TSDZ2 Newbie with lots of basic questions -

GrampaPete

10 mW
Hi -

Recently installed a TSDZ2 motor from eco-ebike in the US. 52 volt with stock software. Here are my questions:

1. Motor feels very rough (stutter) when starting. What could this be?

2. A friend with the same motor feels very different. He told me each motor has its own personality. Is this true? And why? And what can be done to make the motors more consistent?

3. Would I be smart to go to OSF to see what it does? If so, are then any technical settings that I will have to make to the software after install (I am a great mechanic but not motor savvy).

Thanks for your help.

GrampaPete

Yes there are parameters you have set for the motor to run at it's best, also check tightness of all mountings after initial run mountings settle in and sometimes the motor will loosen.

GrampaPete said:
Hi -

Recently installed a TSDZ2 motor from eco-ebike in the US. 52 volt with stock software. Here are my questions:

1. very rough ... What could this be?

2. ... each motor has its own personality. Is this true? And why? And what can be done ...

3. Would I be smart to go to OSF to see what it does? ...
For some reason the torquesensor is the strongest and weakest point of the tsdz2.
That because the sensitivity form all motors is different and gives the motor a different behaviour.

To improve this, you can flash OSF and do a software calibration for the working range of your torquesensor.
But if your torquesensor has a very small range, a software calibration could improve just a bit, but problably not enough.
For that you can improve the range a lot with a hardware calibration.
But for this you need to dissamble the torquesensor

For flashing OSF you only need a usb ST-link V2 and install some software.
You can read all this in the wiki

I received files from eco-ebike to flash my TSDZ2 to go from stock to OSF. I can verify that the display was flashed but I get an error "ebrakes or comms" when I turn the system on. I suspect the flash of the motor failed. Is there a way to find out if it worked?

Thanks,

Grampa Pete

I am hoping someone here has had the MOTOR INIT issue. I am trying to install OSF on a motor/display with stock firmware. I am following the eco-ebike instructions to a "T" and I get this error no matter which version I try to flash. I expect that something I am doing is wrong but I have no idea where to start.

GrampaPete said:
.... I am trying to install OSF on a motor/display with stock firmware. ........
Besides flashing the bootloader to 860C. Have you flashed OSF on the controller too?

I am embarrassed to admit that I mistakenly thought I had a problem when I really didn't. I just needed to take the trike off the workstand and ride it. Then everything worked.

I apologize in advance for my ignorance, but I am not quite sure of how the motor maximum wattage is set. When I see an ad for a 500W TSDZ2 how is that different from a 750W TSDZ2? Is it a setting available in OSF? I guess I am really asking if any of the info is "hard wired" into the motor or is it all determined by the settings in the firmware?

The so-called 500w or 750w versions have identical hardware if they are rated for the same voltage. Their stock firmware differ by restriction of wattage. With the OSF you can set the maximum battery current and motor current to control the wattage. This is reasonable since the wattage of a motor is limited by heat, which has a direct relationship with current. There is no hard-wiring as you can go all the way to 18A with the OSF.

Be careful that without improving the cooling of the TSDZ2, you don't want to run it continuously at above 10 amps of battery current, especially in summer. Otherwise you can toast the inside motor (I did).

Most of the settings I can figure out, but there are some that are quite vague

For example, there is a MAX POWER shortcut. But what does MAX POWER do?

I would love to see a manual for the common man.

Grampa Pete

GrampaPete said:
... what does MAX POWER do?

I would love to see a manual for the common man......
I assume you mean OSF v20.1C.4-860C

You can find the manual were you downloaded the software
https://github.com/emmebrusa/TSDZ2-Smart-EBike-860C/tree/master/manuals

Also the wiki has some information
https://github.com/emmebrusa/TSDZ2-Smart-EBike-860C/wiki

MAX Power in the manual and that wiki:

"Maximum motor power, set an adequate value to contain the motor heating and compatible with the power that the battery can deliver.
A maximum value of 500W is recommended.
Attention, it does not have to be continuous!
"

I haven't made any changes to my settings using V4 OSF. Normally when I ride I use 8-9wh/mi. Today I was struggling and getting only 3-4wh/mi. What settings should I check?

Thanks,

Pete

With Eco Cycles supplying a heat sink, is there any particular reason to set max power to 450 as suggested in the V4 OSF instructions? Can you safely go higher?

GrampaPete said:
With Eco Cycles supplying a heat sink, is there any particular reason to set max power to 450 as suggested in the V4 OSF instructions? Can you safely go higher?
Imho it is better to answer you in this thread . This to prevent fragmentation about the same subject

FYI
Please don't try to open a new topic for every question, but try first to ask this question in a longer existing thread.

That heat sink alone is not enough for heat shedding. There's significant heat resistance between the laminations and the aluminum motor base. That said, you can shortly hit 750w and should be fine if you keep your average below 450w.

If you'd like to start hot rodding, feel free to find a solution in the thread shared by Elinx. But this motor is limited to some 600-700w in the long run, from every aspect. Somewhere else will start to fail apart persisting at above 700w even if it's kept cool.

Back