Bafang M620/G510 (and all other Bafang motors) now on CAN-BUS (2021+) rather than UART (2018-2020)?

Hi,

I just ordered a Bafang Ultra (aka M620 aka G510) and was surprised when Bafang specified on the invoice that the display would be a CAN-BUS version as opposed to being a UART version. They confirmed this morning to me that they have changed the manufacturing and that they are NOT producing UART M620 anymore. I wanted to fit a 52V battery on it but I am therefore not sure if the motor will still accept 52V batteries (as the 2018-2020 version of the motor used to) and if it will be tunable anymore.

Would any of you put their hands on a new version of the M620 with a controller using CAN-BUS protocol rather than UART protocol?
Is the capacitor still rated 63V?

Also learnt (comparing Bafang 2019 vs 2021 catalogue, and confirmed by Bafang themselves) that now all motors and display are on CAN-BUS (before it was a mix of UART and CAN-BUS), so this is not an issue that only affects the M620 but the entire range of motors. I think that means that not only the USB connector to tune the motors won't work anymore (as different green connector) but also seems to suggest that it will become much hader (impossible?) to tune the motors without the Bafang dedicated device and software.

Thanks much for your thoughts.

gvanrenterghem said:
Hi,

I just ordered a Bafang Ultra (aka M620 aka G510) and was surprised when Bafang specified on the invoice that the display would be a CAN-BUS version as opposed to being a UART version. They confirmed this morning to me that they have changed the manufacturing and that they are NOT producing UART M620 anymore. I wanted to fit a 52V battery on it but I am therefore not sure if the motor will still accept 52V batteries (as the 2018-2020 version of the motor used to) and if it will be tunable anymore.

Would any of you put their hands on a new version of the M620 with a controller using CAN-BUS protocol rather than UART protocol?
Is the capacitor still rated 63V?

Also learnt (comparing Bafang 2019 vs 2021 catalogue, and confirmed by Bafang themselves) that now all motors and display are on CAN-BUS (before it was a mix of UART and CAN-BUS), so this is not an issue that only affects the M620 but the entire range of motors. I think that means that not only the USB connector to tune the motors won't work anymore (as different green connector) but also seems to suggest that it will become much hader (impossible?) to tune the motors without the Bafang dedicated device and software.

Thanks much for your thoughts.

Hi,
I got some experience on the M600 motor with CAN protocol.

To change settings and make updates, you need the Bafang BESST software and interface with a Bafang account.

There is a possibility to bypass the account by unlocking all settings.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=100777&start=425

The settings that can be made are those provided by the firmware, so it depends on Bafang.

To change settings, it is possible to use the CAN interface but you need to know the messages to be sent.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=100777&start=400

I've just bought a m620 was hoping to use eggrider for road/off-road options.

Is there a way to tell what system I have?.

mxer said:

Sorry for the delay.
- If you have a display cable that is green and round, then you are on UART system and the eggrider will work
- If your display connector looks like a house drawn by a kid, then your system is CAN-BUS and the eggrider won't work for now

That said, since Bafang changed all its motors from UART to CAN-BUS in 2021 (before it was a mix of CAN-BUS and UART), you can bet that eggrider will soon develop a CAN-Bus version of the display otherwise their sales we drop to 0 pretty soon (since the stock of UART engines will dry out in less than 1 year).

What's the main draw of eggrider?..

I have all the settings I need on the prog cable?..set it up and left alone. Can't think why I'd need it?.. but I'm sure I can be convinced if there are cool benefits?...

I do have two batteries for my ultra one being 48v and one being 52v so could come in handy adjusting lvc on the fly???

mxer said:

Hi i have just bought this Banfang M620 system and and an eggrder ....as below :

I am alittle new to this setup , So is the eggrider compatible with this Banfang M620 setup i have purchased ?

thanks in advance ,

tony

Attachments

• tap.PNG
    tap.PNG
    90.7 KB · Views: 11,769
Hi, if your bafang comes with a wiring systen which has the display port as a round green connector, the eggrider will work as this means your Bafang is a 2020 model running UART protocol. If your Bafang wiring system comes with a green pyramidal connector as screen connector, then eggrider won't work as your Bafang is running the CAN Bus system.

Just be aware that most sellers on aliexpress:
1) have no clue what version they are selling
2) do not necessarily update the picture of what they sell (on your picture, the display connector is clearly a UART connector
3) although Bafang shows a totally black/silver cover on their M620, I received one with a cover with the orange Bafang logo, yet this is a CAN-Bus version, produced in April 2021 so clearly the left side cover has no real meaning.

Quite pricey at EUR 429 for just the controller LOL.... Unless you absolutely need more power, just waiting for a hack of the CAN-BUS system and buy a cheap EUR 10-20 USB cable to adjust the parameter of the existing controller seems like a more interesting option to me.

