BBSHD runs 7 seconds, then stops. Help!

Stu Summer

100 W
My BBSHD runs for 7 seconds, then stops. It runs only at one even speed, regardless of how far the throttle is turned. It will only run again if turned off and then back on. And then only for 7 seconds again. The “crank” image comes on after the motor runs. It turns back off when the system is cycled off and then on again.

The brake cut-offs are not connected. There is no shift sensor. The speed sensor shows the speed of the wheel turning accurately.

Why is this and how can I fix it?

Thanks!!

Stu Summer said:
My BBSHD runs for 7 seconds, then stops. It runs only at one even speed, regardless of how far the throttle is turned. It will only run again if turned off and then back on. And then only for 7 seconds again. The “crank” image comes on after the motor runs. It turns back off when the system is cycled off and then on again.

The brake cut-offs are not connected. There is no shift sensor. The speed sensor shows the speed of the wheel turning accurately.

Why is this and how can I fix it?

Thanks!!

Which display? I'm not familiar with the "crank" image. Since it sounds like a throttle problem it might be error code 4 or 5 but I'm not sure. Usually the motor won't start at all when it generates errors. Maybe it's a problem with the walking mode? If the button that activates the walking mode is stuck it might activate the walking mode then run for a few seconds and fault out. Just spit balling.

It is an older system. Many miles on it. I have replaced all of the anderson plugs in the controller, which have shorted over the years. I thought the last Anderson was the problem but the problem continues after replacing it. If I put it on a higher assist level, it does go faster but still kicks off after a few seconds. (It turns out it is not a consistent 7 seconds). The display is the DPC-07.

It is showing error 12--Current Sensor Failure.

Those were good questions! I appreciate your help.

Sounds like an intermittent connection somewhere.

A locally high resistance for example a bent power supply '' wire " with broken copper strands hidden and still displaying continuity.

Stu Summer said:
It is an older system. Many miles on it. I have replaced all of the anderson plugs in the controller, which have shorted over the years. I thought the last Anderson was the problem but the problem continues after replacing it. If I put it on a higher assist level, it does go faster but still kicks off after a few seconds. (It turns out it is not a consistent 7 seconds). The display is the DPC-07.

It is showing error 12--Current Sensor Failure.

Those were good questions! I appreciate your help.

Code 12? You'll have to check the connections in the controller, maybe the white clip didn't get pushed in all the way or a pin got bent. I have 3 controllers so it's easy for me to say but I'd just swap out the controller if it was throwing a code 12. You could have a bad FET and I'm not sure you could even diagnose that.

I guess maybe that's why they switched out the Anderson connectors for spade. I run a lot of power to mine and so far no issues. If you're in the states Luna has the older A style controllers. If you have the skills and the wire you might want to swap to the spade connectors on the stator side and go with the newer controller.

They were Anderson look alikes and many were poorly seated connectors. Bafanged sgain. Don’t look closely st any of their PCBs. Sad really…

Okay, I have to fess up to a combination of stupidity and dyslexia (which I didn't know I had.). Turns out the problem was that the motor just does turn itself off if there isn't any load. I didn't have the chain connected and so the motor would run and then turn off. This was after permanently crimping where the anderson connections were. That was a worthwhile repair. The dyslexia part was reading 21 upside down and seeing 12. Error 21 is about the speed sensor. Without the chain connected, the controller didn't like that it was running but no movement was being created in the wheel. Thanks for all of your comments, sorry to take your time!!

Stu Summer said:
Okay, I have to fess up to a combination of stupidity and dyslexia (which I didn't know I had.). Turns out the problem was that the motor just does turn itself off if there isn't any load. I didn't have the chain connected and so the motor would run and then turn off. This was after permanently crimping where the anderson connections were. That was a worthwhile repair. The dyslexia part was reading 21 upside down and seeing 12. Error 21 is about the speed sensor. Without the chain connected, the controller didn't like that it was running but no movement was being created in the wheel. Thanks for all of your comments, sorry to take your time!!

Glad you figured it out and took the time to share. I think the single thing that provides the greatest value/contribution to the forum is closing the loop on what actually happened and how an issue was resolved. That makes the thread valuable to anyone reading it in the future. Without it, and the thread will likely only help the one person, one time.

Stu Summer said:

Thanks for the transparency. This is how we learn. BTW been there done that! The golden years add a special twist...

Back