Is this my1016z2 brushed 32v250w chain motor fixable?

pauldeden

1 mW
First post. Hoping to find out if my first ebike motor is salvageable. I bought a cheap kit for my first build so the cost of failure would be less. I got a my1016z2 brushed 32v250w chain motor. It worked for a couple of weeks but now the sprocket got loose. See pics.
IMG_0032.jpg
IMG_0033.jpg

The mounting bracket didn't fit my Fuji Crosstown 3.0 because of the curved frame so I had to bend it with a sledge hammer and a vice and the motor's chain never fit perfectly. It fell off quite a bit.

Thank you for your time.

it's just a freewheel. you unbolt and then remove the adapter that holds the freewheel on, then replace the freewheel on the adapter.

the freewheel may be one of the chinese "standard" threads rather than the common bicycle types as listed here
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/freewheels.html
so if you get a new one and it doesnt' fit your adapter, you may have to find a different threading that does, or get a different shaft adapter.

since we can't see in your pics how this mounts to the bike we can't help you with that part.

we also can't see how the chain is setup. depending on how that is, there is a problem with how freewheels are designed to work that may cause it to unthread itself if it's put on backwards, and another problem with how they work that causes bearings/etc to fail when backdriven under load.

see this thread:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=104778

Here are the pics of the motor mounted to my bike.

As you can see the mounting plate doesn't fit perfectly, I assume because the top of the triangle it is mounting to on the frame is curved. The top of the mounting plate or the bottom can be attached and still get the motor's chain taunt but not both. I was holding the bottom one on with 3 big zip ties.

Like I said above the chain kept coming off until I kept the chain tighter. Eventually, I used a strong bungee cord to keep the motor lifted up and the chain tight but from the link above I assume keeping the chain tight is what caused the freewheel to break.

So, my question is is there a way to modify this mounting bracket to fit this bike, or do you know of a place I can buy another that would?

And do you have any other ideas/tips for getting this setup to work?

If it helps, this is the kit I purchased. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H5FFJ52/ref=twister_B0736SBR95?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you very much for your time.

Attachments

• IMG_0038 (1).jpg
    IMG_0038 (1).jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 345
  • IMG_0039 (1).jpg
    IMG_0039 (1).jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 345
  • IMG_0043 (1).jpg
    IMG_0043 (1).jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 345
  • IMG_0040 (1).jpg
    IMG_0040 (1).jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 345
  • IMG_0046 (1).jpg
    IMG_0046 (1).jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 345
  • IMG_0048 (1).jpg
    IMG_0048 (1).jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 345
  • IMG_0052 (1).jpg
    IMG_0052 (1).jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 345
it does sound like the chain might've been too tight, and caused the freewheel to bind on the outer threaded part, so it unscrewed itself.

youre probably going to have to modify the mounting plate (or make a new one) that allows for a good straight chainline to the motor, without having the chain so tight. you don't want the chain so loose that it can come off riding over rough surfaces, but you do want a bit of slack in it.

(a tight chain also wears out faster)

you may be able to take a new freewheel apart, thoroughly degrease it, clean it, and then use loctite on it's internal threads (the ones that hold it together, not the ones that hold it to the adapter), so that it can't unscrew itself easily. i forget if it's red or blue loctite that is not removable, but that's the kind you want. after the loctite is cured then you can oil the freewheel with light machine oil into the gaps beween the sprocket part and the part that mounts to the adapter.

you can also probably use u-bolts to connect the mounting plate to the frame, rather than the plate-and-bolts they supply.

Back