TSDZ2: Is my use Light, Medium, or Heavy? Maintainence Schedule?

PeteCress

1 kW
Paoli (near Philadelphia) Pennsylvania USA
TSDZ2 mounted on a ICE Adventure HD tadpole trike running through a Rohloff 14-speed hub.

Trike + rider = 308#.

No throttle connected, PedElec only.

Used mainly to help on hills and against headwinds once I start to feel like I am "Grinding".

Typical range w/that use on a "52V 14AH... 40 amps output....over 700 watt hours... Samsung 35E high capacity 3500mah cells....INR (lithium nickel manganese) chemistry..." battery is 30-40 miles w/battery kept w/in 20-80% capacity.

Capped at 400 watts, but 95% of use is below 250 watts. More watts when I am in a situation where I need maximum speed for a short period.

Is this "Heavy", "Medium", or "Light" use"

I am trying to dope out a preventive maintenance schedule.

Right now, I am going with:
  • Re-grease main gears (but not the blue plastic gear) every 500 miles w/Mobile 28.
  • Pre-emptive replacement of blue plastic gear + grease same w/Mobil 2 every 1,000 miles.
  • (Pre-emptive Sprague Clutch replacement? I have no clue)

I would tripple those service intervals right off the bat unless you are really into taking the motor apart.

That is IMO very light duty and the TSDZ2 holds up OK unless it is used for mountainbiking afaik

(Pre-emptive Sprague Clutch replacement: I have no clue).
Which clutch are you thinking of ? There are two, and both have been known to fail unexpectedly !
The “sprague” reference is normally the bigger unit behind chainwheel..worthy of inspection and lube etc once a year, ..
...but there is also the tiny , but critical, roller clutch bearing inside the blue gear,...which also fails too often.
Normally , new blue gears come with the clutch bearing installed, but spare bearings are cheap and easy to replace individually.
In addition, i understand that the outer bearings in the chainwheel support area can sometimes work loose,...so again, worthy of inspection....
...and then there is the torque sensor failures to be aware of !!
Considering the low cost of these drives,...and depending on how critical your bike availability is, ( primary transport ?) ..then having a complete spare drive unit in the garage , may be sensible ?

Back