Best place to buy a BBHSD

jangles

1 W
I usually buy them from Bafang direct but lately the little ass w^^e has been a jerk so I had them cancel last nights order just now . They seem to think I HAVE to buy their battery or they want nothing to do with you after the sale . So , who can be recommended to buy from that doesn't charge full retail /ie: ridiculous prices . May bey there's a better mid drive kit out here I dont know about ? I'm all about power and I have a 100 mm BB . Thanks for looking .

If you are in Arizona Luna is just as good as any. Covid has increased shipping costs from China so there's no price advantage. I think they have 100mm BB in stock for $639 right now.

I'm looking for a motor only, no controller bare bones unit but nobody will sell me one without a controller.

Yes I just now pulled the trigger at Luna . The problem with them is shipping is pretty slow .
I dont think anyone will sell it w/o a controller but you may get lucky . Why no controller , extras come in handy .

https://ebikes.ca/shop.html

jangles said:
Yes I just now pulled the trigger at Luna . The problem with them is shipping is pretty slow .
I dont think anyone will sell it w/o a controller but you may get lucky . Why no controller , extras come in handy .

lol, yah that's why I have 2 already.

I didn't have a problem with mine once I put a proper gasket on them. I had about 2000km on my 45A without a single issue.

I bought a new kit and some resistors so I'll do one up @ 48A and see what happens.

Well I broke it's cherry . I got less than 1/2 mile and it broke . I did all the trouble shooting and it comes down to the controller unfortunately LUNA wont do a dam thing about it . They also shorted me 1/2 the wheel magnet for the speed sensor . WTF ? How do these Morons stay in business ? I had to order a controller from another company . FK Luna and the bitch he rode in on . I'm looking to buy two more electric bikes in the very near ( as in now ) future but it sure as hell wont be from those weasels . I was warned and now lesson learned . BEWARE .

jangles said:
Well I broke it's cherry . I got less than 1/2 mile and it broke . I did all the trouble shooting and it comes down to the controller unfortunately LUNA wont do a dam thing about it . They also shorted me 1/2 the wheel magnet for the speed sensor . WTF ? How do these Morons stay in business ? I had to order a controller from another company . FK Luna and the bitch he rode in on . I'm looking to buy two more electric bikes in the very near ( as in now ) future but it sure as hell wont be from those weasels . I was warned and now lesson learned . BEWARE .

Curious what happened? Your controller just went puff? What battery got any pics? I just ordered my BBSHD kit? Did you go with the stock chainring?

I'd like to know also . I did all the diagnostics that they have and it just wont work so I ordered another one . They wouldnt believe me so I went with someone else . ( Paypal dispute filed) . Stock 48 Volt battery I was using on my dual , as a matter of fact this is the dual but I took both motor wheels off and replaced with 24x4 wheels . Stock 46 chain ring .

I'm surprised, I never had an issue with the controller once I started putting a proper gasket on it.

Did you use cork or just regular gasket paper?

jangles said:
It came with a rubber gasket .

Silicone. It's garbage.

Pop the electronics out of the dead one. There's 2 screws in the corner and by the wires you have to take out. Pull up on the wires and wiggle the controller out. Then you can trace the housing on gasket paper. I prefer cork. A leather punch helps make proper holes for bolts. I found cutting holes just to feed the wires through was easier than trying to make a thin profile. The square gasket around the wires seems to be good but it won't hurt to add a little silicone around them. Once you do that you won't have a problem with controllers.

The silicone gasket it comes with is very flimsy. If they aren't assembled properly they roll off the edge. The second one I fried never even got wet, it must have been condensation. The middle mosfet sits lowest and is usually the one to go.

Okay , I'll give that a go , thanks . I assume 1/16 or so for the gasket or same as a water thermostat on a car ? I'll yank my cruiser bikes controller out and do that one too .

jangles said:
Okay , I'll give that a go , thanks . I assume 1/16 or so for the gasket or same as a water thermostat on a car ? I'll yank my cruiser bikes controller out and do that one too .

I'm pretty sure it's 1/16 that I used. Fel-Pro rubberized cork.

It's a poor design. The housing is thin and so is the gasket. There should be locator pins to hold the gasket so it doesn't move as you torque it. Like you see on oil pan gaskets or valve cover gaskets. But there isn't enough real estate to do that. A cork gasket stays in place and you can tighten down on it good. The housing and the motor case are well machined and sit pretty flush, I almost think the silicone gasket makes it worse. The cutout part where the drive shaft goes through basically cups any water that gets in there, so it needs to be water proof. I'm pretty sure that's how my second one died. After I made the gasket myself I never had a problem. And I rode in the rain a lot.

****** 2screws ******

I edited my previous post to reflect this. There's actually 2 phillips head bolts with square washers that hold the controller to the housing. One by the wires and one opposite to it.

Sometimes the potting covers them, sometimes it doesn't.

I have the controller off . I never saw any screws other than the three hex screws around the perimeter . I'm waiting on my new controller so I'm dead in the water now .

So I started installing the kit today.

Bafang is still up to their old tricks. The silicone gasket between the controller and case is STILL glued to the case side with what appears to be a cyanoacrylate (ie. Crazy glue)

This isn't even a design flaw, this is bad engineering. You don't use a hard set adhesive on flexible gaskets.

It's a tedious job removing the gasket and glue but worth it. Pay close attention to the "inside" if you are going to make your own gasket. The lip is thinner on the inside and you need a nice clean fit because there are no bolts on that side to tighten down.

Quit messing with internal Bafang controllers and go external like I did with my lyen.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsRwVHwCCog[/youtube]

Na , just what I dont want to do is add more crap to the outside of the bike . I'll wait for my controller to get here . Screw you LUNA .

jangles said:
Na , just what I dont want to do is add more crap to the outside of the bike . I'll wait for my controller to get here . Screw you LUNA .

All bafang mid drive internal controllers are known to fail. Too much heat being next to the motor.

wineboyrider said:
All bafang mid drive internal controllers are known to fail. Too much heat being next to the motor.

I'm not convinced it's heat, not with the way they seal the controller. You won't find a thin silicone gasket held on by crazy glue on a car or motorcycle. Controllers should work with heat, they don't work well with water.

There is a small gap between the fet cooling fin and the housing that I fill with thermal paste just in case. That's actually a good design, having the fets on the outside edge of the controller up against the the housing helps with cooling. As long as the controller is in contact with the housing you have a lot of mass to conduct the heat away.

I kind of wish I had an external controller for mine, just for fun. But half of the reason I bought the BBSHD is because it's almost invisible.

Back