bafang bbs02

ejonesss

10 kW
i was wondering is there a way to use the bafang motor with just the motor, battery and throttle (no display or sensors?

i saw over at lunacycle there is a bare motor (while probably intended as a replacement for broken motor) it is $350 and if there is no communication or diagnostics being performed by the built in controller i should be able to run the motor with just battery and throttle.

i know the on demand power does work because i saw in a youtube video where they replaced a blown controller they was able to test the throttle and it ran.

or is there a wire that has to be jumped to bypass the control signal from the display?

at $350 for bare motor + a few dollars for the mounting kit and stablizer bar it is less than a full kit witch they are out of stock at the time and i am not sure if they are going to restock or even when.

thanks

I've had good success receiving answers from them, usually within hours, with their support system, if this isn't answered here. Have you tried that or is it closed down by the current situation?

i tried utahtrikes.com but they said it requires the display but it could be they never tried it or there is some switch passthrough or they want to sell kits rather than bare motors so new users can save.

i tried lunacycle but they answer emails in order received so i have not heard from them.

i did not try bafang them self as they are a chinese company and will probably be closed.

so i am left with the es forum users as others may have tried it.

i guess i could remove the internal controller and wire up an external controller like lyen's sensorless controller.

If it is just a bare motor you will still need a controller......If you do not run a controller what is the plan? On and off only? If iwas you I would just get a BBS02 kit, and not run the pas, it can be turned off then run just the throttle which will do exactly what you are wanting and If I remember correctly it is only like 100 more.

Yes, you can jumper the BBS02 display harness, and the controller will default to whatever PAS level was last set. If that was zero, I guess you get no PAS. If it were set for no throttle in PAS 0, you're also screwed, but Luna controllers used to be set for throttle always on.

I cannot remember, but back in my more inquisiitive days, I'm sure I done the jumper trick on my own BBS02 and the throttle worked. It's a common trick to jumper the display to start the controller. I believe every discrete ebike controller I have will start, and I haven't found any where the throttle didn't work.

Scroll down on this link til you find where they discuss it.
https://www.poweredride.com/info

Edit: I see you're talking about a bare motor. Nope, you need a controller, and a display is only $60 more.

It appears the "bare motor" does come with a controller. Just no other bits like brake levers, display, crank arms, speed sensor, etc.

You can jump two pins on the display cable input to turn the controller on as noted above, but you will need some of the other parts to have a working unit.

Back