TSDZ2 Controller: over-volting tolerance?

PeteCress

1 kW
Paoli (near Philadelphia) Pennsylvania USA
I stupidly ordered a 52v battery instead of the rated 48v to go with a TSDZ2.

Given that:
  • A 52v battery at 80% puts out 55.4 volts
  • A 48v battery at 100% puts out 54.6 volts.
  • I would be charging the 52v battery to only 80%
What are my chances of getting away with using the 52v battery at 80%?

Also, given that a 52v battery puts out 54.6 volts at 75% - which is the same as a 48v battery at 100% - would I be perfectly safe using the 52v battery charged to only 75% ?

If you are comfortable with flashing the open source software you can run 52 V just fine fully charged. If you aren't comfortable you can also buy a pre-flash controller and display from Eco E bike or electrify Here in the US if that's where you are. Otherwise you would be fine. Quick and dirty fix would be to just buy a 48 V charger. The only downside is that it wouldn't balance pack so every so often you would want to fully charge it and find a way to discharge

PeteCress said:
I stupidly ordered a 52v battery instead of the rated 48v to go with a TSDZ2.
What are my chances of getting away with using the 52v battery at 80%?
The electronic contoller components are specified for 63V, so you can go to about 60V
48V Stock FW does work with about 55V, so you must drain a fully charged 52V battery.
Another possibility is to flash modified stock 52V FW or imho much better ..........

Flash OSF for stock displays and you don't have a single problem and use the full capacity of the 52V battery.

edit:
The most easy solution from Manbeer is indeed to use a 48V charger for your 52V battery. In that case you always are sure the battery is charged with the right Voltage.

Elinx said:
The most easy solution from Manbeer is indeed to use a 48V charger for your 52V battery. In that case you always are sure the battery is charged with the right Voltage.

My gripe with that is that some BMSs will not balance charge at that low of voltage (3.9V per cell or 14S @ 54.6V). Most do it at 4.2V per cell, some at 4.1V per cell and any lower is usually done with a programmable BMS.

pwd said:
My gripe with that is that some BMSs will not balance charge at that low of voltage....
It is all about choices. This solution is the most easy, but certainly not the best.
On regular base you have to balance the battery with a 52V charger and drain it before use it.
And even than it depends of the quality of cells if this is possible without drawback

imho the best solution is flash OSF for stock displays.

PeteCress said:
But isn't the controller hardware still designed for only 48v?

The physical limit is the components rating, which is 63V, so about 60v in real life. The same controller is used for both the 36v and 48v setups.

I’m running a 52v battery with a 48v motor no problems at all. Just need a firmware that allows for that, as all the limits etc are software based.

PeteCress said:
But isn't the controller hardware still designed for only 48v?
No, there is just one controller for all tsdz2 types. (besides an old and a new version)
For all these motortypes they use just two different bare DC motors, 36V or 48V -4000rpm
Only the controller software is programmed with limits.

With Open Source Firmware (OSF) it is possible to setup these limits yourself and can choose the Voltage- and Powerlimit you want.
There is no problem to run a 36V with 48V or even 52V if you limit the max. current through the motor windings so that you not overpower it.
For stock display you only need a cheap few dollar ST-V2 link and setup the limits with a graphical interface before flashing the controller.
With the same ST-V2 link it is also possibe to flash modified stock firmware with a higher Voltage limit, but realise that the current limit is the same as before, so it is possible to run the motor with higher power an produce more heat.

So imho you have four choices:
-Charge with 52V charger and drain battery to 55V
-Charge battery with 48V charger (and on regular base with 52V)
-Flash stock firmware with higher Voltage limit
-Flash OSF where you can setup your own limits (Voltage-Current-Power-Assist)

Back