Revonte ONE drive system

Hello, I searched around and did not see anything here about this company.
They're from Finland and they make a mid drive with an integrated automatic gearbox with Toyota Prius like technology.

I'm really excited about this one.

https://revonte.com/

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/revonte-launches-a-stepless-e-bike-motor.html

https://www.youtube.com/embed/NlKcPrzoN1E

they will be at the GoExpo in Helsinki in collaboration with Tunturi Bike on 28 feb - 1 march 2020.

Attachments

• p4pb17643543.jpg
    p4pb17643543.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 2,128
That’s pretty cool. A CVT for an ebike. I wonder how the efficiency is? My guess is pretty good since there don’t seem to be many places for losses.

Yeah, hope to see more details from the inside in the coming weeks. They got 2 mil US $ investment so they must do something right.

Found this one, and wonder what the point is? 2x motors, both with a fixed gear. One just to simulate a cvt, and one to actually provide assistance which bypasses the planetary gears so with a fixed ratio.

So basically an overengineered mid drive working like a geared hub drive. Seriously guys? So much hype nowadays and so little actual progress.

If you are looking for an integrated system that combines gearing and assistanceinto a single mid drive unit, check out kervelo. They have been around for quite some time, and provide actual results. And the fact that they are struggling to achieve any market penetration shows the limitations of the concept.

qwerkus said:
Found this one, and wonder what the point is? 2x motors, both with a fixed gear. One just to simulate a cvt, and one to actually provide assistance which bypasses the planetary gears so with a fixed ratio.

So basically an overengineered mid drive working like a geared hub drive. Seriously guys? So much hype nowadays and so little actual progress.

If you are looking for an integrated system that combines gearing and assistanceinto a single mid drive unit, check out kervelo. They have been around for quite some time, and provide actual results. And the fact that they are struggling to achieve any market penetration shows the limitations of the concept.
I think you misunderstand the concept.Its not fixed gear.Thats the whole point with the second motor.To spin the outer ring som the gear ratio is variable.But I also wonder if there is any production problems,because nothing seems to happen with the marketing.

1boris said:
I think you misunderstand the concept.Its not fixed gear.Thats the whole point with the second motor.To spin the outer ring some the gear ratio is variable.But I also wonder if there is any production problems,because nothing seems to happen with the marketing.

You mean the first motor (at least in the video). Maybe I'm mistaken, but from what I understand, that motor's purpose is to change the pedal-to-chainring gearing by adjusting the speed of the sun gear in the planetary setup. If you apply a fixed pedaling cadence of like 70-90rpm to the planets (which are connected to the pedal axle), the ratio of the sun gear outer ring (which is the one connected to the chainring) is constant, so effectively a fixed gear assist requiring energy to do the same job a pignon gearbox would do without external energy input, which makes you wonder why one would pedal at all!

Than comes the second motor, directly connected to the same outer ring, also with a fixed gear. So we have 2x electrical motors connected to the output power via a fixed gear; only variable stuff is the pedal to output ratio, which seems to be negligible in a 2kw setup. Sure the energy input of the second motor will make the life of the first one easier, but I don't think there is a net energy saving in that equation...

Like I said: I don't see the point. If you go fixed gear, a left drive system or a any geared hub seem to be a much more cost effective option.

it also makes the gear variable for the motor.have you seen the video where they test the bike up a steep hill in high gear and slow cadence.you cant do that with other ebikes out there

I've been chatting with the CEO of Revonte regarding their drive. A few notes from our conversation:

• Yup, they are slow to market, and seem to be unconcerned about it. It looks like a very lean, small Finnish team with a very low burn rate to me. Their focus is getting into the Euro market in 2022 and (maybe) North America in 2023. I don't know what y'all think, but this doesn't seem like a schedule for success - too relaxed...

• If the drive were unconstrained by a limited top speed (per Euro and NA regulation) they could simply use a single motor driving the sun gear. Instead, they use both motors to propel when the rider is below the speed limit, and then they use the second drive motor (the one on the downtube) to RESIST the rider (and regen the battery), and maintain a gear ratio using the so-called control motor. The schema is:
    • the control motor drives the sun gear to set the ratio
    • the rider inputs power via the planet carrier, and
    • the drive motor engages with the final drive on the ring gear to resist and take out just as much power as the control motor puts in, to meet regulation
    This does sound a little crazy, but per regulation the drive cannot assist over the speed limit.

• I think it is a clever system. I love the CVT / no exposed cogs geartrain, and their latest demo bike uses a belt. But I have serious doubts whether they will succeed in the business, as there seems to be a lack of urgency in the company. That said, I hope they do succeed, as I want one, even at a premium price.

Back