long as you stay under 750-800W continuously, you'll not get into troubles.

Back