Limiting maximum power of BBSHD?

kiltedcelt

100 W
Random question - on my recumbent tandem trike build I don't think *needing* the e-assist will be so much a necessity as something we use to help extend range. I originally bought the BBSHD because most people I asked said it was better at handling heat and could output torque better for use with cargo bikes (my original use-case for the motor). Now that it's going on a tandem equipped with a Rohloff hub for drivetrain, I was thinking - is there a way to limit overall power output of the BBSHD, both from the standpoint of limiting potential damage to the Rohloff, but also maybe also allowing the riders to make better use of the Rohloff's gears since the e-assist could be set to a more minimal power output level? Maybe I'm overthinking it and the solution is just to use the e-assist only in the lowest settings? I forget which display I have but it's the large full color Bafang one and it's currently programmed with 9 assist levels, and I have a 52v battery.

The BBSHD can definitely be "toned down" with a very mild programming tune to the three tabs. You mentioned programming the display, but of course the real programming at the controller with a programming cable...which you may already know. There are some very good tutorials on the process along with suggested programming values you can enter depending on your application. With the 9 level display, a lot of people just incrementally go up from 1 to 9 with ever increasing assistance from the motor. You can make these motors put out very minimal assistance and even tame the throttle a good bit. You can also decrease the overall current limit on the basic tab.

Thanks, for the info. I thought it might be a simple thing to do within the display menus, but now that you mention it, I have read a couple threads about using the programming cable connected to a computer to modify settings. I'll have to look at those threads a bit more in-depth to see how to go about de-tuning the BBSHD. I think I'm actually wanting to do something few people are interested in. Seems like most people want maximum torque/power/speed/whatever out of their motors versus modest assist. I have a throttle for the BBSHD, but the only times I ever used it was to help with a bit more power output when pulling away from a stop in traffic. I suspect doing that is where more power than I want could be dumped into the Rohloff and could be potentially bad.

Back