Cooling outrunner with sprayed water?

Aside from the bearings and magnets rusting...
I would worry that the thermal shock might destroy the winding insulation.

I'd find a fan to mount to the motor can for additional cooling. Pic belongs to Nightflyr over on Helifreak.com.

picture.php

I’ve got stainless steel bearings and a fully insulated stator and of course fully electrically insulated winding and magnets don’t rust. I’m feeling like u can just pour water on to cool it ..except for the possible temp shock to the magnet glue and possibly the winding enamel but the winding is also coated in epoxy that’s been vacuumed in.

I added a water inlet port to my early big brushless golden motor. Oddly the controller would fault out until it was drained mostly dry inside again. Maybe electrostatic coupling to case? Maybe it messed with the encoder? It seemed like it would work great to me, but wouldn't run without faults. Maybe just a Sevcon issue.

If you start spray cooling it before it get really hot to begin with, there won't be much thermal shock.
I've seen projects use a water/alcohol mix too for improved evaporation.

Here's a picture from a guys ekart here on ES. Using a repurposed clutch lever to actuate it remotely.
I just searched spray cooling...
MistBottle.jpg

ice kisser :roll:

safe said:
:arrow: Ice Kissing will work, the math says so.

safe said:
Spray cooling has profound cooling implications with COTS electronics and has been proven successful by the Navy with electric motors. The Internal Injection Method is one spray cooling methodology that demonstrates thermal improvements of up to 1600%.
https://web.archive.org/web/20070203102622/https://www.cotsjournalonline.com/home/article.php?id=100289

Sure it’ll work. I’ve used drenched 80100 and 63100 motors on my efoil without issues - in both fresh and salt water. If there are any isolation faults in the winding your controller might lock so it’s wise to do an isolation test before any spraying. :wink:

Back