TSDZ2 36v 250w vs 48v 750w riding experience

PeeWee

100 µW
Hi

I'm hoping someone may be able to help or explain to me?

About a year ago I converted my first bike, my old 1997 Raleigh Amazon MTB. I installed the TSDZ2 36v 250w motor to ensure it was road legal and I must say I have been very impressed with it so much so I want to convert another.
My next conversation is going to be used off road and I'm considering using the higher powered TSDZ2 48v 750w motor.

Reading the specification of the two motors they both seem to quote the same torque of 80 N.m, so I was wondering, what beneficial riding experience am I going to notice by installing the higher powered motor?

Thanks in advance

PeeWee

One difference is current draw from the battery. Assume you are on a steep climb and your motor is producing 720W. This means that it will draw 20A from the battery. The same motor power will only draw 15A from a 48V battery. The more current that is flowing, the more power that is lost due to the internal resistance of the cabling, battery cells, battery bms and motor controller. That power is converted into heat.

Other than that, the motors are pretty much mechanical identical. The 250W restriction is done in the motor controller by restricting the current. You can get a brass motor gearing that is more robust as the plastic ones tend to break under havy load.

Did you use the factory firmware in your first build or did you switch to one of the open source versions? If the answer is open source, you shouldn't expect much more power from the 750W one.

Thanks for your reply.

I'm using the standard factory out of the box firmware as I'm not brave enough to go open source just yet.
As I'm sticking to the factory firmware I should notice the difference in power when riding by going for the 750w motor, which is what I was hoping for.

On the subject of standard factory out of the box firmware I notice you can purchase nicer looking displays. Versions of the 500c and 850c displays come with 6pin plugs that can plug directly into the motor. Will these displays work with the factory firmware or only with open source?

Thanks for your help

PeeWee

PeeWee said:
... I notice you can purchase nicer looking displays. Versions of the 500c and 850c displays come with 6pin plugs that can plug directly into the motor. Will these displays work with the factory firmware or only with open source?....
Only if these display's are delivered and working with the stock Tsdz2 you can use them.
If you buy the display separately than it doesn't work, because of the different I/O protocol.
You need to flash firmware specific for Tsdz2.
Open source firmware is there for 860C and also for 850C, SW102 and KT-LCD3
You need to flash OSF on controller and display

Elinx said:
Only if these display's are delivered and working with the stock Tsdz2 you can use them.
If you buy the display separately than it doesn't work, because of the different I/O protocol.

I learn new things about how "awesome" TSDZ2 is all the time.

What a brilliantly "designed" and "engineered" system!

Back