Is there any advantage to 72v?

amwildman

1 µW
Im ready to start building my battery pack. Bike is a basic hybrid bike ( road bike with some mountain bike traits). No shocks front or back. Motor is GNG cyclone clone with their included controller (cheap). I only intend to go maybe 15-20 mph, but would like a little reserve power. I dont want to be running at max all the time. Mainly leisure riding around town, slight hills.

Is there any advantage at all in running a 72v battery? Would i be better off sticking to 48/52 and putting the extra cells in parallel?

Higher V is always better

not just for higher speed

but getting high torque when needed at lower amps.

Swapping out the controller is much easier / more likely than changing the battery voltage.

But then if the simulator shows even 36V is enough for your desired top speed

you could build two sub-packs and actually A/B test it for yourself

amwildman said:
Im ready to start building my battery pack. Bike is a basic hybrid bike ( road bike with some mountain bike traits). No shocks front or back. Motor is GNG cyclone clone with their included controller (cheap). I only intend to go maybe 15-20 mph, but would like a little reserve power. I dont want to be running at max all the time. Mainly leisure riding around town, slight hills.

Is there any advantage at all in running a 72v battery? Would i be better off sticking to 48/52 and putting the extra cells in parallel?

48 volts is plenty for your needs. Also cheaper.

john61ct said:
Higher V is always better
All else being equal, but there are a fixed total number of cells in this case, so higher voltage = lower current.

OP, most properly you'd model your entire system to answer quantitatively, but your requirements are modest enough that a safer, cheaper, widely-available <60V max pack would be desirable.

Back