Basic, non-tandem, Rohloff Hub: How many watts?

PeteCress

1 kW
Paoli (near Philadelphia) Pennsylvania USA
I have a Newton-Meters number, but don't know enough to relate it to watts - which I can control and view in realtime on my TSDZ2/OSF.

I figure that my personal output maxes at 200 watts and have my mid-drive limited to 300 - giving a worst-case scenario of 500 watts.

How many watts can I safely subject my Rohloff hub to?

Or does this question not make sense?

Really, it doesn't.

What will overload the hub is torque. It can be calculated if the cadence is known. Low kadence --> high torque if watts are Constant.

With that said, I would personally not worry about the rohloff at that power level unless you have geared the bike VERY low.
Hope that helps :)

Rohloff Speedhub's specified input torque limit is (if I remember correctly) 130Nm.

Your maximum pedal torque, plus TSDZ2 maximum torque, divided by the lowest gear ratio you have, is the most torque you can feed into the Rohloff.

The Rohloff will work fine with a TSDZ2. On a trike can't really gear it low enough to be at risk of snapping the shearpins.

On an upright the rider exerts much higher peak pedal pressure than a bent, while a bent rider has a larger angular moment of power input. The max force in torque of a TSDZ2 is less than 1/4 (at the hub with your best lowest gear) of what the Shear Pins were designed to give at.

The Rohloff can be a stubborn shifter with much tension on the chain. There are a few options for electric shifters that can send a signal to cut power on shift.

I'm running a TSZD on 15 amps at 48 Volt with a Rohloff. No problems so far with 5000 km on in since I installed it. I really like the combination and have had zero maintenance. I've protected the chain with a chain glider to keep sand away.
Front chain ring is 42 tooth. Rear 16 tooth.

Back