Tongsheng TSDZ2 pinion gear cover friction

sysrq

1 kW
Few people have reported wear on pinion gear cover caused by chain ring.
This time it has worn away up to the point of crack formation.
I have been advised to replace the whole cover, but eventually it will lead to same outcome though.
Another solution is to apply some JB weld for plastics.
On the other hand getting away with some silicone adhesive on the other side would be safer just in case something falls off and gets in to the gears compared to epoxy.

Attachments

• 20210620_022522.jpg
    20210620_022522.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 734
You have to fix the root of the problem first - and that is the infamous "wobbliness" issue on TSDZ2.
Buy some quality bearings and follow the instructions on this forum.
And do it before it destroy your torque sensor coils.

Nick2 said:
You have to fix the root of the problem first - and that is the infamous "wobbliness" issue on TSDZ2.
Buy some quality bearings and follow the instructions on this forum.
And do it before it destroy your torque sensor coils.

Can bad chainline also contribute to the problem since the chainring gets pulled to the one side despite the fact that the sprag clutch gets stiffer under load? This manifests itself in the form of groaning noise when using granny gears.
I don't thing it's possible to fix the problem without adding some thurst bearings.
I had no other choice but to ad 0.6mm spacer on the chainring and make an aluminium cap from an electrolytic capacitor enclosure glued on by a silicone.

Attachments

• 20210712_194241.jpg
    20210712_194241.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 569
Are you running an aftermarket chain ring? I tried one of those fancy Solid Bike recessed chainrings supposedly designed for this but that caused a rub like you show. No problem at all with the OEM TSDZ2 ring.

raylo32 said:
Are you running an aftermarket chain ring? I tried one of those fancy Solid Bike recessed chainrings supposedly designed for this but that caused a rub like you show. No problem at all with the OEM TSDZ2 ring.

Do you mean this one?

https://www.eco-ebike.com/products/42t-chain-ring-for-tsdz2-narrow-wide-10mm-offset-110-bcd-solid-e-bike

I was thinking this would solve the rubbing problem, but since there were no close up pictures of it mounted on the motor then it was too risky to buy. With 10mm offset it seems like the chain would rub against the plastic cable entry cover. One user reported needing to switch to an 11 speed chain to resolve this.
Since I'm currently stuck with 16 speed half-step gearing and 8 speed chain which is reported to be stronger by some then I have no choice but to stick with less than ideal chainline on granny gears and straight chainline on small sprockets resulting in better overall theoretical transmission efficiency.
Also can't seem to find any 11 speed cassette with sufficient range and small gear increments at the same time since in general there are either racing cassettes in 11-25t range or mtb cassettes with wide gaps.

Yes, exactly. It pushes the chain *very* close to the case. The bike I am running the TSDZ2 on is also 8 speed rear. The rub was very slight and probably would resolve itself after a few dozen miles by wearing the case away. A narrower 9, 10 or 11 speed chain might be OK without rubbing.

sysrq said:
raylo32 said:

Do you mean this one?

https://www.eco-ebike.com/products/42t-chain-ring-for-tsdz2-narrow-wide-10mm-offset-110-bcd-solid-e-bike

I was thinking this would solve the rubbing problem, but since there were no close up pictures of it mounted on the motor then it was too risky to buy. With 10mm offset it seems like the chain would rub against the plastic cable entry cover. One user reported needing to switch to an 11 speed chain to resolve this.
Since I'm currently stuck with 16 speed half-step gearing and 8 speed chain which is reported to be stronger by some then I have no choice but to stick with less than ideal chainline on granny gears and straight chainline on small sprockets resulting in better overall theoretical transmission efficiency.
Also can't seem to find any 11 speed cassette with sufficient range and small gear increments at the same time since in general there are either racing cassettes in 11-25t range or mtb cassettes with wide gaps.

raylo32 said:
Yes, exactly. It pushes the chain *very* close to the case. The bike I am running the TSDZ2 on is also 8 speed rear. The rub was very slight and probably would resolve itself after a few dozen miles by wearing the case away. A narrower 9, 10 or 11 speed chain might be OK without rubbing.

sysrq said:
raylo32 said:

Do you mean this one?

Sounds better then, although replacing the cable entry cover with a thinner one shouldn't be a problem.
The only thing is if I use the 10mm offset chainring then it might be impossible to achieve proper gap between the chainrings. The original 42t 5mm one happens to work with 8 speed chain and 45t zero offset outer chainring.

Back