Compatibility of Bafang, Brose, Shimano and Yamaha mid-motors with 3rd party batteries ?

Jil

1 kW
Hi,
Do you which ones of these brands allow the use of other brands of batteries (or DIY batteries) with their motors ?
I know that for Bosch it's "no way", but what about the other ones ?

I have the feeling that Bafang system should be more open than Shimano and Brose. I'm talking about their M600-M800 etc. motors, not the BBSxx.
it seems also that Yamaha allows also third-party batteries (but all of them, including DIY, or only batteries from authorized partners ?) : https://ebike-mtb.com/en/new-yamaha-pw-x3-2022/

Perhaps I'm missing other (good) manufacturers of mid-motors ?

Just heard last night that you can use a 3rd party charger on a Bosche battery. Video was 2015 so things might have changed.

5V on third pin of battery, meaning you can use any charger.
https://youtu.be/IxB2j-egWcQ?t=1569

Otherwise your stuck with buying their expensive batteries and their expensive chargers and any other parts you require will be expensive. Another downside is you might have to wait for your parts to come in. I had a friend who bought a $3600 fat trike from Honda Powersports, waited 2+ months, from what I remember it wasnt anything I could have bought and got in a week or two with rushed shipping from China for a diy ebike.

Hopefully someone can figure out how to hack the proprietary mid drive motor to run a generic controller and battery and see what the limits are of the motor. The frames are sleek, battery shape will be the biggest custom job to fit in their stock compartment but you could make the battery taller for more wh.

Speed hack
http://ebikeee.com/2012/01/03/bosch-engine-tuning-at-home/

The Bafang M600 and M500 can be powered up with a simple home made battery up to 14SxP on the 48 volt units ( but limited to 58 volts ), the other lower voltage units can also be powered up with alternative batteries, but I'm not sure of what upper volts you can use.

You may want to check the other M600 thread.

I may be wrong, but every bike manufacturer listed actively designs their components to prevent DIYers substituting any components not made by them.

In order to have "open hardware" choices, and the ability to repair / replace components yourself rather than just paying an authorised shop

you need to use components from manufacturers that only make components, not from those you listed that make whole bicycles.

In jurisdictions favoring corporations over consumers, their lobbyists campaign to make it impossible or even illegal to fix their products except at certified repair centres, even to outlaw DIYing completely.

The "right to repair" movement is fighting such predatory anti-consumer monopolistic behaviour.

Bafang is I think the only maker on your list encouraging DIYers to buy their motors.

I believe they don't even export complete bicycles?

Thanks !

My question is related to researches I’m doing at the moment about the best design to manufacture in small serie (or bespoke) a durable and reparable ebike (with steel frame, for gravel/light MTB/bikepacking). Batteries would probably be Grin Ligo.
I’m not found of the BBS because I want a torque sensor and a motor fully integrated.

I'm looking for a light motor, able to deliver 250 watts continuous power in any conditions, cf. https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=113418

I’m going to check the M600 thread.
But I know that designing a steel frame for a specific mid-drive motor is the guarantee, whatever the motor’s brand, that the frame will not survive the motor availability.
And when I see whole new motor designs disclosed by these brands every 2 or 3 years, I guess that the availability of current designs will not be guaranteed for a long time… and that rear hub motor is my best bet.

M600 is way too powerful, the M500 that’s about to be released would seem spot on bar the speed restrictions, the TSDZ2 may be your answer, cheap, cheerful, widely available with torque recognition and will fit into a fairly conventional frame.

Back