Tsdz2 vlcd5 display showing E06 error, help pls!

yonipacheko

10 mW
Hi ppl!
This is basically what happened:

I've. a TSDZ2 36V coaster brake edition on my Nihola bike. I have no throttle.

Couple of major issues - notes:

I was operating mostly in speed mode.

1) This happened one time but when I was pedaling, all of a sudden, the motor took over and overpowered me. My foot fell off the pedals and the motor kept running! very scary 😳 :confused: :confused: . I had to try to get my foot back on the pedal and stop the motor. I turned off the motor too.

So what happened?!?

2) The speed limit setting in the VLCD5 is set to off, that doesn't mean that I ride too fast, I'm still biking around 23-25 km/h

3) There were many times where I got E06 error code during this evening. It went away once when I restarted it a few times. It did work once when I unpluggled the cable from the battery.

A updated note:

I maybe need to tell the background and it might make sense. For not long time ago, I fried the display when I hooked up the connectors in reversed polarity, (https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=110189&p=1620260#p1620260). I thought that the controller was also fried, but lucky me it was just the display vcld 5. However the behaviour of the motor has been funny after this accident.

How to get rid of this E06 error code? 😔

display.JPG

Even though you have no throttle, this might still apply: When a throttle's ground wire breaks, it gives full output to the controller, so the controller thinks full throttle is being applied by the rider, and runaway power is applied.

If your torque sensor's ground wire broke, I wonder if it's output would also go to full, resulting in the same runaway power. .

amberwolf said:
If your torque sensor's ground wire broke, I wonder if it's output would also go to full, resulting in the same runaway power. .

Thank you for fast replying!
I maybe need to tell the background and it might make sense. For not long time ago, I fried the display when I hooked up the connectors in reversed polarity. I thought that the controller was also fried, but lucky me it was just the display vcld 5. However the behaviour of the motor has been funny after this accident.

My question to you or anybody else here: is it possible that the controller is still half damaged inside?
Where is located the "ground wire" u mentioned inside the controller?

Thanks for reaching out! Appreciate it! :bigthumb:

yonipacheko said:
Hi ppl!

1) This happened one time but when I was pedaling, all of a sudden, the motor took over and overpowered me. My foot fell off the pedals and the motor kept running! very scary 😳 :confused: :confused: . I had to try to get my foot back on the pedal and stop the motor. I turned off the motor too.

So what happened?!?

2) The speed limit setting in the VLCD5 is set to off, that doesn't mean that I ride too fast, I'm still biking around 23-25 km/h

3) There were many times where I got E06 error code during this evening. It went away once when I restarted it a few times. It did work once when I unpluggled the cable from the battery.

A updated note:

I maybe need to tell the background and it might make sense. For not long time ago, I fried the display when I hooked up the connectors in reversed polarity, (https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=110189&p=1620260#p1620260). I thought that the controller was also fried, but lucky me it was just the display vcld 5. However the behaviour of the motor has been funny after this accident.

display.JPG
Seem like there's two issues, may or may not be connected. What were you doing when the error code came up (example: climbing a hill, etc.)?

E-HP said:
yonipacheko said:
Hi ppl!

So what happened?!?

A updated note:

display.JPG
What were you doing when the error code came up (example: climbing a hill, etc.)?

Not at all, flat normal street.
Wondering if it’s the speed sensor that it’s broken?

Last update:

The display doesn’t light up anymore? Can we say that the controller is kaput (damaged)? :confused:

Check for loose connections. Have you recently unplugged and plugged back the display cable? (maybe a pin has been pushed to the side meaning the plug is in but the connections inside is not. Real life story. This has happend. Fixed by bending the tiny pin back and pluggs connected again)

Error E06 or error code number 6 means that you have installed the chain to tight or that when you start the bike. As the motor is sensing torque. If you put down your foot before you started your "bike" it will give this error as well.

leffex said:
Check for loose connections. Have you recently unplugged and plugged back the display cable? (maybe a pin has been pushed to the side meaning the plug is in but the connections inside is not. Real life story. This has happend. Fixed by bending the tiny pin back and pluggs connected again)

Error E06 or error code number 6 means that you have installed the chain to tight or that when you start the bike. As the motor is sensing torque. If you put down your foot before you started your "bike" it will give this error as well.

Good to know about this when the chain is too tight. However this is not happening right now I can't even start on the display, completely dead and is brand new. I used to get the E06 error, now the display is dead...just like that. If the display is not lighting up, it means that the controller is dead or damaged...I guess

amberwolf said:
Even though you have no throttle, this might still apply: When a throttle's ground wire breaks, it gives full output to the controller, so the controller thinks full throttle is being applied by the rider, and runaway power is applied.

Ok! I ordered a new controller and I changed the whole thing now.
I set up the whole system together, meaning: connecting battery, motor and display on my working-table, just to make sure that electricity was flowing through, but the display didn't turn on? :shock: :?: :?: WHT?

Question: Is it possible that when I was "playing" with it, (the old controller), showing error and then suddenly turning off, that the display got fried again, It was obvious that the old controller was behaving funny, as I described in my first post, but I've difficult to believe this though, but maybe the displays are very sensitive to disturbances...who knows

This is so frustrating and anticlimax, I should have bought a main-stream setup with professional support. :cry: :cry:
I need this motor so badly...

yonipacheko said:
Unlikely, but: Is it the same controller version and brand/model? If not, perhaps the firmware is different and the "handshake" between the two is incompatible?

Normally this only causes the display to not display any valid data, but it would still turn on.

Typically, if a display will not turn on at all, it also will not turn the controller on, as it doesn't engage the little "keyswitch FET" that connects the battery power to the keyswitch wire that sends battery power to the controller's low-voltage powersupply for it's brain/etc.

Alternately, the new controller's cabling may be miswired, or has a bad connection or broken wire or contact pin, so that the battery power is not sent to the display, so it cannot power on.

Does the controller itself appear to "work", meaning, does it power on and do anything you expect it to? Or is that impossible without the display?

amberwolf said:
yonipacheko said:

Normally this only causes the display to not display any valid data, but it would still turn on.

Alternately, the new controller's cabling may be miswired, or has a bad connection or broken wire or contact pin, so that the battery power is not sent to the display, so it cannot power on.

Does the controller itself appear to "work", meaning, does it power on and do anything you expect it to? Or is that impossible without the display?

I found something interesting, I took the old display, the one that I thought I fried in the first place, I plugged in and it did work :), first shows like everything is right and some seconds after shows though an error code like the new used to do, (but not anymore), se the picture. Could it be that it's showing error because the motor doesn't feel the chain on?. The controller is brand-new so?

Now, talking about the new display, maybe is the cable, I have or something else?

Attachments

• old_display.JPG
    old_display.JPG
    581.2 KB · Views: 1,065
leffex said:

Hi there! have u seen my last picture? thanks!

Waynemarlow said:
But is the speed sensor known to be good ?

Well, is this a speed-sensor? I've 2 and of those is brand-new...

Attachments

• speed_sensor.JPG
    speed_sensor.JPG
    759.5 KB · Views: 1,007
Back