By the way, now that we are approaching 6 months of the new G510 being CAN-Bus only, have anyone seen a software allowing to program this motor (and I am not talking about the BESST system)? Even if a already made USB to CAn-Bus cable is not available, it should be pretty straightforward to make one as DIY project.

gvanrenterghem said:
it should be pretty straightforward to make one as DIY project.
I've already programmed some commands of the BAFANG CAN communication with a cheap blue pill board + CAN transceiver module. So you can get the necessary hardware for less than 5$. The relevant commands for the system settings should be easy to add. :)
https://github.com/stancecoke/BionX_Minimal_Translator/tree/Sniffer_for_Bafang

Not a problem but more work is the development of a graphical user interface for Windows or an Android bluetooth app :)

regards
stancecoke

BluePill+CANTransceiver.JPG

stancecoke said:
gvanrenterghem said:
it should be pretty straightforward to make one as DIY project.
I've already programmed some commands of the BAFANG CAN communication with a cheap blue pill board + CAN transceiver module. So you can get the necessary hardware for less than 5$. The relevant commands for the system settings should be easy to add. :)
https://github.com/stancecoke/BionX_Minimal_Translator/tree/Sniffer_for_Bafang

Not a problem but more work is the development of a graphical user interface for Windows or an Android bluetooth app :)

regards
stancecoke

BluePill+CANTransceiver.JPG
You can buy a USB CAN device in EBay or AliExpress for 15 euros and then use the "cantools" software on Linux, were you can easily read, write or log can packages.

Also there are graphic utils for Linux to reverse engineer can packages data, just search "linux canbus reverse engineer".
Also search for "raspberry pi canbus" and you will find a lot of resources on hardware + software.

Silly (naive?) question guys but since I understand that even with the BEEST tool, only a few parameters can be changed on the M600, would it be fair to assume that the controller of the M620 is locked? Or would the can scanning tool (does it also exist on Windows rather than Linux) read and write everything?

I have a similar situation on my 2021 Bikonit Ebike with Bafang G510 Ultra mid drive motor, controller and DZp C18C1.0 display, which is obviously a CAN BUS programming protocol. The speed limit is locked at 19.8 MPH, and I want to be able to unlock the speed limit for off-road, which is what the bike was designed for. Has anyone by now found the USB connector cable with the updated pyramid shaped connector from display to controller. Also, has anyone located the software programming to get into the CAN BUS program to unlock the speed limit. Does anyone know if the locked out speed limit is in the Bafang controller or the Bafang display? I have just got to unlock the speed as 19 MPH is waaaay too slow…….

Hi rac,

Weird as when I received my M620 Directly from Bafang they had predefined my wheel size (26inches) and have locked my motor to 50Km/h which I cannot change. Before, on the UART version, I think you were able to change your speed limit directly from the display, but on mine (and I guess yours) the speed limit and wheel size are greyed out. If your wheel size is not greyed out, the reduce the wheel size from the display, your speed will be totally wrong, but you will go faster.

Otherwise I have seen nowhere an updated version of the software to read, let alone write, CAN-BUS protocols. The wiring thing is a minimal issue which you can make from home, so the real bottleneck is to have someone able to retroengineer the CAN-BUS protocol used by Bafang. Hopefully won't be too long

G

Thank you for your reply. On my display, both the wheel size (26”) and speed limit are both locked….mine locked at a much lower speed than yours (31.8 km/hr)…..let’s both keep our eyes and ears open and if we find someone that does work out the reprogramming for this Bafang controller to let the other know…….I agree that it shouldn’t take too long…….there are people who are capable of doing it and love doing it…..

I’m assuming you also have a 5 pin arrow type connector from your display to controller unlike last years round 5 pin connector?

Yes indeed, I have the pyramidal type which is the CaN bus version and Bafang has changed all its controllers to that type in 2021. :evil:

A LOT of people waiting for this CAN BUS programming. I agree it's going to happen, it's just a question of when. My hat is off to those working on it.....

Hello, do somebody have BESST screenshots for the G510 CAN controller ?

It's just to understand what parameters are available when you fully unlock the BESST capability, with factory password level.

I read on Emtbforums that we can get READ / WRITE pages (maybe only for G510 ?) like the classic Debug Tool for UART G510, when BESST fully unlocked.
Hope I understood right.

I believe that M600 and G510 are completely different motors, and maybe BESST pages can change completely, depending by the connected motor kind.

So, I seen until now some M600 screenshots, but no G510 screenshots.
Just curious, to figure out this (dramatic) future situation for G510

Thank you / Regards

AHicks said:
A LOT of people waiting for this CAN BUS programming. I agree it's going to happen, it's just a question of when. My hat is off to those working on it.....

Yes, thank you for this forum thread, same scenario here, 2021 Bikonit, Bafang Ultra mid, throttled at 20mph. What a disappointment it was to get my bafang programming cable only to realize it won't plug in to a can bus interface :? .......(un)patiently waiting for the can bus fix. I do not have electrical engineering experience but I am assuming buying the can bus extension cable and spicing it with the round end on one side and the pentagon end on the other, then using the existing bafang programming cable would not be a suitable work around since we are talking about 2 different types of machine coding, no? Sorry had to ask for clarity sake.

Butchyg73 said:
AHicks said:

Yes, thank you for this forum thread, same scenario here, 2021 Bikonit, Bafang Ultra mid, throttled at 20mph. What a disappointment it was to get my bafang programming cable only to realize it won't plug in to a can bus interface :? .......(un)patiently waiting for the can bus fix. I do not have electrical engineering experience but I am assuming buying the can bus extension cable and spicing it with the round end on one side and the pentagon end on the other, then using the existing bafang programming cable would not be a suitable work around since we are talking about 2 different types of machine coding, no? Sorry had to ask for clarity sake.

Thinking that most will agree that pretty much sums the CANBUS issue up.

Butchyg73 said:
AHicks said:

Same boat, I just picked up a Bikonit 750md and finding this CAN bus instead of UART.....really looking forward to the development of the CAN bus software!

Hey guys i know this is an old thread but i just designed some frames for the m620 and did not see this weird software change. None of you mentions going into advanced settings on the display and entering the 1919 code to unlock full power and higher speed. Did any of you know about this?

Back