Land Speed Record EBike

Robster

100 µW
Howdy:
I'm in the process of building up a tiny land speed record vehicle and also mid to high speed efficiency runs.
It previously ran a Lynch motor mid-drive and I will be updating the entire drive train.
I am considering using a Surron motor, at least initially. I would like to program the controller to vary the output for different power requirements & efficiencies.
If anyone has any suggestions, particularly for motors, controllers and modifications, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

This vehicle is/was the record holder about 20 yrs ago. With 2 LA 12v car batteries it traveled 66 miles in 1 hour and hit about 107 mph at the Bonneville Speed Flats. Working within the original design I have certain constraints but with decent Li-ion batts and a modern motor I'm expecting about 7% improvement in the hour and I'm "hoping" it can hit 125mph in the flying mile.
I think there is potential to set some distance records. For instance, at 30 mph with 1 hp it uses just a few watts per mile.
I'll try to upload some pics soon.

[youtube][/youtube]Just for reference, my 10 year old bike would trap 112mph in the 1/4mile, and it was gearing limited by the 1/8th mile, because the gearing was setup for kart-track racing not top speed. Its a sprocket change away from going a LOT faster than 125mph.
[youtube]lnGvSEcldzQ[/youtube]
I would recommend you start your build around a Zero SR-F/S motor and controller if you want to set a reasonable top speed record. Pushing wind gets exponentially harder as I'm sure you know. :bigthumb:

I remember your video well and continue to be blown away by it.
I'm not sure what the cd of this is, somewhere south of of .11 with about the smallest frontal area possible. So the 1 hp on up categories make a lot of sense. So in my view, 1 hp or so is an EBike. I think the Lynch motor used could do 8KW but when they got much over 100, they starting freaking on the salt. Light front end, losing control are some of the dynamic issues that will need to be faced. It weighs 85 lbs without the motor & batts. So between cd, frontal area, weight and low rolling resistance, there really is a great opportunity to do some cool stuff.
Everything I mentioned above is applicable at sub 100 mph on asphalt. It could be that for higher speeds/power more weight or drag and beefier tires will be required.
I hadn't thought of Zero motors mostly I assumed they'd be too large, but maybe?

Attachments

• E-Racer profile.png
    E-Racer profile.png
    106.7 KB · Views: 639
  • ERacer top.JPG
    ERacer top.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 639
Does anyone have a line on decent savage Zero motors? I'm assuming I'd want the whole system motor/controller/batts.
But need to do some configuring as the battery boxes currently are structural and constrained.
Thanks!

Check your PMs my friend.

If you don't go with the Zero motor, you could look into Lightning Rods offerings. They have some powerful ipm motors & controller options.

https://lightning-rods10.mybigcommerce.com/xxl-motor/

Back