Cyclone motor and full suspension - Where to mount?

acwhitney

1 mW
I ask this in regards to my enduro ebike frame. It is important to note that the swing arm moves on a different axis than the bottom bracket. The center of the BB is about 3 inches from the swingarm axis.

Currently the motor is located in the battery bay of the frame. Its mounted to thick steel plate that connects the frame to the rear shock. A solid base with no movement of the motor at all. My worry is that perhaps the motor should be connected to the swing arm instead. Here's my thought process...

With the motor in this position, the distance between the motor and bottom bracket will be changing as the suspension is activated. I am hoping the chain tensioner will solve any issue.

So would it be better to have a motor mount that connects to the swingarm instead?

acwhitney,

A picture would help considerably but the motor mounted on the swing arm would slow your suspension response. The idea is to keep some rear tire contact following the land contour. So minimize the swingarm weight (rotational inertia) and the suspension will work better.

Please add a picture(s) as then I can be more specific.

Most rear suspension setups do not keep the instanteanious center of rotation of the swingarm on the bottom bracket axle, so you will almost always have chain slack or tightening at some zones of the swingarm rotation. But this slack is manageable with a chain tensioner, idlers and delrin chain races.

"enduro ebike frame" is usually code for a china made vector clone..
with a URT, unified rear triangle suspension design.. where bottom bracket and cranks are on the swingarm and the single pivot just forward of cranks..
with this rear suspension design a mid motor mounted to the mainframe would likely pull on the swingarm influencing suspension action under motor power..
where as mounting the mid motor on the swingarm of a URT will also influence suspension.. but from weight, not from power/ chain pull..

Back