CYC X1 Pro 219H to bicycle chain mod

12-C

100 W
Ive never really been a fan of the 219 chain and wished that it came with bicycle chain. So I finally designed a carrier to mate with the smallest single speed cog (13t) I could find.

I won't be able to have it heated as low but that's ok.

Printed this model to test. Works well, chain line to stay like stock. M4 bolts to hold the cog against the carrier. Circlip to hold the carrier like stock.

Was thinking to have this machined from steel, but I think aluminum would work, no? Theres 4mm of mating/ load bearing surface with the HG interface...

20220525_215346.jpg
20220525_215341.jpg
20220525_215434.jpg
20220525_215520.jpg

I'll be curious to see how your mod works but there are very good reasons for using 219 instead of bike chain. How much is your gear ratio changing? You might find machining that to be a little more expensive than you would like for a one off but it looks like you could make a laser cut version that would work, might require a tiny bit of hand cleanup but be quite inexpensive to have made.

If you're willing to go through that much trouble you should do a belt drive conversion like another member here did (see link below). In fact, I wish someone would sell kits for that. I'd do my own but I don't have the equipment or ability to machine metal parts. And I'd worry about the durability of the bicycle chain in that application. But good luck and let us know how it turns out.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=112197

raylo32 said:
If you're willing to go through that much trouble you should do a belt drive conversion like another member here did (see link below). In fact, I wish someone would sell kits for that. I'd do my own but I don't have the equipment or ability to machine metal parts. With your plan I'd worry about the durability of the bicycle chain in that application. But good luck and let us know how it turns out.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=112197

scianiac said:
I'll be curious to see how your mod works but there are very good reasons for using 219 instead of bike chain. How much is your gear ratio changing? You might find machining that to be a little more expensive than you would like for a one off but it looks like you could make a laser cut version that would work, might require a tiny bit of hand cleanup but be quite inexpensive to have made.

I used to run the tangent setup with a 10 speed chain and there were never any issues. It's going to be roughly the same gearing as it was then.
With the 219 setup I had 11t x 68t reduction, with this im going to have 13t x 38t.
I found the 219 to be very noisy. No real benefit imo seeing that a bicycle chain stood up to the astro 3220 without problem

That is quite a bit jump in reduction, I don't know off the top of my head what the gearbox reduction of the Tangent vs the CYC is but I would guess the CYC is less. You could be totally correct for your use case though, I'm just making guesses. I have wondered how much louder 219 is and why exactly that is the case, be interesting to see a side by side comparison.

Back