Improving BBSHD chainline: 42T Lekkie or Eclipse?

ColinC

10 mW
I'd like to improve the chainline on my BBSHD fat bike. Attached photos will show my current setup with the Eclipse 36T ring. I'm not throwing the chain, but shifting is rough and certainly there's chain wear when I'm in the larger rear cogs of my Sunrace CSMS8 11-46. I have the 120mm BBSHD and am currently using 3.5-4mm spacers on the right/drive side, and 16mm of spacers on the left/non-drive side. Just eyeballing, a 'straight' chainline with my current setup puts me at about the 3rd/15T rear cog; looks like I'd need about 14-15mm to get to the center of the cassette. Currently there's about 30-35mm offset between "straight" and my largest 46T rear cog.

From what little I've read, both the Eclipse 42T and Lekkie Bling 42T are quality rings. So the main issue for me is which is the better choice as far as fit/clearance. I've read that the Eclipse offers somewhat more offset, but has a larger diameter (?). I vaguely remember reading about a concern with the Eclipse's larger tooth length and challenging chain removal (?), as well as a 'quality control' issue with the Lekkie requiring some filing (?) to work with some chains?

'Any thoughts/advice appreciated!

A.JPG
B.JPG
C smaller.JPG
D smaller.JPG
E smaller.JPG

I currently run the Lekkie 42 tooth and have a decent chain line, but I wish I could run the 36 tooth due to the climbing abilities. Honestly if your bike will shift in to those gears, I would live with it as is, chain wear and all........ However if you are going to swap to the 42 tooth, I started with the Eclipse and it will definitely give you a slightly better chain line, but I like the Lekkie more. Personal preference

If you can do without the two smallest cogs of your cassette you could place them behind the largest cog. You'll lose those two gears for shifting (the become spacers to move the cassette outward) and need to restrict the derailleur in travel.

ColinC said:
You make a good point cavi...I'm considering that too...I don't like the idea of losing that climbing ability either.

That's an interesting idea SlowCo; I hadn't considered that. Trade-offs are always tough...I want it all!!! :lol:

From experience it is the best option. With an ebike in general you really don't need the normal bicycle range of cassette gears. If you use your bike both on and off road a front double might be more useful. And it saves you a bit of money buying more expensive rings.

Back