TSDZ2 Stronger BB Spindle

beardydave

10 µW
Hello!

I'm having problems snapping BB spindles at the groove where the circlips locate. I am a heavy and strong cyclist, I've destroyed plenty of BB and pedal spindles and cranks in my time, but I've done three of these in the last year (approx one every 1,000 miles) and I'm a bit fed up of it. So I've asked around and found a couple of companies that are willing to look at producing a stronger version.

I was planning on getting it made identical to the existing one but in hella strong steel and without the circlip grooves, which clearly act as a stress riser exactly where you least want one. I was planning to instead retain the bearings (or locate the spindle, depending how you look at it) using thin sleeves with wavy washers locating against the inside of the crank arms.

Has anyone tried this before?
Any other solutions to this problem?
Any comments / advice on this proposal?
And finally would anyone be interested in buying one of these if I do get them made? 10 of them would be cheaper per unit than 2! No idea on actual cost yet.

Cheers

beardydave said:
Hello!

I'm having problems snapping BB spindles at the groove where the circlips locate. I am a heavy and strong cyclist, I've destroyed plenty of BB and pedal spindles and cranks in my time, but I've done three of these in the last year (approx one every 1,000 miles) and I'm a bit fed up of it. So I've asked around and found a couple of companies that are willing to look at producing a stronger version.

I was planning on getting it made identical to the existing one but in hella strong steel and without the circlip grooves, which clearly act as a stress riser exactly where you least want one. I was planning to instead retain the bearings (or locate the spindle, depending how you look at it) using thin sleeves with wavy washers locating against the inside of the crank arms.

Has anyone tried this before?
Any other solutions to this problem?
Any comments / advice on this proposal?
And finally would anyone be interested in buying one of these if I do get them made? 10 of them would be cheaper per unit than 2! No idea on actual cost yet.

Cheers

Sorry I don't have solution for your problem. But maby you ask this thread, there is lot of discussion of TSDZ2 motors.
https://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=79788

Back