Mid drive noob question

BDamari

10 W
Hi guys, I have experience with hub motors but very new to mid drives (the motorcycle grade stuff)
I would like to know specifically how are drive sprockets mounted on rear wheels!
Are there sprockets that screw on the freewheel of a bicycle hub? are there specially made wheel hubs for that purpose? or adapters for regular bicycle wheels?
I can find information on chains and the rest later, but this part I'm having trouble finding information about.
If you could explain how that part works: how people usually do it, what's the best/easiest way, where to buy etc I would be very grateful.

BDamari said:
Hi guys, I have experience with hub motors but very new to mid drives (the motorcycle grade stuff)

This starts off a bit confusing to me. Are you building a bicycle or a motorcycle?

:D :bolt:

Overclocker said:
IMG_20210116_152001 (Medium).jpg

don't use a bicycle hub. get a surron or LMX rear hub. here i'm using a moto hub but i drilled and tapped it to accept bicycle rotor

Do you know where I can find details about sur ron hubs? I prefer them over the lmx hubs because they're a third of the price.

BDamari said:
Overclocker said:

don't use a bicycle hub. get a surron or LMX rear hub. here i'm using a moto hub but i drilled and tapped it to accept bicycle rotor

Do you know where I can find details about sur ron hubs? I prefer them over the lmx hubs because they're a third of the price.

what details? btw there's a catch if you pick the surron hub. it doesn't use the standard 6bolt rotor pattern. can't use standard rotors, have to use surron rotors

Overclocker said:
BDamari said:
Overclocker said:

what details? btw there's a catch if you pick the surron hub. it doesn't use the standard 6bolt rotor pattern. can't use standard rotors, have to use surron rotors
That might be a problem, I'm planning to use bicycle rotors. Can you recommend me a hub or tell me where to look for one? It's probably going to be for a vector vortex frame.

20181025-1224495.jpg

from vector website

seems to be an off-the-shelf moto hub. ask them directly what it is. if you're getting the vortex frame you probably can't use surron/lmx hub w/ it

btw the vortex is ugly AF. all straight tubes like they don't have a tube bender :lol: hubmotor in swingarm retards swingarm movement

Overclocker said:
20181025-1224495.jpg

from vector website

seems to be an off-the-shelf moto hub. ask them directly what it is. if you're getting the vortex frame you probably can't use surron/lmx hub w/ it

btw the vortex is ugly AF. all straight tubes like they don't have a tube bender :lol: hubmotor in swingarm retards swingarm movement
That's as good as you're gonna get unless you're willing to go custom made (I can't get the sur-ron where I live, besides they're not very open-source), anyways it's way better than hub motor ebikes because the weight of the hub motor is much much closer to the pivot point of the swingarm, so even if it's not a "true mid drive" it's still much better COG than any rear hub drive.
If only qulbix sold mid drive framekits...

Lightning Rods EV on here does mid drive builds and sells some kits and parts.. maybe worth a look or contact.. not sure if they have the hubs, options etc listed on site..

Back