Recommendation for Bafang M09 or E10

mr_jj

1 µW
Hi, I've seen some awesome builds here based on Dengfu carbon frames and Bafang motors. I'm keen to give this a try! Since I'm new at this, I'd be interested to hear what would be recommended. I will mainly be doing touring and gravel trails.
Cheers,
John

Hi. I have just completed 2 builds using the newer E10 frame. The geometry is perfect for an 'all-rounder' e-mtb. If you fit it out with 180mm travel forks you have a beast of a downhill unit but you can equally go more modest with components and build a good XC unit. I went with Suntour Durolux 180mm fork and Suntour Tri-air in the back. These are great value compared with Fox and Rockshox but of similar quality. The only negative to both the M09 and E10 is the low bottom bracket height and the 170mm cranks that come with the Bafang M600. This means that you always get peddle strikes when doing any moderate to rough trail. There are many comments on this and some have successfully had these cranks machined to a 152mm length. Rumour is that Lekkie are working on shorter forks so I am holding out for these. Finally, the E10 is designed to take a larger 17.5 A/H battery versus the M09 which used a 14 A/H model. I have 2 spare brand new 14 AH for the M09 available as Dengfu accidentally send me the wrong ones which they have since corrected. Let me know if anyone is interested in these. I am based in NZ but can arrange for shipping. Hope this helps. Picture of the completed E10 attached as well as the 2 batteries.

Attachments

• Assembled E-10 resized.JPG
    Assembled E-10 resized.JPG
    208.4 KB · Views: 1,391
  • Batteries 48v 14AH.JPG
    Batteries 48v 14AH.JPG
    159.6 KB · Views: 1,391
Hey,

Kiwitourer, where are you based? I am in Auckland and I am considering building an E10. What are your thoughts on the bike, I think you have had them a little while now? Is it worth the savings or would you spend a bit more on a branded bike if you were to do it again?

You built 2, are you importing them and selling? How much was it in NZD with shipping?

Sorry about all the questions, it's just a bit daunting buying blind from overseas. I purchased a Bafang mid-drive motor kit for my road bike 4 years ago and it's great! It's still going super strong, the battery is as good as new. But, at the time of buying it, I felt like I was taking a huge chance and when it arrived I thought o lucked out!

Cheers

Back