Sprockets not lining up

I am trying to install a non-hub motor to my cruiser bike. I am finding that the driving sprocket on the Motor and the sprocket I added to the rear hub as part of the installation are not in line and this is causing the chain to keep coming off even though its tight. How do I fix this alignment issue?

Thanks for replying. But how do I do it exactly? I tried all physically possible positioning of the motor to overcome the problem but even in the best position possible its not line up.

That is the problem, but thats all that needs to happen - Line up the pulley to the gear.

You could move the gear with spacers or a different gear with an offset.

whats the rear hub? if it's intended for many gears then its easy to adjust the position of the one gear on the cassette body and move the spacers around. if its a single speed hub youre still going to have to use spacers and at worst need another hub to get a decent chain line. post some pics

booboomonster said:
Thanks for replying. But how do I do it exactly? I tried all physically possible positioning of the motor to overcome the problem but even in the best position possible its not line up.

Yup, make sure the chain is straight and both sprockets are in line with each other. You can eyeball it by looking from the rear, it's fairly easy to see when they aren't aligned. That and remove most of the slack from the chain should do it.

booboomonster said:
I am trying to install a non-hub motor to my cruiser bike. I am finding that the driving sprocket on the Motor and the sprocket I added to the rear hub as part of the installation are not in line and this is causing the chain to keep coming off even though its tight. How do I fix this alignment issue?

Post some good clear pics of what you have, from different angles, whole setup and closeups of the drive unit and the hub/sprocket areas, and we might be able to suggest specific fixes rather than general procedures.

Unfortunately there are many possible frames, drive units, hubs, wheels, etc., and a fix for one doesn't for another and many aren't even possible with one that are with another. :(

Back