TSDZ2 doesn't assist after coasting

alexn

10 µW
Hi, this is my first post. I have installed a 500W 48V drive on a Talon3. Still on original 3.7 firmware. Many typical issues as I've read on many posts such as full battery showing on VCLD5 as a single bar with no assist, intermittent pulsing, assistance underwhelming. Remaking cable connections, ensuring battery was fully seated on holder, and the magnet was a good distance from sensor helped these issues, but...

All is going well, mostly, until I coast for a few seconds, maybe to slow for a few seconds to avoid a lorry on a narrow road for instance, then when I pedal again there's nothing. And it doesn't come back until I power off, stop, place my feed on ground, restart, then there's full assist again.

Any suggestions to avoid having to keep restarting?

I get a similar problem if I move the bike or step on the pedal when I first turn the bike on (wait until after screen stops showing everything before doing anything)

Yup, wait for about 10 seconds before putting any pressure on the peddles after powering up.

Having the rear magnet too close to the speedo can do some of the things you describe, as bizarre as it sounds. There should be a good 8 - 10mm gap between the speed sensor and the magnet. Try simply unplugging the sensor as the motor will run without it.

feet on the ground and waiting before moving on is something I've learned and stick with. So much mixed advice on the distance with some advising only a few mm. I've even tried running with two magnets and have even changed the sensor. I'll try opening the gap up again and see if this coasting issue goes away. Pedaling up a shallow gradient with good pressure on the pedals getting assist, a few seconds of coasting and the assist is gone. I've hardly slowed down. I'll try more gap. Thanks

I've tried opening the gap and sadly slowing the bike still stops the assist. However, I'm thinking it it may be my cut off brake rather than coasting.

A few attempts including coasting and braking at a junction that goes up hill left me with nothing.

Re-starting, then taking the turn listing for traffic coming up the hill with no brake and pedals turning meant I got up the slope.

As the gradient eased I tried the brake, power off as it should, but when I continued pedalling with no brake there was nothing.

Carrying on for a few minutes, nothing came back. Turning around, a few minutes later, I had some assistance agina.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

alexn said:
I've tried opening the gap and sadly slowing the bike still stops the assist. However, I'm thinking it it may be my cut off brake rather than coasting.

A few attempts including coasting and braking at a junction that goes up hill left me with nothing.

Re-starting, then taking the turn listing for traffic coming up the hill with no brake and pedals turning meant I got up the slope.

As the gradient eased I tried the brake, power off as it should, but when I continued pedalling with no brake there was nothing.

Carrying on for a few minutes, nothing came back. Turning around, a few minutes later, I had some assistance agina.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Try it with the cut off brake unplugged.

Sounds like another quality assurance win for Tongsheng! Yay!

Thanks Alfie, that is my next intention.

Weather, less daylight and plenty of "must dos" has been keeping away, but I can make a quick trial to confirm if it is brake or coasting.

This is a relatively cheap conversion, but I'm not going to pretend it's the highest quality engineering. Buying through Ebay meant the thought of a warranty never entered my head. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

alexn said:
Thanks Alfie, that is my next intention.

Weather, less daylight and plenty of "must dos" has been keeping away, but I can make a quick trial to confirm if it is brake or coasting.

This is a relatively cheap conversion, but I'm not going to pretend it's the highest quality engineering. Buying through Ebay meant the thought of a warranty never entered my head. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

You’ll get it sorted :wink: I’ve got a few niggles with mine and like you say, this weather doesn’t make you want to go out and ride around for long.

So, not a coasting issue. the brake switch cuts the power as it should, but keeps it cut to 20 seconds plus.

using one cable brake and one hydraulic. I'll be fitting the hydraulic magnet switch shortly.

Cheers :bigthumb:

alexn said:
So, not a coasting issue. the brake switch cuts the power as it should, but keeps it cut to 20 seconds plus.

using one cable brake and one hydraulic. I'll be fitting the hydraulic magnet switch shortly.

Cheers :bigthumb:

I would be tempted to just get rid of the brake switches altogether. I don’t have them on mine and not had any problems.

Alfie, You were tempted to remove them. I am tempted, to not replace them.

I have a hydraulic version, maybe I leave it in the package for a while.

I understand it's a protection to be sure I'm not breaking hard, and still have load on a pedal i.e. asking the motor to drive against a brake and maybe loose some teeth.

So, running a risk. I'll think on it.

Cheers

I have hit 30mph a few times recently and braked down hard. Not had any problems with the motor overrunning.

Back