Wet Conditions BBSHD Strategies?

geosped

100 W
Who out there is nervous about riding their BBSHD bikes in the Rain? For the commuters what have you done to make your e-bikes "water resistant"? What is everyone doing to protect your electronics? I do the following and just curious if anyone else does this and or what else are you doing?

• I use liquid electrical tape on the bottom of the motor where all the wires come out of the motor. I just gobbed a bunch around the seal of the existing grommet.
    I use Dialectic greases around all the connectors. That's about it. What other things are you guys doing.

I typically wont go out if it's recently rained or extremely wet. But I have been caught in several rain storms lately also I've gone on some new trails that have some very low level creek crossings. Like large flat rocks over the creek but the underside does get wet. Since it was pouring out and I was just trying to get back to the car I rode over the creek then said oh sh&@ should have probabbly carried it over. Am I being way paranoid?

I'm not too worried about the motor, it seems pretty tight; I have no problem washing it with a [low pressure] hose. I would not want to submerge it though. I've put a dab of RTV silicone around the cable connections and wrapped them in electrical tape so they are relatively water tight. The battery connection is inside the box so that's unlikely to get wet unless there's a downpour or submersion. My main concern (and only one really) is the display - that's very exposed and I doubt weather resistance was paramount in the design process. Overall I'm not too worried about wetting the electric stuff but CO is basically a desert.

I typically put a rag over my egg beater when I go to wash the bike down. I also use low pressure. I did notice on the throttle they use some sort of conformal coating on the small pcb board and some electrical liquid tape stuff around where the wire goes in. I wasn't expecting to see that.

I’m from Arizona where rain is seldom a problem but this summer I’ve traveled across the country with my bike on the front bumper of my truck. I’ve gone through some brutal downpours at 65 mph each time sure that my bike would never work again. So far there never been a problem with the BBS02 from Luna Cycle. I haven’t made any modifications or added sealant of any kind. I hesitate making that statement but the setup has worked perfectly so far.

On my build I used dielectric grease in the connectors and then wrapped them in self fusing silicone tape. I wrapped the wires coming out of the motor with that tape too. My display is an Eggrider so the only thing I do is wrap the throttle with a baggie if it rains.

I ride in snow and heavY mud for 6 years now. I have to wash bike 100x per year with garden hose. All i did is silicone + rubber battery motor connector. No problems with original bafang display or anything else. Dont complicate things.

ginekolog said:
I ride in snow and heavY mud for 6 years now. I have to wash bike 100x per year with garden hose. All i did is silicone + rubber battery motor connector. No problems with original bafang display or anything else. Dont complicate things.

Are you washing the display directly?

Back