CYC X1 Gen 2 5000W

nop

100 µW
I have heard these are being delivered and have seen unboxing and installs. Does anyone have one of these up and running?

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=95704&start=550

999zip999 said:
I just order one 5,000 Watt it just the controller is different I order the bac 800 Bluetooth controller
I ordered my yesterday also and found out they being shipped with the 855. The 800 option at check out had not been updated on the website.

Gen2 is not 5000 watts that's just frocking bullshit.

Sure, it will do 5000 watts for an extremely short period of time and the motor will limit power (or grenade if you don't have that setup).

Gen2 motor is almost exactly the same as gen1, FYI. It just has a more reliable magnet attachment (but not that reliable ask me about my several dead cyc motors) and different case color.

It's very clear that people who buy these kits are a bunch of jokers who don't use the power.

flat tire said:
Gen2 is not 5000 watts that's just frocking bullshit.

Sure, it will do 5000 watts for an extremely short period of time and the motor will limit power (or grenade if you don't have that setup).

Gen2 motor is almost exactly the same as gen1, FYI. It just has a more reliable magnet attachment (but not that reliable ask me about my several dead cyc motors) and different case color.

It's very clear that people who buy these kits are a bunch of jokers who don't use the power.

Damn, what failed in these motors? I thought the potting would save them. Lets see some pics!

SwampDonkey said:
Damn, what failed in these motors? I thought the potting would save them. Lets see some pics!

Potting won't save the motors from thermal damage it mostly protects the windings from mechanical damage and to some extent conducts heat. I love the potting it is great.

I have pictures somewhere. When the motor gets hot enough the adhesive for the magnets fails and they will detach even at relatively low speed like 7-8k rpm. One of my motors exploded the magnets and locked up pretty much immediately, another ran for several seconds with a loose magnet before totally locking up (whoah) and my gen1 (with the crappy, supposed loose magnet hazard) overheated and shorted the phases but still barely spun although it was on lower RPM maybe 6k.

Interestingly, the broken magnets are really, really demagnetized. So CYC's supposed high temp magnets couldn't take whatever I gave them lol.

I keep buying spare motors because the bike is fun to ride, although of course I want more power for longer and less hassle.

Eventually I've learned that after 10 minutes of hardcore racing on <3kw I have to take a break and pour water over the motor to keep it from overheating (don't get any on the hot glass if you do this).

So yeah all those people bragging about their high power CYC X1 are jokers who don't use the damn power.

Flat tire this joker hasn't got his kit yet. But only rode a banfang and Bosch. So what do I compare it to. You are a yin and yang on this motor ?
Why haven't you gone LR long block ? Or ?

The CYC will be better than bafang and bosch for sure. It is a good mid drive. I just don't like the misleading advertising on power levels.

Yeah, I want a drive that can take more power. But the LR looks crappier than the CYC even if it makes more power.

I like the size, weight, and level of engineering quality (mostly) of the CYC setup. It looks like it belongs on an expensive bike whereas the LR doesn't.

flat tire said:
SwampDonkey said:

Potting won't save the motors from thermal damage it mostly protects the windings from mechanical damage and to some extent conducts heat. I love the potting it is great.

I have pictures somewhere. When the motor gets hot enough the adhesive for the magnets fails and they will detach even at relatively low speed like 7-8k rpm. One of my motors exploded the magnets and locked up pretty much immediately, another ran for several seconds with a loose magnet before totally locking up (whoah) and my gen1 (with the crappy, supposed loose magnet hazard) overheated and shorted the phases but still barely spun although it was on lower RPM maybe 6k.

Interestingly, the broken magnets are really, really demagnetized. So CYC's supposed high temp magnets couldn't take whatever I gave them lol.

I keep buying spare motors because the bike is fun to ride, although of course I want more power for longer and less hassle.

Eventually I've learned that after 10 minutes of hardcore racing on <3kw I have to take a break and pour water over the motor to keep it from overheating (don't get any on the hot glass if you do this).

So yeah all those people bragging about their high power CYC X1 are jokers who don't use the damn power.

I thought the new version has the mags trapped within a steel sleeve on the rotor? Seems like that would make them tough to break loose.

I'm not sure what the actual purpose of the steel sleeve is because it certainly doesn't serve much purpose to retain the magnets even though CYC has marketed it that way. Take apart a motor and see for yourself. Apparently the real difference between gen1 and 2 was change of the adhesive or bonding process between the magnets and stator.

flat tire said:
One of my motors exploded the magnets and locked up pretty much immediately, another ran for several seconds with a loose magnet before totally locking up (whoah) and my gen1 (with the crappy, supposed loose magnet hazard) overheated and shorted the phases but still barely spun although it was on lower RPM maybe 6k.

@ flat tire: I don’t get it, don’t you use temp sensor and overtemp protection? Or wasn’t that enough to keep the cycs from bursting?

SwampDonkey said:
I thought the new version has the mags trapped within a steel sleeve on the rotor? Seems like that would make them tough to break loose.

The steel sleeve one is referenced gen 1.5 by cyc. I am curious how it fares in protecting the magnets vs gen 2 (went back to glue again). Apparently they changed because it makes some noise at high rpm but I don't hear anything out of the ordinary.

Tommm said:
SwampDonkey said:

The steel sleeve one is referenced gen 1.5 by cyc. I am curious how it fares in protecting the magnets vs gen 2 (went back to glue again). Apparently they changed because it makes some noise at high rpm but I don't hear anything out of the ordinary.

What kind of witchcraft does the Astroflight motor use? Seems like I never hear of their mags ripping free.

larsb said:
@ flat tire: I don’t get it, don’t you use temp sensor and overtemp protection? Or wasn’t that enough to keep the cycs from bursting?

Yes that would have been a good idea but the main aggravation was thermal limits butting into my riding not having to buy new motors. Overtemp wouldn't have fixed the big issue. Anyway I added drip water cooling to the shell a couple rides ago and that has made an extreme difference in how much power the motor can take. Haven't tested the limits yet.

999zip999 said:
I used to pour beer on my hot hub motor.

What were the circumstances that led to you always riding around with a bunch of beer?? I assume the beer joined the bike before it was thought to be used as coolant.

Well, that sucks to hear ab the shortcomings of the x1 pro. I haven't had the chance to push my gen 1 over 14s 70a yet, so I think I'll keep it there. The hardest I push it seems to be around 55 amps @ 55v , which holds 45mph on the bike. But that's only for <60 sec runs. Most of my riding on it is cruising at 20 amps, so I'm just going to join the joker's club out of protection of the investment.

I guess I'll have to look into the newer cyclone 4800w kit with factory metal gears and 90a controller. Gimme that chain snapping torque, hell yeah!

I have the gen 1 controller (14s 70a) , factory stock settings everything. It'll push 55a in my second-to-last gear (12t). Haven't tried to see what it could do in the 11t, maybe it'll go for 70a, I don't know. I'm satisfied with 45mph on that thing, don't need any more.

Back